follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2011, 09:37 PM   #435
Marrk

Drives: Honda Fit
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostamojen View Post

After all this talk of designing the car with the engine "low and to the rear," it looks like the engine is on top of the front axle. I would call that "ridiculous," not "revolutionary."

But maybe the car handles well despite this.
Marrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:12 PM   #436
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
After all this talk of designing the car with the engine "low and to the rear," it looks like the engine is on top of the front axle. I would call that "ridiculous," not "revolutionary."

But maybe the car handles well despite this.
Its not revolutionary, just common sense.

I just put this together to illustrate the change in engine location:

I also made this photo awhile ago as a drivetrain/suspension comparison photo, as it shows it even better along with how the suspension layout is the same:

(Yes, I know I stretched the FT/FRS/BRZ out a bit to the wrong size, but the point was to match up the suspension components)
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:50 AM   #437
Marrk

Thanks for the illustration, Kost'.

I'm sure we have all seen "front-mid-engne" cars with the engine placed fully aft of the front axle. I think I was hoping to see this on the FT-86.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #438
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quote:
A rear mounted transmission would have been awesome!

But the price for the car would have skyrocketed
Front-mounted tranny for RWD is news to me (always changed tranny oil at the rear of my FR/MR cars). What are the pros and cons of a front-mounted vs. rear-mounted RWD transmission?
Old 11-09-2011, 04:13 AM   #439
Kostamojen

Drives: 1993 Impreza w/ WRX Swap + FWD!
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Front-mounted tranny for RWD is news to me (always changed tranny oil at the rear of my FR/MR cars). What are the pros and cons of a front-mounted vs. rear-mounted RWD transmission?
What, do you only work on Ferrari's for a living? LOL! j/k

Its rare to have the transmission completely located in the rear, there is a short list on Wikipedia of Front engine, RWD cars with rear mounted transaxles: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transaxle

Most RWD cars have the transmission up front with the engine, and a differential in the rear.

But in the case of this Subaru/Toyota venture, they already had a drivetrain layout that would work fine for RWD, there was no need to invent an entirely new drivetrain. All they did was get a transmission that deleted the front differential and center differential from Subaru's All-wheel drivetrain and kept the rest.

I figured this was all common knowledge though... Guess there aren't too many Subaru folks here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marrk View Post
I'm sure we have all seen "front-mid-engine" cars with the engine placed fully aft of the front axle. I think I was hoping to see this on the FT-86.
One of the reasons a boxer motor can't go any farther back is due to the width of the motor. It would completely intrude on footwell space if it moved any farther back, and the car would have to be a 2 seater with a really long hood to accommodate it.

Thats kind of what I hoped for from the start, but they kept a lot of practicality with this car in place and didn't move it that far back.
Kostamojen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #440
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by old greg View Post
Or just moving the front and rear wheels forward by 3 inches. The car would have been 50/50 if the powers that be had wanted it that way, with no fancy transmissions or BMW-esque tomfoolery required.

And to go along with that a healthy increase in weight, if you wanna keep the same proportions that it....
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #441
Marrk

Quote:

I can't think of any reason to move it to the rear except to achieve a better total weight distribution in a front-engine car. My 944S2 had the tranny (transaxle, I guess we must say) in the rear.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:48 AM   #442
Marrk

Quote:
One of the reasons a boxer motor can't go any farther back is due to the width of the motor. It would completely intrude on footwell space if it moved any farther back, and the car would have to be a 2 seater with a really long hood to accommodate it.

Thats kind of what I hoped for from the start, but they kept a lot of practicality with this car in place and didn't move it that far back.

Yeah. I think I was accustomed to thinking in terms of two-seaters. My bad.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #443
Ryephile
Hot Dog

Drives: quicker than arghx7
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I know it's way off topic, but there are at least a couple front engine/rear transaxle setups out there; the Nissan GT-R and Corvette being the first to come to mind. The benefit of moving the trans to the rear means you can move the engine closer to the middle of the car. The total polar moment of inertia may or may not be improved, but the weight distribution is definitely pushed rearward. It certainly allows for shorter overhangs and/or more room for aerodynamic refinement, since all the powertrain is within the wheelbase.

-->Kostamojen: Very cool comparison drawings! It's cool to see the engine in the FT-86 is almost a full engine-width rearward, and noticeably lower. The struts being so much shorter on the FT-86 does have me concerned about total suspension stroke, but we'll have to wait and measure when it hits the streets.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #444
ForReal-Someday

Drives: Company Vehicle
Thank you for the comparison photos. Has anyone discussed the caster angle that this car has. You can see in this comparison that it is quite aggressive compared to the forester. Doesn't caster angle create more camber when the wheels are turned? Did they do this to offset the camber loss that is associated with strut type suspension when it is under compression? Do I even know what I'm talking about?
ForReal-Someday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #445
old greg
Rocket Surgeon

Drives: PSM GGA OMG
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForReal-Someday View Post
Do I even know what I'm talking about?
You seem to.

From the side view it doesn't look like there's any more caster than the Forester, if anything it looks like there's less. Caster does create camber when the wheels are turned (positive camber on the inside tire, negative on the outside). More isn't always better though, in fact too much caster is just as bad as not enough. How much is enough depends on a lot of things, like what tires you're using, KPI angle, roll stiffness, camber curve, static alignment, Ackerman, where you're driving, etc. The other neat thing caster does is it causes increased lateral load transfer (less grip) in the rear, and decreased lateral load transfer (more grip) in the front.
old greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 12:07 PM   #446
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryephile View Post
I know it's way off topic, but there are at least a couple front engine/rear transaxle setups out there; the Nissan GT-R and Corvette being the first to come to mind. The benefit of moving the trans to the rear means you can move the engine closer to the middle of the car. The total polar moment of inertia may or may not be improved, but the weight distribution is definitely pushed rearward. It certainly allows for shorter overhangs and/or more room for aerodynamic refinement, since all the powertrain is within the wheelbase.
LFA, Benz SLS, Ferrari 599 (I think), Most front engined Porsches, Alfas... the list goes on.
The 'FT' stands for 'forgot topic'.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:06 PM   #447
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
With regards to the weight distribution being the same as my old Supra (prior to lightening) I think I see where I'm making a mistake.

Even if the the FT86 has the same 53/47, the weight is more centralized, so the polar moment of inertia will be much less.

My bad.

Because titanium.
Dimman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 01:35 PM   #448
Cessblood
Boost equals pleasure

Drives: MT Raven FRS Lexus ES300 &Turbo tc
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryridesmotox View Post
only time will tell if this motor will be able to handle extra power well... .
It better handle extra power and abuse cause Toyota and Subaru made the FT86/FRS/BRZ for tuners. They know some owners will want to take the path of boosting and some other owners will take the path of all motor. I'm one of the future owners that want to boost this baby. Boosting is like a drug to me. I'm hooked lol. Anyway if it's fun to drive, imagine how fun it will be to drive with a turbocharger in the engine bay. With the high C.R. it's going to be kind of hard to boost this baby safely.
Cessblood is offline   Reply With Quote