follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #1
Ezk1el

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Sport-Tech RS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Metal on metal scratching noise front left wheel

Hi,

My BRZ 2013 with 6000km on it just started doing this today.

Basically only when I turn right my front left wheel make a pretty loud metal on metal scratching noise.

Brake dust cover scratching? Brake pad scratching? I have no idea what it is exactly but I have confirmed with a friend standing outside the car in my parking lot that the sound comes out of the left front wheel while I'm turning right. It's a loud metal on metal scratching sound that is constant until I stop turning right while moving.

Any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Thanks
Ezk1el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:13 PM   #2
TheAsianRacer

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Garage
Does the sound increase and decrease with speed? Are there any modifications done in that area?
TheAsianRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 02:56 PM   #3
Ezk1el

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAsianRacer View Post
Does the sound increase and decrease with speed? Are there any modifications done in that area?

Yes it increase with speed but I need to be turning right in order to hear the sound. No modification, during summer I use the OEM standard wheels.

I read somewhere that it my be gravel stuck between the brake dust cover and the brake disk...

I went outside with a pen and started knocking on the brake dust cover to see if something is stuck between the cover and the brake disk. I can hear a little rattling noise, just like if a small rock was stuck there. I tried doing the same thing on the right front wheel and I don't hear the small rattling noise.

My guess right now is that there's a small rock stuck there... what should I do?
Old 08-10-2014, 03:01 PM   #4
TheAsianRacer

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Garage
You could take it to the dealership if you haven't had any mods in that area done and see what's going on. They shouldn't charge you just to look at it. And if anything, they can at least put everything back together for you with the right torque specs. That's what I would do first.
TheAsianRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 03:06 PM   #5
Khorne
Super 86

Drives: Red 86 GTS
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezk1el View Post
I went outside with a pen and started knocking on the brake dust cover to see if something is stuck between the cover and the brake disk. I can hear a little rattling noise, just like if a small rock was stuck there. I tried doing the same thing on the right front wheel and I don't hear the small rattling noise.

My guess right now is that there's a small rock stuck there... what should I do?
Jack it up, take the wheel off and get it out?
Khorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 08:23 PM   #6
PandaBRZ

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezk1el View Post
Hi,

My BRZ 2013 with 6000km on it just started doing this today.

Basically only when I turn right my front left wheel make a pretty loud metal on metal scratching noise.

Brake dust cover scratching? Brake pad scratching? I have no idea what it is exactly but I have confirmed with a friend standing outside the car in my parking lot that the sound comes out of the left front wheel while I'm turning right. It's a loud metal on metal scratching sound that is constant until I stop turning right while moving.

Any thoughts or experience with this issue?

Thanks
Wow this is exactly what just happened to my BRZ. I was driving on a road with loose gravel and i think a car passing on the other side sprayed some gravel into my brakes. It makes a metallic scraping sound turning right.

I haven't investigated the brakes yet but I'll do it next week end.

Let us know what happens with your car.

Read my writing about the BRZ on my website.
PandaBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #7
Ezk1el

thanks for the replies, I'm not comfortable removing my brake disks... I will see if the rock get out by itself.

otherwise if its a mechanical defect the part will just break and I will get it replaced under warranty.

but it does make a very loud metal on metal scratching rubbing noise. People on the street can hear it very much
Old 08-11-2014, 12:00 AM   #8
D_Thissen

Drives: '13 Argento FR-S (Sold)
Thanked 1,439 Times in 855 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Does it sound like this??
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTxZD9KpQC4"]Mazdaspeed 3 screeching sound. Rock in between brake pad and rotor? - YouTube[/ame]

Pop the wheel off and take a peak, it happened on my old tC. I took the wheel off, gave the rotor a shake and a rock fell out.