follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

CANADA Canada

User Tag List

Old 07-14-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
NotAMiata

Drives: 2015 frs, 2000 Honda s2000,
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Looking for information on tuning on ECUTEK license/cable

Bit of a background, I've never gotten a car tuned before. I'm looking to get my frs tuned sometime in the near future, hopefully for under 1000$ in the GTA. I'm looking to get an ECUTEK kit in order to get it done. I'd like to be able to plug my own personal laptop in after the tuner is done to check on things and fiddle around.

So I'm a little confused at how these work. I see three different pricing schemes on multiple sites, one for just the ecutek programming kit, one for the kit and a "license" and one for the kit, a license and a tune.

The third option makes sense, it includes everything you need. Where I'm confused is option 1 and 2. What does the license exactly do? Can I just go with option 1, bring my car to a tuner, and they deal with everything? Would that still let me fiddle around myself or would I be chained to that specific tuner?

I tried doing some reading into it but I'm kind of stupid so this isn't making sense. I wish it was as easy as buying a cable and plugging my laptop in. I have no idea why they have to make it so annoying with this license shit but it's either this or the open flash tablet and that doesn't have alot of the features I want.

TLDR: Want to get my frs tuned on an ecutek, looking to do it as cheaply as possible, Out of the three "kits" I can buy, what's the bare minimum I need to get in order to bring my car to a tuner and have them tune it?

Thanks, sorry for the long post.
NotAMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:07 PM   #2
SUSPECT_BRZ

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ TS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Hey I'm new to the platform as well but I'm familiar with HP tuner and it works in a similar way. I've never tuned a car myself, because it requires quite a lot of time, knowledge, and willing to take risks while learning.

From my understanding, there is a price for the device software and cable (which you can eventually sell or trade), an additional fee for the licence which is tied to your vehicle and your vehicle only, and then an additional price for what I usually call a canned tune, which is what you download to your car based on the mods. I heard some canned Ecutek tunes are really great, like the CSG and Delicious tuning ones.

For the full price, you can basically do everything yourself and keep the device for future changes. It comes with a tune personalized to your vehicle.

If you plan to get the vehicle tuned by a professional tuner, he will most likely have the software and device already, so you will only pay for your own licence and then the price of the tune. From there, you will basically only have to pay for re-tunes.

For example, for someone going forced induction, I would recommend buying the full kit since you won't be able to start the car with a proper tune. Most kits are quite straightforward to install so at least you save on the install fee and towing if the tune is at a different location. A lot of people are happy with factory canned tunes from vendors.

Hope that helps!
SUSPECT_BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 10:16 PM   #3
SUSPECT_BRZ

To add to this thread, do you guys went with a custom tune or a factory tune? Any reputable tuners in Ontario?
Old 07-15-2020, 08:32 AM   #4
Muskoka800

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS Release Series 2#439
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Onpointdyno.com
Sasha tunes with Ecotek and is well respected in the community.
Muskoka800 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muskoka800 For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-18-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #5
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
See my post: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...0&postcount=11

If you go to a tuning shop and use their equipment, you can forego the physical hardware a.k.a. "ProcECU Programming Kit" (Deskey Dongle and Vehicle Interface).

No matter what, you need a license and a tune. The license is something you are technically paying Ecutek for. The tune you pay to get from your shop or storefront.
Some places bundle their own shop tune along with Ecutek ProECU Programming Kit + Ecutek license. Though you can see that the tune is reflected in the higher price (tunes aren't free usually)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
wparsons (07-18-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 03:26 PM   #6
SUSPECT_BRZ

But let's say we compare a tune from a reputable local tuner vs a great canned tuned from Delicious or CSG...will the personalized tune always be better? I know it was the case with my previous vehicle and HPTuner, but not sure with Ecutek...
Old 07-15-2020, 04:03 PM   #7
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
To add, if you have mods that are unusual then a local tuner is the right path. If you are stock or only simple mods it may be cheaper to buy a canned tune. Check with Delicious and CSG about what you have and what you can have done. It may be less expensive.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUSPECT_BRZ View Post
But let's say we compare a tune from a reputable local tuner vs a great canned tuned from Delicious or CSG...will the personalized tune always be better? I know it was the case with my previous vehicle and HPTuner, but not sure with Ecutek...
Well, I guess you can look at Ecutek tunes in the following teirs:

3. The "canned" off-the-shelf tune
2. The "canned" tune with support (e.g. Delicious/CSG)
1. The "customized" tune (a.k.a. dyno tune)

Options #3 and #2 tend to be close to the same price (around $200 to $400 USD). Option #3 is kind of what you get for free from OFT, but with additional features that whatever company or shop wants to offer.

The benefit of getting Option #2 from a reputable shop is that they will provide support and dial the tune in for your hardware set-up with logging reviews and updates. It's no different if you go to them in person or do it over the web.

The major step-up is obviously Option #1 (easily over $700 USD). This option tends to be the most expensive, as it requires 1-on-1 shop time. Again, how good the tune is depends on the tuner you have access to and if you trust their work.

Again, above costs are just for the tune. You still need to add in the Ecutek prices depending on how much ownership you want there. At minimum, you need the license ($300 USD automatically)
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
SUSPECT_BRZ (07-15-2020)
Old 07-18-2020, 09:20 PM   #9
wparsons

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S Manual
Thanked 3,351 Times in 2,134 Posts
Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What features do you need from EcuTek that openflash or a tactrix cable doesn't have?

Almost all tuners using EcuTek will lock their tunes, so you can't "fiddle" with things later. No idea why you'd pay a professional tuner to tune the car then want to mess with the tune after though? Good way to ruin an engine if you don't know what you're doing.

You shouldn't pick a tuner based on them being the cheapest, that's also a great way to end up with a ruined engine.

If you want to see what your options are, find the tuner you want and talk to them about what you need. If you don't want to log or flash anything later you don't need the programming kit at all, just the license and the tune. The tuner will have the cable/programming kit, etc.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wparsons For This Useful Post:
guitarman (07-18-2020), SUSPECT_BRZ (07-19-2020)
Old 07-25-2020, 10:48 AM   #10
NotAMiata

Drives: 2015 frs, 2000 Honda s2000,
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys so I did a bit more research and I can't believe that ecutek charges almost 500$cad for a usb cable. I thought the license would be included in that cost. They're out of their god damn minds and now I'm heavily leaning to open flash tablet now. something I should have mentioned early on is that I bought a supercharger kit for my car so I don't know how well OFT works with Fi applications. Also I talked to neetronics and their price for a tune was pretty reasonable so I'll be going with them.

Appreciate the replies though, any info that helps is welcome!
NotAMiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 11:03 AM   #11
PLX92

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I would reach out to CSG, they can set you up with the ECUTek hardware, license and tuning remotely. Also being new to ECU tuning myself, I'm currently working with Zach now on a remote tune and its been a very smooth and easy process.
PLX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 01:55 PM   #12
SUSPECT_BRZ

Good to know the remote tuning process seems quite simple even for newbies!