follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 09-19-2022, 03:23 PM   #1
IsaiahW

Drives: 2013 Subaru brz limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wont go into gear

Installed new transmission and clutch itll go into gear with vehicle off but not with the vehicle on i have no leaks good resistance from the pressure plate and clutch pedal what are ways i can test theories

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
IsaiahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2022, 04:05 PM   #2
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
What's the clutch? ACT?
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
Turdinator (09-29-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
IsaiahW

Comp twin disc

Old 09-20-2022, 12:02 AM   #4
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
means something isn't set up right and the clutch isn't disengaging entirely.
x808drifter (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 08:38 AM   #5
blsfrs

Drives: 2013 frs base
Tried this?

blsfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:15 AM   #6
IsaiahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
means something isn't set up right and the clutch isn't disengaging entirely.

Would i hear any grinding or chatter from the trans if i didnt set it properly? Im asking because i dont have any noise but i did the ole start in first gear with clutch applied but its as if the pressure plate is done or my adjustment could be off. I have a comp twin disk and tilton hydraulic release bearing everything is new. I forgot to note that this is a cd009 swap

Old 09-20-2022, 12:35 PM   #7
blsfrs

You won't hear grinding on forward gears because you are bumping into the synchro rings. Grinding when attempting to put in reverse if your clutch is not disengaging.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:48 PM   #8
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by blsfrs View Post
You won't hear grinding on forward gears because you are bumping into the synchro rings. Grinding when attempting to put in reverse if your clutch is not disengaging.
As far as I know the Twins have a synchromesh reverse as well so would be no different than forward gears. Also, if you keep pushing the lever into a gear with the clutch not fully disengaged you'll grind regardless of synchros.
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 02:54 PM   #9
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaiahW View Post
Would i hear any grinding or chatter from the trans if i didnt set it properly? Im asking because i dont have any noise but i did the ole start in first gear with clutch applied but its as if the pressure plate is done or my adjustment could be off. I have a comp twin disk and tilton hydraulic release bearing everything is new. I forgot to note that this is a cd009 swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
As far as I know the Twins have a synchromesh reverse as well so would be no different than forward gears. Also, if you keep pushing the lever into a gear with the clutch not fully disengaged you'll grind regardless of synchros.
Not a lot we can probably do. Any guesses could be way off base since there are thousands of things that could go wrong with a swapped unit.
x808drifter (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 03:59 PM   #10
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,213 Times in 516 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Your release bearing probably isn't set up properly so you're not getting disengagement.
Old 09-20-2022, 04:44 PM   #11
IsaiahW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Your release bearing probably isn't set up properly so you're not getting disengagement.

Yah i manage to get a video of the bearing in action i know the tilton is self adjusting but should it be riding like that in the picture im not sure if its constantly applying pressure or what but it wasnt this pressed in when I installed the bearing this is without the clutch applied i thought it was suppose to be just a hair off the pressure plate even still this shouldn’t be the problem ill still be able to go into gear

Old 09-20-2022, 07:13 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,519 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
You mean just touching the fingers? Yes, that's how it works. Link the video.
Old 09-21-2022, 12:13 PM   #13
IsaiahW

So I’m not sure how to post a video but I spoke with tilton they were really helpful had me run a few test to see if its the hydraulic bearing. Everything seems to work properly so they suggested that it could very well be the clutch if the trans is new and mechanically sound. Also mentioned that for swaps like these it could be hard to get the input shaft center of the pilot bearing when you have very little space to work with. Lots of times if not center it could push the pilot bearing out of its proper place. But could also be the pressure plate being bad, clutch disc not being installed correctly, etc so dropping the trans is my only option. Im a truck driver and have little ones so i just don’t have time to drop the transmission anymore so I contacted a transmission shop as soon as i told them it was a manual swap and wasn’t a stock transmission they declined the work. All i wanted them to do was drop the trans and inspect the clutch, and pilot bearing if the clutch needed to be replaced id send the clutch back and use my warranty since its new. If i cant a shop to do that simple job i might give up on this build and sell it for a type R at this point.

Old 09-21-2022, 12:25 PM   #14
blsfrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaiahW View Post
So I’m not sure how to post a video but I spoke with tilton they were really helpful had me run a few test to see if its the hydraulic bearing. Everything seems to work properly so they suggested that it could very well be the clutch if the trans is new and mechanically sound. Also mentioned that for swaps like these it could be hard to get the input shaft center of the pilot bearing when you have very little space to work with. Lots of times if not center it could push the pilot bearing out of its proper place. But could also be the pressure plate being bad, clutch disc not being installed correctly, etc so dropping the trans is my only option. Im a truck driver and have little ones so i just don’t have time to drop the transmission anymore so I contacted a transmission shop as soon as i told them it was a manual swap and wasn’t a stock transmission they declined the work. All i wanted them to do was drop the trans and inspect the clutch, and pilot bearing if the clutch needed to be replaced id send the clutch back and use my warranty since its new. If i cant a shop to do that simple job i might give up on this build and sell it for a type R at this point.

You might call All Aspects. They're in Greatbridge over in Chesapeake and do a lot of Subbie and Miata mtrsports work.