follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 12-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #15
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR View Post
they only way my cars going to be sold is if my GF gets pregnant
I'm getting ready to have my first kid. This car isn't going anywhere.
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
FluffyBrz (12-24-2014), GT86_PRAGUE (01-21-2015), hmong337 (12-25-2014), iSnack0nEmoKidz (01-26-2015), Lorico (03-19-2015), Mr.Impreza (12-24-2014), shifter907 (12-24-2014), Strife26 (02-11-2015), STV3 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:10 AM   #16
pinski
Stole my avy from zGrinch

Drives: 2015 Audi S3
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbowned View Post
*If* I sell mine it will be for a more powerful semi-exotic car, but there's no hurry. Got my eye on an 05-06 911 Carrera S lately
Considered those (and the Cayman S) before buying a BRZ. After a few test drives, I felt the BRZ was 9/10s a base Cayman for a lot less money with a warranty.

That said, I completely understand the desire as I will have a 911 someday. However, if I was you, I'd save up a bit longer to try and easily afford a 09-12 Carrera/Carrera S. The engine is redesigned and no longer has an intermediate shaft bearing, has proven to be very durable and makes more power! Not to mention updated electronics inside the car.

Good luck in your search if/when it comes to that!

2015 Audi /S3 | Panther Black | DSG
Gone...2014 BRZ, 2010 Lexus IS F-Sport, 2006 Mazda MX5, 1997 Mustang GT
pinski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinski For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (01-21-2015)
Old 12-24-2014, 08:21 AM   #17
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,840 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I'm not selling it, too busy building a winning Autocross car out of it. And enjoying daily driving it as well.
Attached Images

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to whataboutbob For This Useful Post:
10Stars (12-24-2014), Dadhawk (12-30-2014), exE36M3 (12-28-2014), funwheeldrive (12-24-2014), GT86_PRAGUE (01-21-2015), hmong337 (12-25-2014), iSnack0nEmoKidz (01-26-2015), Jrryjms07 (12-24-2014), Koa (12-24-2014), meWant (03-13-2015), mokinbird87 (01-28-2015), Mr.Impreza (12-24-2014), Pat.Thornton (02-21-2015), pinski (12-24-2014), sactownbwoy (12-27-2014), Strife26 (02-11-2015), tahdizzle (12-24-2014), Ultramaroon (12-27-2014), Wise (12-29-2014), xxBrun0xx (12-29-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #18
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My wife scratched the door when she was getting out of it.
I can't live like this.

In all seriousness, if I can't keep this as a second car, I am going downmarket for an older car (the MR2 Spyder is high on the list), and hopefully a decently fun car for primary family/daily duties (of course, if I can keep a Twin in my life, I'd be very happy too)
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 03:34 PM   #19
BRZZZZZZZZZZ
Car Nut

Drives: BMW 335d, Toyota Echo RS, FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I tried to sell mine, got really bored driving it daily in town with the lack of torque and terrible sounding stock exhaust, but in the end no one wanted it and I still enjoyed it when I got to use it properly, and now its a boosted toy/race car so I get to enjoy it when I want instead of being forced to drive it.
BRZZZZZZZZZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 08:37 PM   #20
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No intention of selling or parting with, of course I have no intention of daily driving it forever.

Love the car.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
B-R-Z
I love peanut butter

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I'll never get rid of mine either. It will become a weekend toy once it's paid off and replaced with an AWD commuter.
B-R-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #22
sam69

Drives: GT 86
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Only reason I'd get rid of mine is if Kia brings out the Stinger !!
https://www.google.com.au/search?q=k...w=1366&bih=627
sam69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 PM   #23
Teseo

Drives: frs
Thanked 2,922 Times in 1,769 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Winning lottery and buy a supercar
Teseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #24
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I bought my BRZ because I test drove it and fell in love.. I came from a long line of RX-7's (owned three of them) and I really have not felt a car captured the spirit of the RX-7 since. The BRZ did it for me. And while it was not an impulse buy, I have three little kids. Our other car is a minivan and up to last year it was used almost primarily to transport the little ones. So my car was my daily driver and mostly weekend car to run errands. Then my two oldest kids got accepted into a black belt karate program which requires me to shuttle them 3 times a week in the evenings on the way home from work.. The BRZ got old real fast trying to cram them in there. I loved the car, but pulled the trigger on a WRX because it is a much better family car. Living in an area that sees snow 8 months out of the year, it is also more practical in inclimate weather.

I love the WRX, but there is no question the BRZ is a special car. I am saving up to either buy a used FR-S/BRZ, Miata, or S2K for my weekend fun car. Realistically, it will most likely be a Miata since they are so cheap and there are so many used ones out there.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thill For This Useful Post:
sactownbwoy (12-27-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #25
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
how do I really feel? I spent alot bought two cars test alot of shit said thanks and wont be buying a subaru again, unless it a 2004-2005 sti

1-design: shit poor cabin resonance, poor post production rattles, and noise mitigation
2-production:3rd set of leaky assed tail lights, leaky assed air mix flap seal in ac system
3-aftermarket: clutch did not hold advertised power, shame on ACT clutches and teh oe tranny is just garbage, now say it with a french accent
4-tuning:revving while the clutch is in while in gear, as a result of a tuned motor seems par for course, ecu is garbage, throttle body and drive by wire meh at best
5-design:oil pressure inadequate for building up motor, waste of resources/glass ceiling the turbo version motor is the one to build off of not the NA 'garbaaagge'
6-warranty:no way to enjoy car without voiding warranty and 'askin for it' more garbage that not one part on this car comes ready for track, not one well may be the diff at best
7-oe driveline lash unacceptable under higher power, solid driveline creates NVH from the diff forward, what is up with that lame mount setup, and thos emotor mounts, omg aweful
8-oe steering and suspension bushings are a joke on a sports minded car/coupe
9-oe driveline bushes are also a joke for a car meant o be tuned, leaving heims as only option
10-soft strut and shock mounts on body requiring reinforcement, im fine with heims on a car that can deliver, this one can not without the commitment of a shop and dedicated car, private parties its not worth it unless youre using it to advertise and sell parts; this is not a miata or a s2000; its inferior in design, production and in its essense, so its handling is good, that doesnt make up for crap that wont hold up for anything past a 55 mph commute past 80k miles; our vortech sc on teh street car held up better than the car did
11-repeat #1

we left one stock and oe suspension had too much wear at 80k, crap oe parts really
we tuned the heck out of the other one with race SC, race suspension and race exhaust and race caster and camber bits it was race -ish but still getting passed by a v6 passenger car with a lil work
even the vortech race kit has its limits that are not high enough with our 6 rib belt; we would need to go to a 8 rib setup and were unwilling to invest in that modding
i'm just tired of worn belts, leaking seals and as great as sc is for street, it didnt do what I wanted it to do for me on the track with any degree of reliability, if it wasnt a seal it was a belt, if it wasnt that it was a slipping clutch, not the fault of subaru except nothing supplied tsock can be tracked, its BS

I was unwilling to go turbo for track given this cars packaging

in the end the multitude of vendors and parts made a car that performed but would need to be a trailer queen and need a significant amount of reinforcement to be what we want iot to be at a race track

and felt unwilling to commit to a built motor given the known issues with fuel delivey(not the pump every vendor try to sell you that wont fit oe,) but the fuel tank design is so poor its only fit and designed for passenger car usage, didnt want to invest in fuel cell and proper fuel delivery return pressure system like whats on most higher end sports cars now days
the oe tranny is limited in what it can take, and after a few e85 track days its clear where the wear is when you dump fluids

they are not holding value on market which has more and more of them popping up with low miles for sale
we sold both and got two used P cars and our values are stable, suspension well sorted and needs little work, both cars come factory with 300hp and 400hp respectively and short of going full on for recreation track time will be more than what the 86 platform could offer

my next step would have been to do a vette motor and tranny swap
I think I will keep the new porsche and maybe pick up a stingray when they come avail used

unless I find a 2004-2005 STI to play with, I'm done with subaru, till the brz come down to well under 10k, and then it may be worth buying one really rough , gutting it and tracking it after a LSx motor swap caus eteh chassis is a half decent one out on the track, absolute crap for a daily driver tho

that said aftyer just one track day in my 911s, i regret the time and money wasted, aside from the experience its not worth it

everyone I know except the hard core mechanics have came, and withdrawn

when you add in the mishandled forum, its no wonder the good guys all got banned and the info present was, well skewed, and far from the organic forum experience I have ha don other sights
this place just reflects the car
the 86 is just a toy kids
That was fun, thanks Hachi

Last edited by kiichiro; 12-25-2014 at 01:56 PM.
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:36 PM   #26
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
[/Thread]
funwheeldrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 02:49 PM   #27
Evolve

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
how do I really feel? I spent alot bought two cars test alot of shit said thanks and wont be buying a subaru again, unless it a 2004-2005 sti

1-design: shit poor cabin resonance, poor post production rattles, and noise mitigation
2-production:3rd set of leaky assed tail lights, leaky assed air mix flap seal in ac system
3-aftermarket: clutch did not hold advertised power, shame on ACT clutches and teh oe tranny is just garbage, now say it with a french accent
4-tuning:revving while the clutch is in while in gear, as a result of a tuned motor seems par for course, ecu is garbage, throttle body and drive by wire meh at best
5-design:oil pressure inadequate for building up motor, waste of resources/glass ceiling the turbo version motor is the one to build off of not the NA 'garbaaagge'
6-warranty:no way to enjoy car without voiding warranty and 'askin for it' more garbage that not one part on this car comes ready for track, not one well may be the diff at best
7-oe driveline lash unacceptable under higher power, solid driveline creates NVH from the diff forward, what is up with that lame mount setup, and thos emotor mounts, omg aweful
8-oe steering and suspension bushings are a joke on a sports minded car/coupe
9-oe driveline bushes are also a joke for a car meant o be tuned, leaving heims as only option
10-soft strut and shock mounts on body requiring reinforcement, im fine with heims on a car that can deliver, this one can not without the commitment of a shop and dedicated car, private parties its not worth it unless youre using it to advertise and sell parts; this is not a miata or a s2000; its inferior in design, production and in its essense, so its handling is good, that doesnt make up for crap that wont hold up for anything past a 55 mph commute past 80k miles; our vortech sc on teh street car held up better than the car did
11-repeat #1

we left one stock and oe suspension had too much wear at 80k, crap oe parts really
we tuned the heck out of the other one with race SC, race suspension and race exhaust and race caster and camber bits it was race -ish but still getting passed by a v6 passenger car with a lil work
even the vortech race kit has its limits that are not high enough with our 6 rib belt; we would need to go to a 8 rib setup and were unwilling to invest in that modding
i'm just tired of worn belts, leaking seals and as great as sc is for street, it didnt do what I wanted it to do for me on the track with any degree of reliability, if it wasnt a seal it was a belt, if it wasnt that it was a slipping clutch, not the fault of subaru except nothing supplied tsock can be tracked, its BS

I was unwilling to go turbo for track given this cars packaging

in the end the multitude of vendors and parts made a car that performed but would need to be a trailer queen and need a significant amount of reinforcement to be what we want iot to be at a race track

and felt unwilling to commit to a built motor given the known issues with fuel delivey(not the pump every vendor try to sell you that wont fit oe,) but the fuel tank design is so poor its only fit and designed for passenger car usage, didnt want to invest in fuel cell and proper fuel delivery return pressure system like whats on most higher end sports cars now days
the oe tranny is limited in what it can take, and after a few e85 track days its clear where the wear is when you dump fluids

they are not holding value on market which has more and more of them popping up with low miles for sale
we sold both and got two used P cars and our values are stable, suspension well sorted and needs little work, both cars come factory with 300hp and 400hp respectively and short of going full on for recreation track time will be more than what the 86 platform could offer

my next step would have been to do a vette motor and tranny swap
I think I will keep the new porsche and maybe pick up a stingray when they come avail used

unless I find a 2004-2005 STI to play with, I'm done with subaru, till the brz come down to well under 10k, and then it may be worth buying one really rough , gutting it and tracking it after a LSx motor swap caus eteh chassis is a half decent one out on the track, absolute crap for a daily driver tho

that said aftyer just one track day in my 911s, i regret the time and money wasted, aside from the experience its not worth it

everyone I know except the hard core mechanics have came, and withdrawn

when you add in the mishandled forum, its no wonder the good guys all got banned and the info present was, well skewed, and far from the organic forum experience I have ha don other sights
this place just reflects the car
the 86 is just a toy kids
Not many people are cross-shopping BRZ's with Porsches. We all know the Porsche is better, you're pretty naive for thinking otherwise initially, but the cost (including maintenance) is out of range for us guys looking at 20-25k cars.
Evolve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Evolve For This Useful Post:
GT86_PRAGUE (01-21-2015), strat61caster (12-25-2014), Ultramaroon (12-27-2014), x1UP (12-25-2014), ~el~jefe~ (12-30-2016)
Old 12-25-2014, 02:57 PM   #28
x1UP
One & Done (AOZORA)

Drives: '15 Series.Blue BRZ (WRB)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I agree with @Evolve here. I understand that you didn't like your BRZ/FRZ, but that doesn't mean that us here don't enjoy it.

People who bought this car should come into it knowing what you are getting. Unless you impulsed bought this, people did their research wrong and are finding out the hard way.

We here at the forum enjoy the car and it's the reason we have a community here.

I'm happy for you getting a Porsche, but your experience doesn't necessarily reflect on everyone else's here.
hmong337 (12-25-2014), Ultramaroon (12-27-2014)