follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-05-2018, 01:33 AM   #29
mabviper

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
While I agree that there's some vibrations present when you lug the car, after a shop installed my OEM Exedy clutch, it's vibrating so much that my rear deck lid is just ringing. I've had the car since it's was new and it never used to vibrate so much that I can feel it in my spine. I also drove 2 other FRS/BRZs and both of them did not exhibit any sort of harsh vibration. The only thing that was changed during the clutch install was the Exedy OEM clutch and new TOB. The flywheel was just cleaned, not machined.

I saw the car a bit when it was getting the clutch installed. It seemed like they didn't support the engine so I'm wondering if some of the heatshields were bent or something. I'll be removing the 2 undertrays tomorrow and drive around.... yay for witch hunting!

@radroach Unfortunately, the whiteline bushing install didn't actually do anything I was really hoping it's just a trans mount issue.
mabviper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
Edwood

Drives: BlackTRD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Did you ever work out what this was. I have exactly the same issue and Toyota are blaming the new clutch...
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:02 PM   #31
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Mention function failed and I missed the recording.

After listening and catching up, it's not minor. If it rattles the rear deck lid, that's something heavy like engine mount, starter motor, front pipe support? @Mr.ac still nailed it in first response.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:11 AM   #32
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Mention function failed and I missed the recording.

After listening and catching up, it's not minor. If it rattles the rear deck lid, that's something heavy like engine mount, starter motor, front pipe support? @Mr.ac still nailed it in first response.

I never found out what it was. Checked the torques. Engine mounts, trans mounts, trans support were fine. Starter motor didn't rattle on start up, front pipe was fine.

My ACT clutch kit started dragging a while later, so I removed it all together and put the OE clutch back in
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:32 AM   #33
Edwood

Drives: BlackTRD
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So you changed just the clutch and the vibration stopped?
Edwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:42 PM   #34
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwood View Post
So you changed just the clutch and the vibration stopped?
In my case, yes. It happened while I had an aftermarket clutch kit on the car. Went away when I put the OE one back in.

Could have been installation, could have been the clutch. No way to really tell.
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (07-01-2019)
Old 07-01-2019, 04:49 PM   #35
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
I never found out what it was. Checked the torques. Engine mounts, trans mounts, trans support were fine. Starter motor didn't rattle on start up, front pipe was fine.

My ACT clutch kit started dragging a while later, so I removed it all together and put the OE clutch back in
That's a bummer. Honestly, the stock transmission is weak enough that I wouldn't install a tighter clutch anyhow.