follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 08-10-2020, 06:26 PM   #15
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've been tracking the car for a couple of years and use the plastic rings. I have yet to crack one. They only help center the wheel during install. I change wheels about 15 times a year...
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:59 AM   #16
CrowsFeast

Drives: 2013 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
Why aluminum?

Plastic should do the trick and will generally be cheaper. I found them via Amazon from gorilla for $20.
Unfortunately the plastic ones I got from Amazon didn't fit. I've been going without instead.
CrowsFeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #17
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Plastic will melt eventually from brake heat. It's been covered already, but rings definitely aren't needed, they're simply for convenience when mounting wheels. On a german car that runs wheel bolts instead of studs they're MUCH more useful, getting two bolts in to get the wheel to start centering while holding it up is a pain.
The Following User Says Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
Jordanwolf (08-11-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 10:50 AM   #18
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparsons View Post
On a german car that runs wheel bolts instead of studs they're MUCH more useful, getting two bolts in to get the wheel to start centering while holding it up is a pain.
Totally agree. I've had one European car with lug bolts and I can't imagine mounting the wheels without rings. Stock wheels was a cinch, though - just put them on the ring and rotate them until the holes line up.
With hub studs you need to kinda hook the wheel onto the studs the right way, otherwise the other studs will interfere with mounting the wheel. I really don't see the benefit of hubcentric rings for mounting here (I had my Enkei's for a moth until the rings arrived (shipping problems), and felt zero difference once I've put them on).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ohio Enthusiast For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-14-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 02:36 PM   #19
Flukester

Drives: 2019 BRZ - Raiu
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotAMiata View Post
I'm looking for a set of aluminum hub centric rings from 73mm to 56.1mm,
i can't find anything on amazon that isn't 50+$, eBay only ships from china or is 20+$ shipping from USA. anyone know where I might be able to order a set?

How about these aluminum rings?

Muteki Hub Rings - Various Sizes

This is a Canadian reseller (in Ontario). I've done a couple orders from them and have been satisfied so far. However, everything I ordered was in stock.

They list "Usually ships in 10 to 15 working days" for all Special Order items. You might want to contact them to confirm the expected delay.

There are multiple sizes listed for this item. One size is "73mm x 56mm (86 Fitment)" which seems to be what you are looking for.

Sold as a pair. Make sure you select the correct size and order two kits if you need a complete set of 4 rings..

Hope that helps.
Fluke
Flukester is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flukester For This Useful Post:
Turbo (09-30-2020)
Old 08-11-2020, 04:02 PM   #20
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Enthusiast View Post
Totally agree. I've had one European car with lug bolts and I can't imagine mounting the wheels without rings. Stock wheels was a cinch, though - just put them on the ring and rotate them until the holes line up.
With hub studs you need to kinda hook the wheel onto the studs the right way, otherwise the other studs will interfere with mounting the wheel. I really don't see the benefit of hubcentric rings for mounting here (I had my Enkei's for a moth until the rings arrived (shipping problems), and felt zero difference once I've put them on).
Heh, when I had my PF01s, I also ordered a set of cheapy aluminum hub rings from China (eBay specials): the edge of the rings actually led to my wheels being unbalanced (not mounting flush to the face of the hub), leading to vibration issues (thank God nothing worse than the vibration happened).
Ended up ordering a set of Enkei hubrings from JRP and while it fixed the vibration, it was likely also a waste of money/overkill.
If I'd just done the install without the rings, probably wouldn't have had an issue.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:53 PM   #21
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiheadjai View Post
Heh, when I had my PF01s, I also ordered a set of cheapy aluminum hub rings from China (eBay specials): the edge of the rings actually led to my wheels being unbalanced (not mounting flush to the face of the hub), leading to vibration issues (thank God nothing worse than the vibration happened).
Ended up ordering a set of Enkei hubrings from JRP and while it fixed the vibration, it was likely also a waste of money/overkill.
If I'd just done the install without the rings, probably wouldn't have had an issue.
Probably would've been 100% fine with some plastic rings from wherever you bought the wheels. I've so far had two sets of plastic rings and they've worked great.
Old 08-13-2020, 09:53 AM   #22
daiheadjai

Drives: 2003 S2000, 2008 Fit
Thanked 1,154 Times in 688 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Probably would've been 100% fine with some plastic rings from wherever you bought the wheels. I've so far had two sets of plastic rings and they've worked great.
Yeah for sure - the only reason I got them was because I was about to do a couple HPDE sessions... Though I'm probably not at the skill level to brake hard enough to melt the plastic rings, figured I'd play it safe. Definitely won't be spending money on rings in the future.
daiheadjai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daiheadjai For This Useful Post:
wparsons (08-14-2020)
Old 09-24-2020, 08:54 AM   #23
sygfrid
FT8Syg

Drives: `12 FRS & `17 BRZ Inazuma
Garage
1010 Tires has hub centric rings
Modding for daily fun & efficiency: Gruppe-S UEL, HKS dual res. FP, STi Per. Muffler, Delicious T. Ecutek tune, Crawford BPB, Grimmspeed CAI, STi Flex T. Bar, TRD Door Stabilizer, DSS aluminum propeller shaft, Verus diffuser & underbody covers, Verus LCA, Perrin bushings, Bilstein B6+RCE Yellows, Michelin PS4S + 18" WedsSport TC105X-summer, Michelin Alpin PA4 +18" Motegi MR140-winter
sygfrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #24
Turbo

Drives: FR-S Turbo
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Why would you want aluminum rings then? Aluminum is a know soft metal. In addition to that, why would you think a small little ring would be as strong as the entire centre bore of a OEM or aftermarket wheel?

Some small ring isn't going to carry the entire weight of a car, let alone a fraction, so I don't know who told you that, but they're wrong.

I can melt a set of plastic hubcentric rings almost to beyond recognition in just 1 evening at the track.

Quote:
Then you aren't pushing anywhere near hard enough

He's on the right path, and should be running aluminum. Full stop.

That said - it isn't easy to find them in Canada at a reasonable price.
Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:34 PM   #25
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo View Post
I can melt a set of plastic hubcentric rings almost to beyond recognition in just 1 evening at the track.

Then you aren't pushing anywhere near hard enough

He's on the right path, and should be running aluminum. Full stop.

That said - it isn't easy to find them in Canada at a reasonable price.
Do not misconstrue what I was saying, I did not recommend plastic rings for the track. Read the replies I was replying to.

I've melted my centre caps, I'm confident I could've melted some plastic rings too, ask @new2subaru
Old 10-01-2020, 06:11 AM   #26
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Quote:
Do not misconstrue what I was saying, I did not recommend plastic rings for the track. Read the replies I was replying to.

I've melted my centre caps, I'm confident I could've melted some plastic rings too, ask @new2subaru
That was funny! I believe your brakes were on fire too

I've never melted the rings but have had some crack recently. They lasted two years.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:58 AM   #27
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
That was funny! I believe your brakes were on fire too

I've never melted the rings but have had some crack recently. They lasted two years.
Yeah, I changed my fluid and pads very quickly after that lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (10-01-2020)