follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
klearfade

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
FRS Winjet Foglight red wire install

Hi and thanks for reading.

I have searched far and wide (Youtube, and Here), and it seems that no one gives a clear answer on where to wire the power wire that comes with the FRS Winjet Foglight Kit. I do know that I am suppose to t-tap into a wire located underneath the dash kick panel, but which one? I would imagine I want my fogs to be on when my low beams are on. If this is the case which wire is this on a 2013 FRS? One diagram ive seen gives one color, then another video gives another color.

In short, can anybody post a picture or point me in the right direction to which wire i am suppose to tap into, to have my fogs function as they were intended?

P.S.-I do want them on with my low beams, but the kit also comes with a switch to turn them on and off.

I now know why most opt in for the DIODE selection.

Thank you for your help
Outlander (03-17-2021)
Old 11-02-2015, 01:49 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27581
klearfade (11-02-2015)
Old 11-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #3
klearfade

Green wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I dont believe that is a winjet kit in the video. Different wire set up, as well as installation technique i believe. Its self explanatory I will say that, its just i just need the wire location and color for low beam headlights.

Last edited by klearfade; 11-02-2015 at 02:14 PM. Reason: ed
klearfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 02:13 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by klearfade View Post
I dont believe that is a winjet kit in the video. Different wire set up, as well as installation technique i believe.
Wire location would be the same though.
Old 11-02-2015, 02:23 PM   #5
klearfade

Yep I see

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Wire location would be the same though.
It look likes his green wire is the power wire. Its just he's the only person Ive seen wire it away from the kick panel....The harness just looks different
Old 11-03-2015, 03:37 AM   #6
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi and thanks for reading.

I have searched far and wide (Youtube, and Here), and it seems that no one gives a clear answer on where to wire the power wire that comes with the FRS Winjet Foglight Kit. I do know that I am suppose to t-tap into a wire located underneath the dash kick panel, but which one? I would imagine I want my fogs to be on when my low beams are on. If this is the case which wire is this on a 2013 FRS? One diagram ive seen gives one color, then another video gives another color.

In short, can anybody post a picture or point me in the right direction to which wire i am suppose to tap into, to have my fogs function as they were intended?

P.S.-I do want them on with my low beams, but the kit also comes with a switch to turn them on and off.

I now know why most opt in for the DIODE selection.

Thank you for your help
Should of gotten the Diode Option

On a serious note, you can still just get the harness from Diode if you don't want to go through with the switch install. (Assuming you have H11 bulbs)

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N1rve For This Useful Post:
klearfade (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:49 AM   #7
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I can sympathize w/ Klearfade, the O.P. I've got the Winjet kit, too, but I've put off the install because I'm not real clear on where to connect the switch power wire, either. On every car I've owned with fog lights, the switch that turned on the fog lights was over-ridden by the hi-beam switch. In other words, you had two choices..

1. Fog light dash switch off - you could have Low or High beams, but no fog lights.;

2. Fog light dash switch on - Fog lights were on when your low beams were on, but automatically turned off when you put on your high beams.

That's the way fog lights are supposed to work, and it'd be great to be able figure out how to wire them like that. I know some folks add the fog lights because they like the way they look, or just the idea of having more light, but the IDEA behind fog lights is to throw more light low to the road and to the sides when it's foggy; it helps illuminate the fog line and lane lines on the road. You wouldn't use your high beams in that situation because you get so much glare in fog; there really isn't any driving situation where having high beams AND fog lights on would be helpful.

So, I'll echo klear's original question... can anyone help us out with a specific location for the switch power wire to make that happen, or at least have the fog switch only work when the headlights are on?

Thanks..best to all!

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
klearfade (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
MuseChaser

Quote:
Originally Posted by N1rve View Post
Should of gotten the Diode Option

On a serious note, you can still just get the harness from Diode if you don't want to go through with the switch install. (Assuming you have H11 bulbs)
The DiodeDynamics option, while they look to be high quality lights, doesn't wire to a dash switch at all; all the wiring is in the engine compartment and they use press-fit T-splice connectors right at the headlight connections. For us in heavy salt-use areas, that's a virtual guarantee for eventual corrosion, and a non-starter. Secondly, their harness has the fog lights on, constantly, whenever the headlights are on. That's not how fog lights are supposed to work.

I wish the DiodeDynamics kit included the switch (maybe OEM, too, like the great bezels they include?) and associated wiring for the switch. If it did, that's the kit I'd install. The Winjet should be fine, once I figure out where to grab power for the switch.

Barry
The Following User Says Thank You to MuseChaser For This Useful Post:
klearfade (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:12 AM   #9
klearfade

Yeah what he said LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I can sympathize w/ Klearfade, the O.P. I've got the Winjet kit, too, but I've put off the install because I'm not real clear on where to connect the switch power wire, either. On every car I've owned with fog lights, the switch that turned on the fog lights was over-ridden by the hi-beam switch. In other words, you had two choices..

1. Fog light dash switch off - you could have Low or High beams, but no fog lights.;

2. Fog light dash switch on - Fog lights were on when your low beams were on, but automatically turned off when you put on your high beams.

That's the way fog lights are supposed to work, and it'd be great to be able figure out how to wire them like that. I know some folks add the fog lights because they like the way they look, or just the idea of having more light, but the IDEA behind fog lights is to throw more light low to the road and to the sides when it's foggy; it helps illuminate the fog line and lane lines on the road. You wouldn't use your high beams in that situation because you get so much glare in fog; there really isn't any driving situation where having high beams AND fog lights on would be helpful.

So, I'll echo klear's original question... can anyone help us out with a specific location for the switch power wire to make that happen, or at least have the fog switch only work when the headlights are on?

Thanks..best to all!

Barry

I believe the wire is a green wire, which is the low beam.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:18 AM   #10
klearfade

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9497

Found it, only problem is that it says the Headlight wire is in the body ecu, which is no where close to the wire location.

Last edited by klearfade; 11-03-2015 at 11:20 AM. Reason: prob
klearfade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to klearfade For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (11-03-2015)
Old 11-03-2015, 11:30 AM   #11
MuseChaser

Quote:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9497

Found it, only problem is that it says the Headlight wire is in the body ecu, which is no where close to the wire location.
I had found that post a few days ago, downloaded the 400-page wiring manual, and promptly became overwhelmed. I can sort of read elementary schematics, but I get in over my head real fast. I'm not bad changing out parts and following directions, but car electrical systems make my head spin.

Page 192 shows the factory fog light circuit layout, but I confess I don't know enough to understand it. I don't see the switch anywhere, and there's four fuses shown... I know, I'm reading totally wrong, but I just don't get it. I'm used to looking at audio schematics... speaker crossovers, preamps, etc.. that stuff I sort of get 'cause it's all there at once. How do all of these pieces fit together?

I know.. too much for a single post. If you've got a good link to a good elementary car wiring primer, I'd be grateful.

Let me know if you DO isolate this elusive green wire!

Best..

Barry
Old 11-03-2015, 11:35 AM   #12
klearfade

Ill get back to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I had found that post a few days ago, downloaded the 400-page wiring manual, and promptly became overwhelmed. I can sort of read elementary schematics, but I get in over my head real fast. I'm not bad changing out parts and following directions, but car electrical systems make my head spin.

Page 192 shows the factory fog light circuit layout, but I confess I don't know enough to understand it. I don't see the switch anywhere, and there's four fuses shown... I know, I'm reading totally wrong, but I just don't get it. I'm used to looking at audio schematics... speaker crossovers, preamps, etc.. that stuff I sort of get 'cause it's all there at once. How do all of these pieces fit together?

I know.. too much for a single post. If you've got a good link to a good elementary car wiring primer, I'd be grateful.

Let me know if you DO isolate this elusive green wire!

Best..

Barry
When I find something ill get back to you, so we can both get this SHOULD BE SIMPLE INSTALL DONE.
Old 06-18-2017, 12:59 AM   #13
02.ACCORD.DUDE
Car N00B

Drives: Honda Accord (2002)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Listen I'm probably just an idiot but after searching YouTube and Google and watching every installation video I could find... which wire am I supposed to t-tap the red ignition wire to?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/winj...l#.WUYHqZ8pDqB

If someone could just tell me the color of the wire / position I'd appreciate it (as the name implies I really am a noob)...
02.ACCORD.DUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 10:28 PM   #14
Veeoh

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02.ACCORD.DUDE View Post
Listen I'm probably just an idiot but after searching YouTube and Google and watching every installation video I could find... which wire am I supposed to t-tap the red ignition wire to?

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/winj...l#.WUYHqZ8pDqB

If someone could just tell me the color of the wire / position I'd appreciate it (as the name implies I really am a noob)...
I just wrapped the red wire into a fuse and pushed the fuse back in it's place. Closed the fuse box lid and that was it. It's been a year and has been working fine.
Veeoh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veeoh For This Useful Post:
02.ACCORD.DUDE (06-23-2017)