follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 09-09-2015, 08:15 PM   #29
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shit Luck View Post
I thought I would be in something like stx... when I showed up and a fully prepped time attack cars and formula d pro cars are in your class it's a bit of a stretch. I wanted to see if it was a fun way to compete on a budget as its marketed, but the budget is bigger than actually racing at this point.
Well you'd be 'actually racing' by running a competitive class, so the budget should be like 'actually racing'. Just because it's around cones instead of a dedicated track doesn't make it 'not racing'.

Quote:
I guess I am just confused and frustrated because I have track time under my belt, but I see very little chance of having a platform that can compete even once I am up to speed.

If I go back to NA with full bolt ons I would be stx?
I'm not sure how you thought you could dump ~$5k of power modifications into a car with an estimated +50% gains and still be in a 'budget' class.

If the goal is competitiveness I'd recommend STX as well, something like 6 out of the top ten cars were 86's on the last nationals results I looked at.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

You'll still be spending thousands of dollars completing the build (i.e. likely around $1.5k minimum on wheels and tires alone and you won't want to DD on them to save the rubber which means maintaining a second set, a tune to maximize your bolt-on choices etc.) but it will be much cheaper to dice it up then stepping up to a fully built ~400hp engine and the associated life support and traction for it that seems to be the norm in SM.

The way your local group runs SM sounds weird, you might not have to spend a dime, maybe the proper handicap associated to your level of modification will put you in the running for points and stuff against the Formula D cars you were up against.

Sure you're not in an unlimited grab bag class because you don't fit somewhere? Again, you might be creating a problem that doesn't exist or could be easily solved by reaching out to the event organizers, they will typically put in some effort so that you have a good time and keep coming back to race with them.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #30
Shit Luck

Drives: red frs
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Well you'd be 'actually racing' by running a competitive class, so the budget should be like 'actually racing'. Just because it's around cones instead of a dedicated track doesn't make it 'not racing'.

I'm not sure how you thought you could dump ~$5k of power modifications into a car with an estimated +50% gains and still be in a 'budget' class.

If the goal is competitiveness I'd recommend STX as well, something like 6 out of the top ten cars were 86's on the last nationals results I looked at.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25779

You'll still be spending thousands of dollars completing the build (i.e. likely around $1.5k minimum on wheels and tires alone and you won't want to DD on them to save the rubber which means maintaining a second set, a tune to maximize your bolt-on choices etc.) but it will be much cheaper to dice it up then stepping up to a fully built ~400hp engine and the associated life support and traction for it that seems to be the norm in SM.

The way your local group runs SM sounds weird, you might not have to spend a dime, maybe the proper handicap associated to your level of modification will put you in the running for points and stuff against the Formula D cars you were up against.

Sure you're not in an unlimited grab bag class because you don't fit somewhere? Again, you might be creating a problem that doesn't exist or could be easily solved by reaching out to the event organizers, they will typically put in some effort so that you have a good time and keep coming back to race with them.
When I boosted the car I had no intentions of autocross.
However the car is a ton of fun now so I hate to dump it. I have light wheels and decent tires now and I don't daily the car anyway.
The organizers are known to less than helpful and I was told to stay away from my local events by other competitors, maybe I need to travel somewhere else.
Shit Luck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:08 AM   #31
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
When I boosted the car I had no intentions of autocross.
However the car is a ton of fun now so I hate to dump it. I have light wheels and decent tires now and I don't daily the car anyway.
The organizers are known to less than helpful and I was told to stay away from my local events by other competitors, maybe I need to travel somewhere else.
You are describing like the worst autocross region I've ever heard of. Is this SCCA? I really hope this isn't SCCA.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
e1_griego (09-10-2015), strat61caster (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 AM   #32
Shit Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locust View Post
You are describing like the worst autocross region I've ever heard of. Is this SCCA? I really hope this isn't SCCA.
It's scca...
They actually had the lap time display setup at the starting line not the finish, lap times were not printed out till the end of the day.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 AM   #33
Silver Ignition
APEXHNTR

Drives: 10 Series FR-S #1867
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Just read this entire thread...for anyone else who didn't here's the TL;DR

Guy is mad at Autocross because he over-modded his car into a race class.

The number one rule of building a racing car...in ANY racing sport from Karting to F1...the number one rule is you BUILD YOUR CAR TO THE RULES IN WHICH YOU ARE BOUND. If you wanted an STX car you should have done your research to find out what is allowed and what is not. Forced Induction is absolutely not allowed in STX.

Now your options are;
a) Say fuhkit and have some fun in SM...you clearly don't have the experience or money to be competitive there.
b) Downgrade your car to fit the rules of STX...where, once you have 4-6 years of AutoX experience, you may be able to compete for top spots.
c) Don't play. Nobody is forcing you. Go rice out on twisty back roads or something.

#1867 of 2500

in the garage...2001 Toyota 4Runner [Solid Axle Rock Toy], 1987 Pontiac Fiero GT [Shitwagon], 2004 Honda Interceptor VFR800 [daily rider], 1978 Suzuki GS750 [Café Racer]
Silver Ignition is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Silver Ignition For This Useful Post:
AFRichZC6 (10-18-2015), drewbot (09-10-2015), strat61caster (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 11:09 AM   #34
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
I am toying with the idea of moving to SM with a supercharger, not because i think I will be competitive, I just want to have the power bump for the street and more fun at track days. I don't mind being outclassed, i'm not going to run nationals. It will still be fun to go out and play racecar with friends once a month. It's not like the trophys they hand out are to die for.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:48 PM   #35
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,228 Times in 701 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
I am toying with the idea of moving to SM with a supercharger, not because i think I will be competitive, I just want to have the power bump for the street and more fun at track days. I don't mind being outclassed, i'm not going to run nationals. It will still be fun to go out and play racecar with friends once a month. It's not like the trophys they hand out are to die for.
dat e-cred doe
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 12:59 PM   #36
Wepeel

Drives: '13 BRZ Ltd
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Dude there was an LS swapped 240 d1 car in my class, and some poor dude in a contour svt daily driver.
I guess I am just confused and frustrated because I have track time under my belt, but I see very little chance of having a platform that can compete even once I am up to speed.

If I go back to NA with full bolt ons I would be stx?
Yeah but that LS swapped 240 d1 car was slow... 10 seconds behind an STX BRZ

The contour was actually in SMF, not SM.

There was a timing display at the finish, but you had to look toward the right. The clock at the start was so the cars in grid could see the times of the cars coming across the line.

Just have fun out there. SM is an insane class and is very fast if built to full potential, but I don't know any competitive SM cars that are daily driven. If you are supercharged and have coilovers, bolt on some 245 RE71R's and have at it. It won't be SM competitive, but honestly, you're still new at autocross and will benefit a lot more from getting seat time. Near you, Philly region SCCA runs street tire versions of *SP and *SM that you could play in - so basically SM on street tires, which is what you want to do. In other regions that don't have that, you can probably guess as to how fast your car should be - obviously it should be faster than STX, STR, and probably STU.

Susq isn't the friendliest region and isn't the most well run, but the lots are the best around (even if the course designs don't utilize the full potential). Also, Central PA Porsche Club runs events on the big Hershey lot, and with them there is no classing, all non-Porsche's just get lumped into the 'other' class, so no classing concerns to worry about there.

To answer your question about STX, basically intake, full exhaust (have to keep a cat even if it's high flow), tune, on the intake side can't touch anything after the throttle body (e.g. manifold/manifold spacers). Any coilovers, can do camber plates, swap bushings for poly, rear lower control arms, up to 265 width street tires on up to a 9" wide wheel. Lightweight battery.
Wepeel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wepeel For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 01:20 PM   #37
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
This is the right attitude to have towards autocross.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locust For This Useful Post:
AFRichZC6 (10-18-2015), G-Man (09-10-2015), strat61caster (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:23 PM   #38
Shit Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wepeel View Post
Yeah but that LS swapped 240 d1 car was slow... 10 seconds behind an STX BRZ

The contour was actually in SMF, not SM.

There was a timing display at the finish, but you had to look toward the right. The clock at the start was so the cars in grid could see the times of the cars coming across the line.

Just have fun out there. SM is an insane class and is very fast if built to full potential, but I don't know any competitive SM cars that are daily driven. If you are supercharged and have coilovers, bolt on some 245 RE71R's and have at it. It won't be SM competitive, but honestly, you're still new at autocross and will benefit a lot more from getting seat time. Near you, Philly region SCCA runs street tire versions of *SP and *SM that you could play in - so basically SM on street tires, which is what you want to do. In other regions that don't have that, you can probably guess as to how fast your car should be - obviously it should be faster than STX, STR, and probably STU.

Susq isn't the friendliest region and isn't the most well run, but the lots are the best around (even if the course designs don't utilize the full potential). Also, Central PA Porsche Club runs events on the big Hershey lot, and with them there is no classing, all non-Porsche's just get lumped into the 'other' class, so no classing concerns to worry about there.

To answer your question about STX, basically intake, full exhaust (have to keep a cat even if it's high flow), tune, on the intake side can't touch anything after the throttle body (e.g. manifold/manifold spacers). Any coilovers, can do camber plates, swap bushings for poly, rear lower control arms, up to 265 width street tires on up to a 9" wide wheel. Lightweight battery.
Not really into it...
Maybe I will just go to the non scca events so I can build my car my way.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shit Luck For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #39
drewbot
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S A/T
Thanked 1,452 Times in 752 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Like what CSG said.....go look at @whataboutbob and his SM build

If you're not ready to put that kind of work into your SM build, you won't be competitive (without taking seat time into consideration)
drewbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to drewbot For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-14-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:31 PM   #40
Shit Luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewbot View Post
Like what CSG said.....go look at @whataboutbob and his SM build

If you're not ready to put that kind of work into your SM build, you won't be competitive (without taking seat time into consideration)
Yeah that build is cool but seem crazy to me to build a full blown track car for autocross.
The Following User Says Thank You to Shit Luck For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (09-14-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 04:46 PM   #41
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah that build is cool but seem crazy to me to build a full blown track car for autocross.
Racing is racing, it isn't lesser because cones are involved.

I've seen double decker NASCAR sized trailers and motorhomes for 10 year old drivers with plastic trophies at stake.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Silver Ignition (09-11-2015), whataboutbob (10-12-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 05:00 PM   #42
G-Man

Drives: 1980 corvette, 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not really into it...
Maybe I will just go to the non scca events so I can build my car my way.
wait... as long as there is no class system so everyone is going to lose to the fastest car there you don't care? why not just not care about what class you are in and have fun?