follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-18-2021, 03:57 PM   #225
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westen86 View Post
What is the shortcoming of this engine to not make 240+ crank hp in NA trim? Cams? I mean, dual injectors, VVT, 12.5:1.
Assuming 15-20% drivetrain loss full bolt on and tune is probably right about 240 crank.
Old 01-18-2021, 04:34 PM   #226
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
What are you so upset for?
Who said I was upset?

I'm giving (well deserved) harsh criticism. Does that clear it up for you? Maybe don't be so sensitive?
czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:37 PM   #227
PulsarBeeerz

Drives: JRSC BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by czellers View Post
Who said I was upset?

I'm giving (well deserved) harsh criticism. Does that clear it up for you? Maybe don't be so sensitive?
Maybe dont be so ungrateful and ignorant of a subject?
PulsarBeeerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 04:44 PM   #228
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by PulsarBeeerz View Post
Maybe dont be so ungrateful and ignorant of a subject?
Haha "ungrateful"?

1. I dont owe them any gratitude
2. I pointed out (among many) so key flaws in their approach.

Go buy it and stick it on your car, we'll be sure to catch your thread when its the apparent disappointmet to you that it clearly is.

Why are you so compelled to take random feedback on the internet so personally?

How about this, why not counter my position with some form of insightful thought(s) of your own on the subject rather than white-knighting for some random account? Oh, that's right, that would be the logical thing to do now wouldn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to czellers For This Useful Post:
Joveen (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:55 PM   #229
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Haha "ungrateful"?

Go buy it and stick it on your car, we'll be sure to catch your thread when its the apparent disappointmet to you that it clearly is.

How about this, why not counter my position with some form of insightful thought(s) of your own on the subject rather than white-knighting for some random account? Oh, that's right, that would be the logical thing to do now wouldn't it?

Your initial comment in this thread was in response to a post well over a year old. If you have read through the thread all the way you would see almost every point you have touched on, has already been posted. Probably in a more tasteful manner.

I have no dog in this fight, but honestly it would be nice to see posts about the actual facts of what the intake can OR can't do. Instead it's already getting buried in a dog pile of garbage.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:04 PM   #230
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Haha "ungrateful"?

How was their approach flawed?
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 05:10 PM   #231
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Your initial comment in this thread was in response to a post well over a year old. If you have read through the thread all the way you would see almost every point you have touched on, has already been posted. Probably in a more tasteful manner.

I have no dog in this fight, but honestly it would be nice to see posts about the actual facts of what the intake can OR can't do. Instead it's already getting buried in a dog pile of garbage.
Like you said "almost every point".. ive added value as it pertains to the context and thought process involved.

If I touched on things common/redundant to other posts in this 18 page thread, I guess I apologize.. its odd to focus on that though, versus the original thought(s). Oh well. Status quo for the internet i suppose..
Old 01-18-2021, 05:12 PM   #232
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
3) The community at large seems to emphatically condemn aftermarket intakes, so what was the point of throwing all that R&D at a part the community (NA especially), would seem, to be hell bent against modifying?
Most of the comments on intake not being worth it has to do with aftermarket CAI, not the manifold.

Quote:
Right, ok. so its somewhat of a consensus on the OEM airbox/snorkel being far superior than aftermarket intakes (at least thats what ive seen on this forum). Having said that, why would anyone assume that since the OEM airbox/snorkel is better than aftermarket options, that an aftermarket intake manifold would somehow bet better than OEM?
It is not that the OEM is better, it is that you are spending 250-400 bucks on something with marginal gains, big difference. You can get most of the gains from just a drop in filter without having to have the MAF scaling fixed.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:18 PM   #233
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
How was their approach flawed?
If the OEM intake manifold and intake system were designed and engineered in tandem, why would it be logical to assume (without vetted results/research driven investigative efforts yo identify suboptimal air flows/air volumes etc in the stock manifold)? Remember, we are talking about one of the most dynamic, ciritcal and adaptive systems of the engine. A simple change in air volume/density/velocity is certainly (according to multiple sources in this forum) grounds for advanced tuning and MAF rescaling etc.. thats just one.

If any of that seems way off base.. im all ears and open to discussion and likewise criticism.

I'm suggesting they took a sales oriented approach vs a real comprehensive engineering approach. But, thats MY OPINION, and thus the grounds for much of my criticism.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:02 PM   #234
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
If the OEM intake manifold and intake system were designed and engineered in tandem, why would it be logical to assume (without vetted results/research driven investigative efforts yo identify suboptimal air flows/air volumes etc in the stock manifold)? Remember, we are talking about one of the most dynamic, ciritcal and adaptive systems of the engine. A simple change in air volume/density/velocity is certainly (according to multiple sources in this forum) grounds for advanced tuning and MAF rescaling etc.. thats just one.

If any of that seems way off base.. im all ears and open to discussion and likewise criticism.

I'm suggesting they took a sales oriented approach vs a real comprehensive engineering approach. But, thats MY OPINION, and thus the grounds for much of my criticism.
All the na optimists and many bullshitters were looking for another performance mod. Racerx responded. Gains aren't great but they're there. A lot of effort went into it. Subaru took a comprehensive engineering approach. That's why it's so hard to improve upon
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
PulsarBeeerz (01-18-2021), RToyo86 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 06:28 PM   #235
czellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
All the na optimists and many bullshitters were looking for another performance mod. Racerx responded. Gains aren't great but they're there. A lot of effort went into it. Subaru took a comprehensive engineering approach. That's why it's so hard to improve upon
I would agree, and that last part is the entire premise of my position.

To hell with the outcome(s), its about the approach.
Old 01-18-2021, 07:50 PM   #236
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Well this has become entertaining. I think Racer X has been overly transparent with their iterative process. I believe based on the resources they had at hand they did a good job. Suggesting that their design process was based around a quick buck rather than trying to create a niche product to fill a hole in the market is very presumptuous. That said they are a business and they don't make products for shits and giggles, they make products to turn a profit to, no doubt, feed themselves and their family.

For me personally the manifold doesn't offer what I am looking for but for others it may well. Thankfully due to their transparency I know this rather than having dished out money on a dream. To my thinking if they were to advertise the manifold as having X and Y gains in torque and power without the demonstration of iterations and without the resulting torque curves it would be a money grab and should be called out as such.

As a consumer having a broad range of choices is good and we should encourage more companies to develop intake manifolds. Especially if they can show the resulting changes to the torque curve like we have here. If you don't see the point of trying to develop products to improve NA power delivery then you won't understand why this was made in the first place.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (01-20-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:16 PM   #237
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Yikes. . This went left field in no time lol. I hope someone can give some numbers after getting a pro tune to see how much was made before and after stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (01-18-2021)
Old 01-18-2021, 08:22 PM   #238
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,093 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Surprised that nobody has mentioned the other benefits- you can fit your hand under it, less of a heat trap, no nonsense ports for vacuum leaks..
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkPira7e For This Useful Post:
bfrank1972 (01-18-2021)