follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 09:06 PM   #6175
Chrisbrz14

Drives: Subaru Brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad86 View Post
How many owners installed the kit themselves? I am not a mechanic by trade but am good with my hands. I don't like the idea of having to pay for something that seems so bolt on and the satisfaction of doing it myself would be great! How difficult is the install really?

I found it pretty easy, I am no mechanic but i am good with my hands. The directions worked for me. You will need someone to help set it. Also make sure you route all the hoses and connectors to places so you can get them after you set the supercharger. I forgot the fuel line and had to take it back off.
Chrisbrz14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:17 PM   #6176
Chad86
DrivinginDreams...Cloud86

Drives: Toyota GT86
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
@Chad86
Here's some quick install tips.
Remove all the under panels. You WILL drop bolts and this will save you countless time.

The coolant does not need to be drained, if you clamp the two coolant lines to the throttle body.

Make sure you have grease, I used white lithium grease to get all the hoses to slide on. You do not need to replace the back plastic hose couplers with brass, just be careful to not use too much force on them. It can be tricky to find the brass fittings with the proper pitch, and this blower is made in Australia and standard American/Imperial bolts won't work.

Use a torque wrench! Follow all torque guidelines. You'll have to convert Nm to Ft-Lb, I did this with my phone. The bolts on the FRS are soft, everywhere. I sheered one intake manifold bolt, and two underpanel bolts. And this was w/o much force.

Get an extra hand when placing the new intake manifold / supercharger. You'll want an extra set of hands to pull back cables and hoses so everything fits flush. And you'll do this a few times, as you check clearance against the alternator when filing it.

Make sure the fuel line is placed underneath the supercharger before bolting it down. You will not be able to fish it through after the fact. Just ask me how I know...

Fuel injector clips can be tricky, take your time and don't break them. They slide right off when you pinch the clip, you should not be using any force on them.

I'll add more notes as I think of them.

And don't forget, I linked the latest install guide a few posts above.
This is starting to sound a bit tricky. I will make my final decision whether I install myself or go to a shop after I have a look at the kit and all the parts when it arrives Monday.
Chad86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 08:05 AM   #6177
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
I noticed sometimes on a hot day or when I've had a few hard pulls the area around the oil fill screw is moist as if oil was misting/sprayed/boiled out or something. Anyone have this happen to this?

I'm running non-IC, so I think it's safe to assume the oil is just getting too hot? Maybe a different oil or getting a new gasket for the oil fill screw will fix it (other than getting an IC)? I'm using the recommended redline.

EDIT: I'm talking about the supercharger oil fill plug

Last edited by Books; 03-22-2015 at 04:35 PM.
Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 11:55 AM   #6178
nmastereal

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Books View Post
I noticed sometimes on a hot day or when I've had a few hard pulls the area around the oil fill screw is moist as if oil was misting/sprayed/boiled out or something. Anyone have this happen to this?

I'm running non-IC, so I think it's safe to assume the oil is just getting too hot? Maybe a different oil or getting a new gasket for the oil fill screw will fix it (other than getting an IC)? I'm using the recommended redline.
Are you running a oil cooler?
nmastereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 12:38 PM   #6179
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
@DarrenDriven add to the list please.

SN S5-210-261213-0005
Old 03-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #6180
Books

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S (MT)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmastereal View Post
Are you running a oil cooler?
Yes, I'm running a mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 03-22-2015, 06:30 PM   #6181
asphaltkyle

Drives: 2013 BRZ, 2011 M3 Competition
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Just installed my supercharger on Thursday. Stage 2 with the intercooler. I am using Delicious Tuning for my tune, and I have flashed the ECU and followed the instructions word for word. Initially, the car cranks and idles at 1500, somewhat fluctuating from 1400-1600 from the direct injectors. When the port injectors kick in, the engine dies and the car turns off. When I try to crank it again, the car immediately dies after a second from cranking. I have already troubleshooted it with Zach from Delicious and made sure the injectors were in firmly with the o-rings from the stock manifold, but I still can't get my car to be driveable. Anyone have this problem?
asphaltkyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:37 PM   #6182
mikalem

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltkyle View Post
Just installed my supercharger on Thursday. Stage 2 with the intercooler. I am using Delicious Tuning for my tune, and I have flashed the ECU and followed the instructions word for word. Initially, the car cranks and idles at 1500, somewhat fluctuating from 1400-1600 from the direct injectors. When the port injectors kick in, the engine dies and the car turns off. When I try to crank it again, the car immediately dies after a second from cranking. I have already troubleshooted it with Zach from Delicious and made sure the injectors were in firmly with the o-rings from the stock manifold, but I still can't get my car to be driveable. Anyone have this problem?
Perhaps a short due to the coolant pump? For grins, will the car run if you unplug the injector harness pass-through for the coolant pump and wire it up like stock? (Don't go running it down the street like that, just see if this resolves the start and idle issue to isolate the problem)
mikalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:03 PM   #6183
brzaapi
CAR-AHOLIC

Drives: 2018 BRZ Ts - CWP
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
My car is having some hesitation during cold start ups...almost as if it's struggling to get started. Anyone else encounter this issue after installing their kits?

Are you running E85?
brzaapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:06 PM   #6184
dpgfunk

Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brzaapi View Post
Are you running E85?
91 oct
dpgfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:42 PM   #6185
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpgfunk View Post
My car is having some hesitation during cold start ups...almost as if it's struggling to get started. Anyone else encounter this issue after installing their kits?
Mine did that every now and then on 93
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:01 PM   #6186
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
@moto-mike and others:
I really don't care about numbers, I like noticeable results. Those I definitely got with my current setup and I love it. Sadly, everyone outside of the FRS/BRZ scene is obsessed with wanting to know peak hp/tq on my setup. What results are you getting with the 210 non-IC, 70mm, and E85? Specifically, stock vs your tune? As you may recall, I only have a catback so other completely stock exhaust systems would have very similar results.
My answer for now has been "let's go for a ride and I'll show you"
Old 03-25-2015, 01:55 PM   #6187
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
What catch can are you folks running? I did a search, but you know how that goes. I'm looking at some and would like to get an ideal on what works with this SC. Also Dual cans really necessary or is PVC side good enough?
Old 03-25-2015, 01:56 PM   #6188
CK_Bladesmith

Drives: Raven FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Innovate (Sprintex) Supercharger Owners Topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedWi View Post
What catch can are you folks running? I did a search, but you know how that goes. I'm looking at some and would like to get an ideal on what works with this SC. Also Dual cans really necessary or is PVC side good enough?

I have dual radium catch cans on my innovate setup and both cans catch oil/water/fuel. I highly recommend them

Edit: here's a pic of both cans. Left is pcv, right is breather side.
Attachment 105478
Raven FR-S mods: Unichip, Ground Control street coilovers with camber plates and strut tower brace, SPC Lca's, Drag DR-38 wheels with Dunlop Direzza DZ101s, Perrin CAI and silicone inlet tube, Perrin 3" resonated catback, Perrin high flow catted front pipe, Rev Works UEL header.
CK_Bladesmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.