follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-25-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
sfruski

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Where is the transponder key ECU assembly located?

Part number: SU00302751
sfruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 08:07 AM   #16
rabbit86_

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsguy83 View Post
Picture of the key? Regular FRS keys have an immobilizer chip in them.

I don't believe there is any ignition lock for brake fluid.

Need to check the CEL with a legitimate OBD scanner, Torque can only read engine ECU, the code could be ABS, or other of the car system.

There are ignition fuses in the engine bay (If I'm not mistaken, I once helped a local find a blown IGN fuse and it was in the engine bay box, not inside the cabin), just mentioning it because some of them are not super obvious to check.
I wonder if I had the same problem, 2013 automatic frs shut off while driving no lights inside car no flashers only brake lights come on other than that the car is a brick?
rabbit86_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 03:53 AM   #17
krauterz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Did you end up figuring this out?
I am having essentially the exact same issue.
krauterz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2021, 04:39 PM   #18
sfruski

Drives: Many
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit86_ View Post
I wonder if I had the same problem, 2013 automatic frs shut off while driving no lights inside car no flashers only brake lights come on other than that the car is a brick?
This sounds like a bad ground, possibly a bad alternator/battery.
sfruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:38 AM   #19
Maafeu

Drives: 2020+ Toyota FRZ
Not sure if you figured this out, but I'm currently having the same problem.

2013 FR-S. Running perfectly fine. Flipped all harnesses to 2013 BRZ, including the ECU and all computer components, Key Immoblizer, everything. Turned the key and I'm getting no crank at all. However I can lock and unlock the door. Hooked up Techstream and I'm getting B1572 code as well. Sounds like a syncing issue. None of the engine components are bad as I flipped back to the FR-S setup and it's back to running perfectly fine.

So it sounds like a device syncing issue, however as far as I know all the components came from the same donor car. If it's a matter of the immoblizer not talking to the ECU then that could be the case...but when I attempt to start the car, I get the green key light as well as the red flashing light still, so the code from Techstream does make sense.

Guess I'll have to invest in the Key-Pass software unless anyone else has some other ideas.

Thanks in advance.
Maafeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 11:11 AM   #20
Rabrooks

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
You have to get the key squared away first. All codes relate to that. Buy an ebay blank with the lock unlock buttons. It will have a chip. Then. Locksmith can provram the key to your immobilizer. Then you can figure out the rest. If you have all sorts of parts from various cars, the dealer can fix it. All this for a fat price. Buying the propercomponents from ebay will be cheaper. But make sure all the parts are from 1 car with key turn setup from a manual car. You need the cluster, the ecm, the integrated assembly module, and the top portion of steering stalk with ignition switch/immobilizer transponder. Otbers say you need the power steering module too but i cant verify that. My opinion is its best to get it. And get the small keyless entry module. Its on the shelf by rear glass
Rabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #21
clio

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfruski View Post
What part does combination meter assembly reference too? The gauge cluster or something else?
The gauge cluster
clio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 01:56 AM   #22
Maafeu

@Rabrooks So, I'm not sure if this was resolved, but I'm still having my problem.

I've swapped back to the frs setup and it was fine, decided to take on the brz swap again and I'm having the same problem, then again, nothing was really changed.

All the parts you mentioned, I have with the exception of the power steering. Checking into the security path, I didn't see the gauge cluster or the power steering needed, but even with the gauge cluster from the original car, I'm still experiencing the same problem.

In techstream I'm getting the same b1572 error, but going into the smart ecu readings replies back with an error stating the communication was lost. I can check other readings, however the smart ecu is the problem, which would explain, basically everything if the module is defective. I unfortunately don't have another one to test it with. I've check the fuses, tried 2 different dash harnesses. Still the same outcome.
@sfruski did you solve the issue you were having?
Old 08-21-2022, 03:36 AM   #23
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Try this

you will need techstream , can be aquired with cable fairly cheaply on ebay

AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2022, 03:38 AM   #24
AussieBRZ

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Also try the ECU resync here jyst the loop pins 4-13 on obd for 30 minutes or more part

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102810
AussieBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 01:51 PM   #25
Maafeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AussieBRZ View Post
Try this

you will need techstream , can be aquired with cable fairly cheaply on ebay

Hey thanks for this. I tried this but because I'm going to a BRZ, Techstream didn't show the options that this video had. It looked promising, but there was nothing I can see that took care of that.

As it stands right now I need to have the car working so I'm rolling it back to the FRS with the "BRZ Template" uninstalled. I would love to have this done as I havent heard or anyone doing it before / doing it successfully. I alos like the BRZ interior over the FRS (more modern).
Old 09-07-2022, 01:19 AM   #26
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maafeu View Post
Hey thanks for this. I tried this but because I'm going to a BRZ, Techstream didn't show the options that this video had. It looked promising, but there was nothing I can see that took care of that.

As it stands right now I need to have the car working so I'm rolling it back to the FRS with the "BRZ Template" uninstalled. I would love to have this done as I havent heard or anyone doing it before / doing it successfully. I alos like the BRZ interior over the FRS (more modern).
For the immobilizer, their is two different systems:
Push start and turn key.

For turn key the following systems are involved: Cluster, BCM, Key, engine ECU.
For Push start: Certification ECU, Keyfob, Steering wheel lock module, Engine ECU.
For either system, a additional "ID code box" might also be in the car depending on your country. Like CANada/UK have them.

For turn key, If you break the BCM for any reason , you buy a new one, you can do the following: Turn the car on, Connect techstream to the car, Bind the Clsuter to the BCM using that video that was showed. Then finally you can use the paperclip method to bind the BCM to the engine ECU. Do note that although techstream can do the Cluster to BCM bind on any car. Techstream might not be able to add new keys to a subaru system and vice versa. Their was some weird programming on some of these cars and so sometimes it wont let you. Also for turn key toyotas, the immobilizer system doesnt match other "G" chips that toyota uses, so when replacing it it needs to be a FRS specific. Second note. Unlike other Toyotas, a VALET key can and will program other keys as if they were a master key in the immobilizer system

Theirs also two differences how Techstream and SSM handles the imobilizer CERT ecu between Subaru and Toyota.

If you switched out your whole harness ecus.. everything.. did you switch out the Steering wheel lock? The box that attached via a "FLXER Bolt" to the shaft. without this also being switched out your car will not start. Most people forget this and cars wont start.

As for If you lose your keyfob car, Subaru and Toyota handle the immobilizer differently. On a toyota if all keys lost situation, techstream can still connect and reset all the modules in the car with a "seed key". So no need to dissasemble anything.

On subaru however......Their software it setup in a way that the car needs to be on for SSM to connect to the car. But no keys .. on car on situation.. No reprogramming... a replacement has to be done of the module inside the car.

Anyways your code b1572, seem to to "ID code box" code. So im guessing your in canada? If you are.. please note that US dash harness will not work on CAN modules. If you forgot to also switch the "ID code box" and both are CAN then you probably forgot to switch those out too.
churchx (09-07-2022), Maafeu (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #27
Maafeu

Quote:
Originally Posted by geraldjust View Post
For the immobilizer, their is two different systems:
Push start and turn key.

For turn key the following systems are involved: Cluster, BCM, Key, engine ECU.
For Push start: Certification ECU, Keyfob, Steering wheel lock module, Engine ECU.
For either system, a additional "ID code box" might also be in the car depending on your country. Like CANada/UK have them.

For turn key, If you break the BCM for any reason , you buy a new one, you can do the following: Turn the car on, Connect techstream to the car, Bind the Clsuter to the BCM using that video that was showed. Then finally you can use the paperclip method to bind the BCM to the engine ECU. Do note that although techstream can do the Cluster to BCM bind on any car. Techstream might not be able to add new keys to a subaru system and vice versa. Their was some weird programming on some of these cars and so sometimes it wont let you. Also for turn key toyotas, the immobilizer system doesnt match other "G" chips that toyota uses, so when replacing it it needs to be a FRS specific. Second note. Unlike other Toyotas, a VALET key can and will program other keys as if they were a master key in the immobilizer system

Theirs also two differences how Techstream and SSM handles the imobilizer CERT ecu between Subaru and Toyota.

If you switched out your whole harness ecus.. everything.. did you switch out the Steering wheel lock? The box that attached via a "FLXER Bolt" to the shaft. without this also being switched out your car will not start. Most people forget this and cars wont start.

As for If you lose your keyfob car, Subaru and Toyota handle the immobilizer differently. On a toyota if all keys lost situation, techstream can still connect and reset all the modules in the car with a "seed key". So no need to dissasemble anything.

On subaru however......Their software it setup in a way that the car needs to be on for SSM to connect to the car. But no keys .. on car on situation.. No reprogramming... a replacement has to be done of the module inside the car.

Anyways your code b1572, seem to to "ID code box" code. So im guessing your in canada? If you are.. please note that US dash harness will not work on CAN modules. If you forgot to also switch the "ID code box" and both are CAN then you probably forgot to switch those out too.

Hey, thanks for this information. I'll go over it again when I take another crack at it.

In short, All Harnesses were replaced with the exception of the engine harness. The Dash, Fusebox, both door (using the JDM Door Harness), both flooring, roof, and trunk harnesses were swapped.

All modules: Engine ECU, SMT Main ECU, ID Codebox, Power Steering ECU, TCM, Integ Unit assy ECU (Everything under the Dash) was swapped. Including the steering wheel lock. ( it wasn't installed, but it was connected)

All Key Sense Antennas were installed, (Trunk, Rear Bumper, Behind Push Start, and between the seats, including the receiver located on the drivers side rear shelf was swapped.

Both Door Handles (touch sense), the trunk key button, and key bolt was swapped, Fuel Module located on the passengers rear was swapped as well. I'm using the same keys that were from the Donor car.

I went as far as swapping the AC blower unit to the Dual Climate control.

Outcome: Key fob is recognized with the car to lock and unlock and open trunk. pushing the start button turns on the gauge cluster with lights. getting the IMMO code. engine doesnt crank at all.

The only things I haven't changed over are the following:

Fuel Injector Control Module: (using the FR-S Module) I May have to get a BRZ Programmed one, not sure if it's needed to make the car start / crank.

MAP Sensor: (using the FR-S) Doubt that's needed to have the engine crank.

Engine + Harness: I don't believe that's needed to be swapped.

Door lock actuators: I know the drivers side needs to be swapped to have the unlocking work properly.

Being that this is a Canadian car, the Gauge cluster isn't included in the IMMO Handshake. However for safe measure, I've tried it with the Cluster that was from the same donor car and still the same outcome.

I noticed when swapping to the BRZ Fusebox harness, the Fuel Relay module isn't connected anymore, there's a connection on the FR-S, but not the BRZ. Unsure if that relay is integrated into one of their other modules.

Any light on this issue would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-09-2022, 06:18 PM   #28
Maafeu

UPDATE:

So I just read your last part:

Quote:
This is interesting cause I have 3 dash harnesses, two of them were from the States, and the third one I got recently from a Canadian model. This might be the reason i'm getting this issue. It would make complete sense cause the US Dash Harness is wired in a way to have the Gauge cluster involved in the Immo Handshake, whereas the CAN Harness isnt.

I havent tried it yet as I'll wait to purchase some other items I need. This makes complete sense and I thank you in advance for informing me of that very precious piece of information, this may have saved my day!

I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by Maafeu; 09-10-2022 at 03:09 AM.