follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2022, 03:30 PM   #1149
funkjaw

Drives: 16' WWB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlined600 View Post
That's considerably more than I expected, what's the configuration of your engine? Stock with pump and VTC gear?

I was expecting to get away from e85 but damn.......

Also do you have an IRP shifter?
Yeah just all the stuff that comes in the Kpower kit, exhaust is X-Force 3" catback.

My shifter is stock... it rattles a ton in upper RPMs, need to find out why.
funkjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 03:37 PM   #1150
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjaw View Post
Yeah just all the stuff that comes in the Kpower kit, exhaust is X-Force 3" catback.

My shifter is stock... it rattles a ton in upper RPMs, need to find out why.

So do you like the x-force? Pretty jazzed with mine as the exhaust note is perfect for street and when you stab the go pedal.

Same on shifter buzz. Highway around 3500-4000 RPM seems to be the annoying spot which coincides with highway average speeds. I was hoping it was my shifter extension but nope. Was also hoping it was just the stock shift knob but pretty sure that's not it either. I still have a stock shifter shortened that I plan to get welded in hopes it may fix it once and for all. Unfortunately installing it with the trans already installed may not be possible. Stock trans bushing without the poly insert helped a ton though.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
funkjaw (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 03:50 PM   #1151
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
So do you like the x-force? Pretty jazzed with mine as the exhaust note is perfect for street and when you stab the go pedal.

Same on shifter buzz. Highway around 3500-4000 RPM seems to be the annoying spot which coincides with highway average speeds. I was hoping it was my shifter extension but nope. Was also hoping it was just the stock shift knob but pretty sure that's not it either. I still have a stock shifter shortened that I plan to get welded in hopes it may fix it once and for all. Unfortunately installing it with the trans already installed may not be possible. Stock trans bushing without the poly insert helped a ton though.
I love the exhaust... very quiet when just puting around town and like you mention when you get on it the exhaust note comes alive and sounds great. No complaints especially for the price.

So I was thinking about removing the whiteline insert but I have been hesitant because I figured Kpower put them in there for a reason, right? Ionno. You seem to not have any issues?
Old 07-11-2022, 03:55 PM   #1152
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
I love the exhaust... very quiet when just puting around town and like you mention when you get on it the exhaust note comes alive and sounds great. No complaints especially for the price.

So I was thinking about removing the whiteline insert but I have been hesitant because I figured Kpower put them in there for a reason, right? Ionno. You seem to not have any issues?

On the street where I put most of the miles I like it without the insert. In autocross however the drivetrain moves way too much. It's tolerable at best because it allows the trans to flop over enough to touch their trans bracket. I notched mine to relieve it but I still get just a slight hint of noise on aggressive left hand turns.

This is after trimming but I think it could use a hair more.

I may just go back the the STI mount as it was somewhere in between on cabin vibes.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
funkjaw (07-11-2022)
Old 07-11-2022, 04:05 PM   #1153
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
On the street where I put most of the miles I like it without the insert. In autocross however the drivetrain moves way too much. It's tolerable at best because it allows the trans to flop over enough to touch their trans bracket. I notched mine to relieve it but I still get just a slight hint of noise on aggressive left hand turns.

I may just go back the the STI mount as it was somewhere in between on cabin vibes.
Good to know I appreciate the feedback!
Old 07-12-2022, 02:29 PM   #1154
hedtrip

Drives: 2013 toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So I found two of my TB bolts snapped off yesterday. Luckily I was able to get both out. I'm starting to wonder if my intake coupling is to stiff & not giving enough play when my engine moves. My intake is pretty damn stiff with very lil wiggle room.
Attached Images

hedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to hedtrip For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (07-13-2022), funkjaw (07-12-2022), Irace86.2.0 (07-17-2022), RedReplicant (07-14-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:42 PM   #1155
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedtrip View Post
So I found two of my TB bolts snapped off yesterday. Luckily I was able to get both out. I'm starting to wonder if my intake coupling is to stiff & not giving enough play when my engine moves. My intake is pretty damn stiff with very lil wiggle room.
I really wish they would have put more thought into NVH on this swap... because we are at the point where it's not just a noise issue, but things are actively breaking on the car - things that could potentially cause DNFs and accidents. Nothing worse than losing a race because something rattled loose during a hot lap

But to answer your question, I think these bolts need to be swapped with something higher grade ( I don't remember what grade they come.. )
The Following User Says Thank You to funkjaw For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 02:48 PM   #1156
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,214 Times in 517 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I noticed it is very easy to over torque those bolts. Mine backed out after about an hour of run time so I blue loctited them in (and just about every single bolt I touched, along with paint marking).

Also, if this is going to be a worry then maybe something like a Vibrant HD clamp or cutting down the intake tube so there is more flex area in the coupler might be the way.

Quote:
I really wish they would have put more thought into NVH on this swap... because we are at the point where it's not just a noise issue, but things are actively breaking on the car - things that could potentially cause DNFs and accidents. Nothing worse than losing a race because something rattled loose during a hot lap
This is more or less my worry. Being competitive over a season comes down to keeping a car together more-so than being quickest. I really want to get some time into the car and break it this fall before the 2023 season starts in January.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:09 AM   #1157
Ebush

Drives: 2017 Hot Lava 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by hedtrip View Post
I don't think I ever mentioned that I have been having issues with my throttle body bolts as well. I wasn't actually running the kpower bolts, I have a Grams throttle body that I used on my fa20, and I believe I reused those allen head bolts. I've had the bolts come loose a couple times, and most recently when I started hearing a leak at the throttle body there were two bolts missing. Both of the bolts were actually broken off inside the adapter.

Last edited by Ebush; 07-13-2022 at 03:40 PM.
Ebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:36 PM   #1158
Arthur-A

Drives: 2020 BRZ/86, 2020 BMW 330i
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Why people are having these crazy vibration issues with this engine? Is it 86/FRS/BRZ specific?
Arthur-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 03:45 PM   #1159
Ebush

Drives: 2017 Hot Lava 86
It's hard to tell if vibration is the cause of the throttle body bolts, I'd say it's more likely that the motor has too much free play, and the intake tube has no free play. I'll most likely switch over to solid engine/trans mounts this winter. Maybe then I'll stop snapping bolts, cracking exhaust, and missing 2nd gear.
Ebush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 04:30 PM   #1160
RedReplicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
Why people are having these crazy vibration issues with this engine? Is it 86/FRS/BRZ specific?
Inline 4 with the balance shafts removed
Lightweight flywheel
Soft stock WRX rubber mounts
Motor mounts are fairly close together (compared to say the S2000)
Motor / trans fits tight in multiple spots
Header that has questionable weld quality
Intake tube that is fixed to the chassis with very little flex allowed by the coupler length
Single piece aluminum driveshaft

Just a number of things compounded. Some are easily fixed, some are not.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:36 PM   #1161
redlined600

Drives: Fr-s
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur-A View Post
It's a motor that was designed to have a counter-balancer, installing the type s oil pump removes that, then add revving it higher on top. It's not FRS/BRZ specific.

*edit: Beat^
Old 07-14-2022, 02:54 PM   #1162
RedReplicant

If any of you have datalogged your car and done a full RPM pull with the engine at operating temperature please upload it to Google Drive and link it here. The log needs a pull at high throttle at to like 7500.

I have one usable one from Seth that looks good. I have another from someone else that didn't have a full pull so I couldn't do a comparison.

I'm looking at oil pressure and oil temperature, I got another PM from someone that is seeing the same erratic pressure/temp as I am. I asked them for a log.

I have a post at K20A (https://www.k20a.org/threads/oil-tem...ocation.228682) and I don't like the answer so far.