follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 10-27-2017, 03:00 PM   #15
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Sudden fish tail would be caused by user error regardless of the amount of torque in the winter these cars have. Yes higher torque cars will struggle more getting rolling from a dead stop but once your rolling this is no longer a issue but someone giving the car improper inputs and causing the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennlistuser3 View Post
Wow I see from your location that you're in Alaska!

Do you drive your BRZ with winter tires year round?

What's your experience please? Some people I've chatted with here in Minnesota warned me of sudden fishtailing on highways that can be terrifying. But these people (two individuals to be specific) had a Mustang, and a BMW M5 respectively, two very high torque vehicles. I know lower torque RWD cars don't suffer from this problem as much. Your input?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #16
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonojordan View Post
Said thread I only assume the OP is talking about.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=122910&page=2

YEP! He says he is well versed in vehicles and even states he has a 2016 WRX under what he drives, but then he is shocked about third party parts and dealer prices.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #17
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I know there is a forum for 86/BRZ Vs. everything else but this comparison is heavily based on region and weather. If I were in warmer weather, it would be BRZ hands down and done. But, as it is, here's the case:

Going for the BRZ: Awesome real sports cars feel and looks, better gear shifter, no turbo lag, better steering, overall more fun to drive, likely better long-term reliability, RWD more fun.

Going for the GTi: better interior quality, to my ears better engine sound, far far more practical with real rear seats and small SUV size cargo hauling, better ride quality, easier ingress/egress, FWD means no real need for winter tires and will not need two sets of wheels. For me personally, I highly highly likes the panoramic roof, I just have this personally issue of feeling claustrophobic without a panoramic view, so this is a very big plus on the GTi.

So, either way, the car will be my only car. I'm single so I don't really need the rear seat but as you know, there are times when you need them along with the extra cargo hauling.

I think by far and away, the major major deciding factor in this situation is the FWD Vs. RWD for year round only car at Minnesota. I plan to travel and go places while here regardless of weather and really not familiar with BRZ in such a place and conditions.

Please chip in from personal experience? and give advise?

Also please, no cheeky comments of "get a Camry / Corolla", I am a car enthusiast, I do know a good deal about cars and driving, and I am looking for a nice driver's car, and such comments are not appreciated.

Thanks..

Just reading your “pros” for each car it looks like you want the gti already.
dowroa (10-31-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 03:07 PM   #18
rennlistuser3

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Sudden fish tail would be caused by user error regardless of the amount of torque in the winter these cars have. Yes higher torque cars will struggle more getting rolling from a dead stop but once your rolling this is no longer a issue but someone giving the car improper inputs and causing the issue.
I see you've had the BRZ for a very long time and you're in Minnesota

Do you drive it year round? would you personally use it as an only car?
rennlistuser3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:12 PM   #19
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 South Africa View Post
Just reading your “pros” for each car it looks like you want the gti already.

Honestly not, I wouldn't be posting here if that were the case.. I'd save my time (and others) and just call the VW dealer.

Right now, I'm so torn, I feel like flipping a coin and get it over with..

But anyway, I honestly highly appreciate the feedback from everyone..
Old 10-27-2017, 03:55 PM   #20
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Wow I see from your location that you're in Alaska!

Do you drive your BRZ with winter tires year round?

What's your experience please? Some people I've chatted with here in Minnesota warned me of sudden fishtailing on highways that can be terrifying. But these people (two individuals to be specific) had a Mustang, and a BMW M5 respectively, two very high torque vehicles. I know lower torque RWD cars don't suffer from this problem as much. Your input?
So I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. we have pretty mild springs and summers (50-70 degrees) and of course cold winters. I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports during the warms months until the highs get in the 40's then I bust the Blizzaks out. With the BRZ/86 drivers up here we are pretty much 50/50 Studded vs non studded tires. The picture I posted was from our first snowfall last week. The street I'm on has a mild slope to it, enough for the kids the sled down the road... With my snow tires on I can drive up that road with no issues, the couple of FWD cars on our side have to drive the back way out because they cant get enough grip to get up. Even my neighbor in his wrangler can't get up it (in a straight line, knobby tire life).

Driving around town just takes a different mind set. Smooth and slow... when its icy out I just short shift until I get up to speed so I don't suddenly break loose. The TC system is pretty good on helping you out. I reduce the amount of lane changes I make because that's how most end up backwards driving over the humps of snow between lanes. I am my more aware of speeds and throttle inputs in corners and intersections so I don't go all tokyo drift into another car (or worse the curb).

The well balanced nature of the car still translates in the winter, daily driving isn't as much fun as summer since I'm not reving the car out like usual, but NOTHING beats a RWD sports car and a open parking lot of fresh snow!

The city here is pretty good about plowing the roads so once I get out of the neighborhood I'm not plowing the roads myself. There was only one day that I didn't daily my car and it was the one (and only day) that schools where cancelled so I drove my other (wifes) car... a Subaru Outback on Studs...

In summary, I have no issue in wintering my BRZ in Alaska. It takes a little more focus but is entirely doable. And I get a ton of thumbs up from people for braving it.

p.s. about highway driving... for the few weeks of winter I avoid them until the Summer Tire Club has finished their seasonal meetings...

imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to imnotsureaboutbrz For This Useful Post:
dowroa (10-29-2017), jasonojordan (10-27-2017), rennlistuser3 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:02 PM   #21
jasonojordan

Drives: 2013 satin white brz limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I do not drive it year round. If I could only have one car I would not own a BRZ. BRZ in my opinion is not a responsible vehicle to drive year round in this climate regardless of the type of tires you use.

Quote:
I see you've had the BRZ for a very long time and you're in Minnesota

Do you drive it year round? would you personally use it as an only car?
jasonojordan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jasonojordan For This Useful Post:
rennlistuser3 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:22 PM   #22
Slammillionaire

Drives: 2013 Hot Lava FRS
Quote:
I do not drive it year round. If I could only have one car I would not own a BRZ. BRZ in my opinion is not a responsible vehicle to drive year round in this climate regardless of the type of tires you use.
.......what?
Slammillionaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:49 PM   #23
winstonscifi

Drives: 2015 Firestorm Red Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I, too, live in Minnesota. My prior vehicle was a Chrysler Crossfire. I swapped out tires every season, using Blizzaks in the winter. Really, the only problem is on unshoveled roads and icy patches at intersections on an incline. You snow plow after the snow gets around 4 to 5 inches. And you can spin the wheels on icy patches at a stop sign. Now that I have my FRS, I decided to not buy wheels with winter tires on it. I just had Walmart install a cheap set of all seasons (Dimax AS 8) on the stock rims. I have the original summer tires stored in my insulated garage. I will swap them out in the spring. That being said, I am retired, and we also have a Suzuki SX4 AWD that my wife drives. I can use that if I have to get somewhere in deep snow. You'll really have to think about what might be better for your location - that is - do they plow the streets early enough for you to get to work. Do you drive a million miles to work. Is your work flexible during the occasional snow storm, letting you leave early. Good luck, and make sure you check in with the Minnesota forum on this site. Take Care!
winstonscifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winstonscifi For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (10-29-2017), JohnJuan (11-08-2017), rennlistuser3 (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 04:54 PM   #24
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Buy a corolla.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 05:03 PM   #25
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Buy a corolla.

LOL

Aaaaand my generous ignore list grows yet one more member

I so loooove this ignore user option, it makes public forums so much more usable...
Old 10-27-2017, 05:04 PM   #26
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winstonscifi View Post
I, too, live in Minnesota. My prior vehicle was a Chrysler Crossfire. I swapped out tires every season, using Blizzaks in the winter. Really, the only problem is on unshoveled roads and icy patches at intersections on an incline. You snow plow after the snow gets around 4 to 5 inches. And you can spin the wheels on icy patches at a stop sign. Now that I have my FRS, I decided to not buy wheels with winter tires on it. I just had Walmart install a cheap set of all seasons (Dimax AS 8) on the stock rims. I have the original summer tires stored in my insulated garage. I will swap them out in the spring. That being said, I am retired, and we also have a Suzuki SX4 AWD that my wife drives. I can use that if I have to get somewhere in deep snow. You'll really have to think about what might be better for your location - that is - do they plow the streets early enough for you to get to work. Do you drive a million miles to work. Is your work flexible during the occasional snow storm, letting you leave early. Good luck, and make sure you check in with the Minnesota forum on this site. Take Care!
Thank you sir
The Following User Says Thank You to rennlistuser3 For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (10-27-2017)
Old 10-27-2017, 05:05 PM   #27
rennlistuser3

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnotsureaboutbrz View Post
So I'm in Anchorage, Alaska. we have pretty mild springs and summers (50-70 degrees) and of course cold winters. I run Michelin Pilot Super Sports during the warms months until the highs get in the 40's then I bust the Blizzaks out. With the BRZ/86 drivers up here we are pretty much 50/50 Studded vs non studded tires. The picture I posted was from our first snowfall last week. The street I'm on has a mild slope to it, enough for the kids the sled down the road... With my snow tires on I can drive up that road with no issues, the couple of FWD cars on our side have to drive the back way out because they cant get enough grip to get up. Even my neighbor in his wrangler can't get up it (in a straight line, knobby tire life).

Driving around town just takes a different mind set. Smooth and slow... when its icy out I just short shift until I get up to speed so I don't suddenly break loose. The TC system is pretty good on helping you out. I reduce the amount of lane changes I make because that's how most end up backwards driving over the humps of snow between lanes. I am my more aware of speeds and throttle inputs in corners and intersections so I don't go all tokyo drift into another car (or worse the curb).

The well balanced nature of the car still translates in the winter, daily driving isn't as much fun as summer since I'm not reving the car out like usual, but NOTHING beats a RWD sports car and a open parking lot of fresh snow!

The city here is pretty good about plowing the roads so once I get out of the neighborhood I'm not plowing the roads myself. There was only one day that I didn't daily my car and it was the one (and only day) that schools where cancelled so I drove my other (wifes) car... a Subaru Outback on Studs...

In summary, I have no issue in wintering my BRZ in Alaska. It takes a little more focus but is entirely doable. And I get a ton of thumbs up from people for braving it.

p.s. about highway driving... for the few weeks of winter I avoid them until the Summer Tire Club has finished their seasonal meetings...
Thanks for the awesome right up man! really appreciate you sharing such experience..
Old 10-27-2017, 05:06 PM   #28
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,246 Times in 8,613 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
LOL

Aaaaand my generous ignore list grows yet one more member

I so loooove this ignore user option, it makes public forums so much more usable...

Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote