follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 06-04-2016, 06:11 PM   #1
SyntrexFRS

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Grey
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Question about using OFT while under warranty

Hey guys,

Exactly as the title states. I want to get the open flash tablet and im aware that I can flash back to my original rom if I need to go to the dealership but I am still very hesitent to get this. I want it very bad and I its worth the money but its not worth voiding my warranty if it does. So have any of you used this while still under warranty and if so have you come across any issues?

Thanks,
Syntrex
SyntrexFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyntrexFRS View Post
Hey guys,

Exactly as the title states. I want to get the open flash tablet and im aware that I can flash back to my original rom if I need to go to the dealership but I am still very hesitent to get this. I want it very bad and I its worth the money but its not worth voiding my warranty if it does. So have any of you used this while still under warranty and if so have you come across any issues?

Thanks,
Syntrex
You can't have your warranty "voided" with any mod. The dealership has the capability to not pay for warranty work on specific parts if they suspect the problem was caused by your mod or abuse. For example they could refuse to cover the ECU warranty if it failed and they found that you had bricked it. However they would not be able to deny a warranty claim later on if your paint started to fall off in big flakes.

Last edited by Apoc; 06-04-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Apoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Apoc For This Useful Post:
SyntrexFRS (06-05-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 09:03 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,

Thanks,
Syntrex
The only 100% way to have the least possible waranttee issues is to leave car 100% stock.

With the OFT you have the abbility to flash back a 100% stock rom byte for byte back to ecu..
The dealer will see the same CVN or check sum ans same calibration id as stock if this is done. Extremly unlikely they would look further or be able to detect anything at dealer level.

If you had other mods such as catless header or intake these are easily spotted by dealers.

A tune is far more difficult to detect and if returned to stock virtually impossible at dealer level. Eeven if the ecu was sent for anaysis at higher levels all they may find is that it was reflashed but any evidence od what was flashed would be gone as each time a new tune is flashed the old one is completly erased from ecu.

Other tune systems such as ecutek leave some embedded licience info in the ecu code and this can be detected unless you overwrite this using an opensource tune system.

Basicly tunes are not easily seen,and if using oft and you wrote back a completly stock rom to car for service (and had no other visible hardware mods) you would be extremly unlikely to have any issues or be detected.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
SyntrexFRS (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 12:15 PM   #4
SyntrexFRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
The only 100% way to have the least possible waranttee issues is to leave car 100% stock.

With the OFT you have the abbility to flash back a 100% stock rom byte for byte back to ecu..
The dealer will see the same CVN or check sum ans same calibration id as stock if this is done. Extremly unlikely they would look further or be able to detect anything at dealer level.

If you had other mods such as catless header or intake these are easily spotted by dealers.

A tune is far more difficult to detect and if returned to stock virtually impossible at dealer level. Eeven if the ecu was sent for anaysis at higher levels all they may find is that it was reflashed but any evidence od what was flashed would be gone as each time a new tune is flashed the old one is completly erased from ecu.

Other tune systems such as ecutek leave some embedded licience info in the ecu code and this can be detected unless you overwrite this using an opensource tune system.

Basicly tunes are not easily seen,and if using oft and you wrote back a completly stock rom to car for service (and had no other visible hardware mods) you would be extremly unlikely to have any issues or be detected.
Thanks Steve for the very informative response and quick at that. What you said has kinda put me at ease and I think I may pick one up because the pros are really great in my eyes and from what you and everyone else on the forum is saying I shouldnt have any detection issues and the bottom line is if i use the stage1-4 maps that is provided with the OFT the chances of something breaking is not likely at all and if something was to break it would most likely not be caused by the tune but by something else (that was something I saw Shiv say on another thread)
Old 06-05-2016, 11:33 PM   #5
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Thanks Steve for the very informative response and quick at that. What you said has kinda put me at ease and I think I may pick one up because the pros are really great in my eyes and from what you and everyone else on the forum is saying I shouldnt have any detection issues and the bottom line is if i use the stage1-4 maps that is provided with the OFT the chances of something breaking is not likely at all and if something was to break it would most likely not be caused by the tune but by something else (that was something I saw Shiv say on another thread)
Fyi, even if it's 110% not because of the tune, flash it back to stock BEFORE going to the dealer. They will try to blame any and all drive train issues on the tune.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (06-05-2016), SyntrexFRS (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 11:44 AM   #6
SyntrexFRS

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Fyi, even if it's 110% not because of the tune, flash it back to stock BEFORE going to the dealer. They will try to blame any and all drive train issues on the tune.
Yea i dont ever plan on going to the dealer with the tune applied i was more or less concerned on whether they would be able to detect that it previously was applied and flashed back to the original