follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 03-20-2015, 11:39 AM   #6161
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Did the install with a buddy. I'm by know means one to work on cars other then doing regular maintenance items. I have to agree with poster above. Coolant line routing was confusing from reading the instructions. There are some missing information in the instructions. However, with all the notes on this thread it cleared up some of my head scratching moments. I did the Install over a few evenings too. One thing I notice was getting the coolant flowing was a PITA as you have to keep turning the car on and off to get the pump moving the fluid and the refill the reservoir about 10-15 times
Chad86 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:41 AM   #6162
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxscaxx View Post
The "hardest" part would probably be placing the unit down as its a tad heavy and you have to basically hold it out in front of you to place it down. Wasn't a problem for me, but it may be beneficial to have a second person for that part.

Be quick about swapping the coolant hose on the back of the block to minimize your coolant loss, and de pressurize the gas lines by pulling the fuel pump fuse under the hood and letting the car die out. Those are the only few things I can think of that are nuisances.
I remember these tips from my old mazdaspeed3 and rx8 days, these are very good tips.

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dream20b For This Useful Post:
Chad86 (03-20-2015), xxscaxx (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 11:54 AM   #6163
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
You can still view Ethanol content by logging the "Custom Map P" parameter in EcuTek. Going from 93 power is gradually added in with ethanol content. If you dump in E85 from an empty tank of 93 it's a much more drastic change. The engine can sound a tiny bit different running on ethanol, but not harsh. Could be your imagination, or you may have something going on mechanically, but the tune itself and Flex Fuel kit are unlikely to be causing any sort of issues in that regard. Can you log the ethanol content and report back?

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
Yeah I doubt it's the tune of flex kit. Thanks for the reply, I will definitely log it for you. Although yesterday I put 3/4 of a tank of 93 in it. I feel almost no difference
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:00 PM   #6164
Jmonty
Realtor/ Principal Broker

Drives: JRSC BRZ GBS LTD 2010 LTD Outback
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
For the owners running a smaller pulley 70MM or 69MM. What is the output difference, are there more supporting mods needed to run the 69MM thanks 281 pages make for lots of reading
Jmonty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:09 PM   #6165
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmonty View Post
For the owners running a smaller pulley 70MM or 69MM. What is the output difference, are there more supporting mods needed to run the 69MM thanks 281 pages make for lots of reading
It would be advised to run the Intercooled kit with 70 or 69mm pulleys. Besides that, it depends on your tuner. If using Delicious there are no other requirements (fueling...can still use stock injectors and fuel pump - at least with the 70mm pulley as that was my setup).
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xxscaxx For This Useful Post:
Dream20b (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 12:25 PM   #6166
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
It would be advised to run the Intercooled kit with 70 or 69mm pulleys. Besides that, it depends on your tuner. If using Delicious there are no other requirements (fueling...can still use stock injectors and fuel pump - at least with the 70mm pulley as that was my setup).

Does that include if you're going to run straight ~E85

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:30 PM   #6167
R3NIK

Drives: 2013 FR-S/C
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Garage
Here's a link to the latest install guide:Install rev 1.10
Old 03-20-2015, 12:31 PM   #6168
R3NIK

Garage
Quote:
Not as necessary if you're running E85 full time.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #6169
xxscaxx

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
Not as necessary if you're running E85 full time.
ah good point, forgot to mention that. I'd still run it TBH lol but thats just me.
xxscaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 12:44 PM   #6170
R3NIK

Garage
@Chad86
Here's some quick install tips.
Remove all the under panels. You WILL drop bolts and this will save you countless time.

The coolant does not need to be drained, if you clamp the two coolant lines to the throttle body.

Make sure you have grease, I used white lithium grease to get all the hoses to slide on. You do not need to replace the back plastic hose couplers with brass, just be careful to not use too much force on them. It can be tricky to find the brass fittings with the proper pitch, and this blower is made in Australia and standard American/Imperial bolts won't work.

Use a torque wrench! Follow all torque guidelines. You'll have to convert Nm to Ft-Lb, I did this with my phone. The bolts on the FRS are soft, everywhere. I sheered one intake manifold bolt, and two underpanel bolts. And this was w/o much force.

Get an extra hand when placing the new intake manifold / supercharger. You'll want an extra set of hands to pull back cables and hoses so everything fits flush. And you'll do this a few times, as you check clearance against the alternator when filing it.

Make sure the fuel line is placed underneath the supercharger before bolting it down. You will not be able to fish it through after the fact. Just ask me how I know...

Fuel injector clips can be tricky, take your time and don't break them. They slide right off when you pinch the clip, you should not be using any force on them.

I'll add more notes as I think of them.

And don't forget, I linked the latest install guide a few posts above.
Old 03-20-2015, 04:16 PM   #6171
SpeedWi

Drives: 2014 BRZ (SOLD)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3NIK View Post
@Chad86

Make sure the fuel line is placed underneath the supercharger before bolting it down. You will not be able to fish it through after the fact. Just ask me how I know...

+1000 on this ^ I made this mistake. about 30mins trying to fish this through and cut on my hands!
R3NIK (03-20-2015)
Old 03-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #6172
brianhj

The fittings with the proper thread pitch were posted in this thread, so no, they aren't hard to find. The grey plastic ones that come installed on the kit are shit and will not stay tightened (the fitting in the elbow, not the hose on the fitting.) Not sure what was meant by "black plastic house couplers," I didn't have any of those in my kit.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 PM   #6173
brianhj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@delicioustuning.com View Post
You can still view Ethanol content by logging the "Custom Map P" parameter in EcuTek. Going from 93 power is gradually added in with ethanol content. If you dump in E85 from an empty tank of 93 it's a much more drastic change. The engine can sound a tiny bit different running on ethanol, but not harsh. Could be your imagination, or you may have something going on mechanically, but the tune itself and Flex Fuel kit are unlikely to be causing any sort of issues in that regard. Can you log the ethanol content and report back?

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
Hey Zach, I'm assuming that since we can go from stock pulley to 69mm without a tune, it's ok for me to go to back to stock pulley without a tune? I ask because I saw the "69" in the tune filename and wasn't sure if my tune was specifically for the 69mm pulley.
Old 03-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #6174
DeliciousTuning
PhoneFlash by EcuTeK

Drives: Edelbrock Equipped - Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,682 Times in 581 Posts
Mentioned: 403 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
Hey Zach, I'm assuming that since we can go from stock pulley to 69mm without a tune, it's ok for me to go to back to stock pulley without a tune? I ask because I saw the "69" in the tune filename and wasn't sure if my tune was specifically for the 69mm pulley.
Hey Brian,

The Stage 2 tunes we are sending out now have a compensation built in to basically dynamically scale the tune based on any pulley from 69-75mm. So yes, you can swap your 75mm back on, or the 69mm, or anything in between

Sincerely,

Zach
Delicious Tuning
DeliciousTuning is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeliciousTuning For This Useful Post:
brianhj (03-20-2015)

Tags
2 whp better than n/a e85, 2 whp? you're an idiot., 2screwsbetterthan0screw, 65 whp better than na e85, bspt fittings ftl, hate u all me no have sc, im just here for the tags, inorite!, it's no turbo but, only big numbers matter, screwyou, whine sexier than turbo, whines_more_than_your_gf, wts grey market butthurt.