follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #15
JoeSubaru

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Nothing wrong with a V6 Mustang, though I would've gotten the base GT myself.

The twins aren't fast. So understand that before you go looking. They do provide an amazing driving experience. Close ratio steering, light clutch and easy to shift.

The BRZ will provide more creature comforts (standard nav, hid and optional heated seats and mirrors) and can be had pretty close to the FRS in price.

The FRS has a cooler front end (in most peoples opinions)

Mechanically they are about the same.

If you are going the Subie route, feel free to pm me what price you are getting and I will let you know if you are getting a decent deal (I sell them)

Good luck!
JoeSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
svtfever

Drives: 14 GMC Sierra SLE CC 4x4.
im staying away from mustangs, even the new ones. I have owned 4 of them. I had a 2003 cobra that laid down 545/ 564 hp/tq to the wheels. and have owned a 2011 gt premium, old fox body and a 2012 boss 302. all had too much power for the street. a 14 MY v6 is no joke though. 300 hp is really max all you will ever need for the street. they are just bigger heavier cars.
this time around im either getting a brz or a wrx (maybe sti) we shall see. I want to do some back to back seat time with them both.
I had a 2011 wrx in the past and loved the power but hated the suspension. I have test driven a couple frs and brz but never pushed them to their limits.
but if the 2015/16 wrx feels half as good as the brz. the wrx may win in my book. I got two kids and a wife. I don't know.
I can tell you that the frs/brz is a go-kart and feels amazing.
svtfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to svtfever For This Useful Post:
Choco (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 04:20 PM   #17
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Here's your biggest problem right here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I'm still currently paying off the mustang. Still have around 18k to go I believe
So you have 18k to go on the mustang, I am guessing you didn't do much in the way of a down payment. To "trade it in" for a twin, you are going to take a hit in the way of negative equity, because wherever you buy it from will not buy your loan outright. You can estimate that if you get a (lets say manual) twin, its $28k with taxes, add another 4-5 grand of negative equity onto that loan. Basically, for a while, you will be paying the loan on two cars instead of one. If you have the money and time to do it, go ahead, but overall I don't think its a great financial decision unless you're rolling in dough.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you didn't really do your research before buying the Mustang and it was an impulse buy. My suggestion is to enjoy the car until you have it paid off, or until the negative equity isn't as much of a concern from you.

All that said, I am no expert. I just have seen people make decisions like this in the past and be paying off cars years after they no longer own them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to HunterGreene For This Useful Post:
gramicci101 (05-11-2015), IBill4You (05-11-2015), idario (05-19-2015), krayzie (05-11-2015), Tcoat (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 04:54 PM   #18
Imrac

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Prem
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
KBB has his car right around 20k for trade in, doesn't sound like he would be upside down. Or if he got beat up on the price he would have very little roll over.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:05 PM   #19
Subie_Nubie

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limted
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Personally, I do not think it is wise to buy a new car. In my own case, I'm 23 and felt comfortable buying myself a used 2013 BRZ. if you buy a new 2015 Limited, you are telling the dealer that you are comfortable paying the depreciation for them for the first year. My advice is don't buy new. Be smart and do your research (fiscally). Just make sure you come out of the other end with a smile on your face.
Subie_Nubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:10 PM   #20
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Im here for the comments, pls continue
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:11 PM   #21
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
My suggestion is to enjoy the car until you have it paid off, or until the negative equity isn't as much of a concern from you.
This is the best advice!
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 06:32 PM   #22
JoeSubaru

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Speaking as a person who swaps cars often...

NEVER buy a car as an investment

If you can get out of your mustang and are happy with the payments of the BRZ - go for it.

You will start to despise the car and hate driving it
JoeSubaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeSubaru For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 07:05 PM   #23
Jond63

Drives: FR-S Firestorm 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSubaru View Post

If you can get out of your mustang and are happy with the payments of the BRZ - go for it.

And if you can't get out of the Mustang comfortably, start driving the Mustang like you stole it -- guarantee you will start enjoying it more.
Jond63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:11 PM   #24
IBill4You
Banned

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I apologize for that, I knew i was missing a lot.
I haven't driven any cars beside a Honda Accord and the mustang. However, I'm going to test drive a BRZ/Fr-s today and hopefully that will give me more knowledge on the car.

What I want is a car that I can drive and push it to it's limit without getting my license suspended.. if that makes sense. I also want a car with good feedback and has good driving experience. I love my mustang, but it just feels like a tank. On the other hand, the backseat on the brz/frs is something that I don't like very much.
Whoa dude!
Unless you have legs the back seat is great!

In any case, you will want to consider the fact that you will miss the power of your mustang unless you go forced induction. However, I chose the BRZ with forced induction over a 2015 mustang gt performance package. Honestly after you put wheels/tires/upgraded turbo kit and full exhuast. you'll be around the same price, but I would rather have a modded BRZ and have the additional cash flow than a bone stock mustang just like every person on the road. I would say you will want to compare this with the WRX, Civic Si, Focus ST and maybe even fiesta ST. These cars will all give you some level of fun and have economic value versus your mustang.
IBill4You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:21 PM   #25
Thrustin

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited, 2013 Focus ST
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you still believe that buying a loaded v6 instead of a base V8 is a good decision, I find it hard to believe that you care about driving at all.
Thrustin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Thrustin For This Useful Post:
Chad11491 (05-11-2015), Marco_86 (05-19-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 08:04 PM   #26
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I have to agree with others here and say that you probably bought your Mustang on an impulse. Sounds like you regret having the Mustang now and would have rather had the 86.

For the love of God, please do not make a bad financial decision, such as putting negative equity on a new loan on a new car. Unless of course, you have no problem taking that in. In that case, be our guest and go enjoy a real sports car!
Old 05-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #27
Speed2th
I love my series blue brz

Drives: 2010 335d
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
see if you can rent one and try it for few days. Or at least test drive them few times... what's nice about the 86 is the connective to the road but the weakness is the power is not enough for some people and excessive road noise. however, i do believe gt86 allows you to have fun in legal speed, it doesnt need to drive fast to have fun.
Speed2th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #28
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterGreene View Post
Here's your biggest problem right here:

So you have 18k to go on the mustang, I am guessing you didn't do much in the way of a down payment. To "trade it in" for a twin, you are going to take a hit in the way of negative equity, because wherever you buy it from will not buy your loan outright. You can estimate that if you get a (lets say manual) twin, its $28k with taxes, add another 4-5 grand of negative equity onto that loan. Basically, for a while, you will be paying the loan on two cars instead of one. If you have the money and time to do it, go ahead, but overall I don't think its a great financial decision unless you're rolling in dough.

I am going to go out on a limb here and say you didn't really do your research before buying the Mustang and it was an impulse buy. My suggestion is to enjoy the car until you have it paid off, or until the negative equity isn't as much of a concern from you.

All that said, I am no expert. I just have seen people make decisions like this in the past and be paying off cars years after they no longer own them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSubaru View Post

Both these guys are right!
I hated my last Lancer so much that I actually had thoughts of ramming it in to a wall just to get rid of it (not a joke and a long story) but was only a year an a half into the payments so knew I would pay badly to get rid of it.
However...
I am in a financial position that I was able to get out of it even though I took a horrible hit by having to combine the loans. This is not something I did without understanding the ramifications though.

If you can take the hit get out of the car if you truly dislike it as otherwise it will drive you insane every time you drive it.