follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-16-2019, 12:44 AM   #1
Inazuma in NS

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Header advice - 2017

Hi all,

New owner of a Canadian 2017 Inazuma or Yellow edition. Bought with 10,000 kms and in immaculate condition. Previous owner put quite a few mods into it listed below.

OEM+ Ref 450q
Borla Cat Back exhaust
Eibach pro-plus Suspension springs and Front / Rear sway bars (car is lowered)

Perrin Rear shifter Bushing
Perrin Transmission mount support
Grimmspeed Cold air intake
HKS intake scoop
AEM Front Strut bar
Grimmspeed Gas Hood struts

many more cosmetic add-ons I won't list.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to tuning or modifying so I went for an "easy' gain and purchased an OpenFlash Tablet V2 and managed to install a stage 1 tune. I did notice a difference but now as I research more I'm thinking I'm going to change out the header for a greater gain.

These forums are amazing to read and I think I've settled on the Ace A-350 with a Ceramic coatings from CounterSpace....here comes the advice part.

Best gas I have here is 91 Octane and I'm not sure if there are any really good tuning shops in Halifax N.S.

Is it possible to install the A-350 and have a tune done with the OFT and makes some respectable gains or would I be wasting my time. I see that most go with a Delicious tune and that seems like a completely different system. As I stated I'm novice and the OFT was easy for my skill level, I'm not interested in taking my car to the track but I do drive a lot faster that I should and want to remove that dip.

I know if I'm investing in the new header I should have it professionally tuned however as stated I don't think there is a quality tuner garage locally ( or one that's been given good feedback from what I've heard ).

Thoughts? and that you in advance for all the comments and the forums you've created here.
Inazuma in NS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 01:41 AM   #2
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
AFAIK it's possible to get something via OFT, eg. trying long tube header avcs tables and work from there, but usually people choosing/buying ace headers have clear goal of getting best, and for best gains with them one should go with DT ecutek tune. Ace headers showed little gains with generic OTS tunes, Delicious spent LOT of dyno time of getting tune right on those. So i'd probably unmarry OFT from car, sell it in classifieds, and install DT tune. Of course, it's also possible to have it locally tuned, but i'm certain that nor you nor hypothetical local professional tuner be able to invest that much time/money as DT did for getting tune right, even if tuner is competent enough, so it looks to me as spending more to get less. Better go proven route.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-17-2019), wparsons (10-22-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:21 AM   #3
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ SOLD
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You should message @Wayno he has tuned a lot with OFT, his own ACE header as well. His tunes are better than what you'll get from OFTs own site.
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (10-17-2019), Tristor (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazuma in NS View Post
Hi all,

New owner of a Canadian 2017 Inazuma or Yellow edition. Bought with 10,000 kms and in immaculate condition. Previous owner put quite a few mods into it listed below.

OEM+ Ref 450q
Borla Cat Back exhaust
Eibach pro-plus Suspension springs and Front / Rear sway bars (car is lowered)

Perrin Rear shifter Bushing
Perrin Transmission mount support
Grimmspeed Cold air intake
HKS intake scoop
AEM Front Strut bar
Grimmspeed Gas Hood struts

many more cosmetic add-ons I won't list.

I'm a complete novice when it comes to tuning or modifying so I went for an "easy' gain and purchased an OpenFlash Tablet V2 and managed to install a stage 1 tune. I did notice a difference but now as I research more I'm thinking I'm going to change out the header for a greater gain.

These forums are amazing to read and I think I've settled on the Ace A-350 with a Ceramic coatings from CounterSpace....here comes the advice part.

Best gas I have here is 91 Octane and I'm not sure if there are any really good tuning shops in Halifax N.S.

Is it possible to install the A-350 and have a tune done with the OFT and makes some respectable gains or would I be wasting my time. I see that most go with a Delicious tune and that seems like a completely different system. As I stated I'm novice and the OFT was easy for my skill level, I'm not interested in taking my car to the track but I do drive a lot faster that I should and want to remove that dip.

I know if I'm investing in the new header I should have it professionally tuned however as stated I don't think there is a quality tuner garage locally ( or one that's been given good feedback from what I've heard ).

Thoughts? and that you in advance for all the comments and the forums you've created here.
If you're set on the ACE header, I'd say save up a bit and get ECUTek and tune it that way. It seems intimidating but there are some great videos talking you through it.

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:43 AM   #5
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
assuming you have a laptop, then ecutek is really no different or more complicated then a OFT. Download ecutek software, plug in dongle and then OBDII cable to car, download tune from tuner, upload into ECU. pretty easy and straightforward.

I initially used OFT OTS tune with ACE header and noticed almost zero gains, then i got a custom tune and it was a night and day difference not even the same car anymore. in hind sight i would have gone ecutek from the get go. My custom OFT tune was perfectly fine but it took 6 months to finish. and i ended up going FI and switching to ecutek anyways.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I think a good tuner would prefer the stock airbox. After that, ace header with tune from csg will be the best and most expensive. I use oft and generic header but I'm using e85 so it really doesn't matter.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:47 PM   #7
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
You are better off with a stock header and good tune than a good header and shit tune. I would do the tune from CSG(Zack) then header if finances allow.

Last edited by Grady; 10-17-2019 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Spelling
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
Tristor (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 12:58 PM   #8
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
assuming you have a laptop, then ecutek is really no different or more complicated then a OFT. Download ecutek software, plug in dongle and then OBDII cable to car, download tune from tuner, upload into ECU. pretty easy and straightforward.

I initially used OFT OTS tune with ACE header and noticed almost zero gains, then i got a custom tune and it was a night and day difference not even the same car anymore. in hind sight i would have gone ecutek from the get go. My custom OFT tune was perfectly fine but it took 6 months to finish. and i ended up going FI and switching to ecutek anyways.
That's interesting. Initially when I got my OFT my car was worse with an OTS tune(stupid Perrin CAI). Once I got the Maf scaled properly it was an improvement. Sticking a header, Nameless, also was quite a noticeable improvement with no change to the base tune. It did, like you, take a season of fine tuning to get it to a spot where it is pretty good.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:14 PM   #9
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
That's interesting. Initially when I got my OFT my car was worse with an OTS tune(stupid Perrin CAI). Once I got the Maf scaled properly it was an improvement. Sticking a header, Nameless, also was quite a noticeable improvement with no change to the base tune. It did, like you, take a season of fine tuning to get it to a spot where it is pretty good.
OFT OTS tunes work fairly well with most header designs. Can still be optimized for specific setups but not necessary unless you need MAF scaling. However the ACE header in particular is just too different of a design to work well and benefit from a OFT OTS tune. So it needs a custom tune.
Old 10-17-2019, 01:29 PM   #10
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
OFT OTS tunes work fairly well with most header designs. Can still be optimized for specific setups but not necessary unless you need MAF scaling. However the ACE header in particular is just too different of a design to work well and benefit from a OFT OTS tune. So it needs a custom tune.
I understand that. I just find it odd as I did notice a difference with the Nameless which requires quite a bit of change to the avcs table to get the most out of. I just find that interesting.
NoHaveMSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:10 PM   #11
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
There are already ACE specific OFT tunes available for the ACE header from 3rd party tuners. Wayno has delt with them and most likely Steve99 has as well. Cam settings for the Nameless header are even readily available with a forum search.
The Following User Says Thank You to PulsarBeeerz For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 08:00 PM   #12
86TOYO2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
There are already ACE specific OFT tunes available for the ACE header from 3rd party tuners. Wayno has delt with them and most likely Steve99 has as well. Cam settings for the Nameless header are even readily available with a forum search.
They offer free OTS OFT ACE tunes? Or they are able to provide custom oft tunes for the ace? Because i was not aware of the former.
Old 10-17-2019, 08:28 PM   #13
PulsarBeeerz

Quote:
They offer free OTS OFT ACE tunes? Or they are able to provide custom oft tunes for the ace? Because i was not aware of the former.
They aren't free, gotta pay for their time but, atleast one of them has tunes available for well below $100. Even has variations of the tune with different MAF calibrations to dial in the A/F raito.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:02 PM   #14
Inazuma in NS

Drives: 2017 BRZ Inazuma
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Sorry, was busy last couple days... thanks for all the responses. I didn't realize the ECUtek was as straight forward as the OFT. If it's something I can do without a tuning garage and Dyno I might try that. That leaves a DT or CSG to buy a tune from.

The Ace seems like the header for me based on the reviews and feedback. I'm going to winter my car very soon so I can research all my options.

I still have my stock Air intake and scoop in a box, are the Grimmspeed and HKS that bad or screws up the tune I assume?
Inazuma in NS is offline   Reply With Quote