follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-10-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
migueralliart

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Suggestions for long highway cruising mods

I have a 2013 mt with 23k miles. While I love the car as a commuter for half hr drives I am now facing the possibility of driving 1 hr each way on the i95 for a contract job.

I've been thinking about things I could change/swap to the car to help with the 80mph 1hr commute each way.

First thing that came to my mind was swapping the rear diff to lower the rpms overall so that the engine doesn't stay past 3.5krpm all the time. This will help a lot with gas too I suppose. I really only care about the long distance cruising and I realize my stand still acceleration will get worse with such a diff but it is not a problem as I really don't race on the streets with this car.

Second thing was a good set of coilovers that can be adjusted for a softer ride during the week.

Third would be wheels/tires , probably 18's with a good thread wear tire and low road noise? any suggestions here

I think the stock brakes are good for now since I don't really track the car.

Was thinking about sound deadening but haven't seen many threads about it.

The sound system on my car has been upgraded to an android radio with wifi hotspot so I can use kodi, Pandora etc etc so this is not an issue.

Would like to hear your thoughts. Especially the people here that commute long distances at such speeds.
migueralliart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by migueralliart View Post
I have a 2013 mt with 23k miles. While I love the car as a commuter for half hr drives I am now facing the possibility of driving 1 hr each way on the i95 for a contract job.

I've been thinking about things I could change/swap to the car to help with the 80mph 1hr commute each way.

First thing that came to my mind was swapping the rear diff to lower the rpms overall so that the engine doesn't stay past 3.5krpm all the time. This will help a lot with gas too I suppose. I really only care about the long distance cruising and I realize my stand still acceleration will get worse with such a diff but it is not a problem as I really don't race on the streets with this car. That might make it boring to drive and too slow

Second thing was a good set of coilovers that can be adjusted for a softer ride during the week. most coilover will not ride better then stock unless your spending big $$ but if its only for comfort your wasting your money

Third would be wheels/tires , probably 18's with a good thread wear tire and low road noise? any suggestions here Stick with 17's if you are worried about comfort. 18's will make it ride harsher due to less sidewall. Nitto Invos are amazing DD tires. I ran them for half of last summer and I must say they are the quietest tire I have ever witnessed in my life. They are also great in the rain

I think the stock brakes are good for now since I don't really track the car.
yup they are more then enough

Was thinking about sound deadening but haven't seen many threads about it.
yeah it will make a noticeable difference if you do it right but will make your car heavier

The sound system on my car has been upgraded to an android radio with wifi hotspot so I can use kodi, Pandora etc etc so this is not an issue.

Would like to hear your thoughts. Especially the people here that commute long distances at such speeds.
my thoughts are I have a full catless exhaust and drive the piss out of my car work every day and enjoy listening to the exhaust note although on long trips I end up half def when I get there lol. My work commute is only 20 minutes so its okay for me.
Reply in red
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016), MisterSheep (03-10-2016), Pat (03-11-2016), Zaku (03-11-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:43 AM   #3
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
If you have two hours of commuting at 80mph daily and you are talking about modding your car to make the commute easier, you bought the wrong car - plain and simple. Your best bet will be to get a second car like a Camry or something that is meant for doing that.

If you want a softer ride, put 16 inch rims on with some high sidewall tires. The bigger the sidewall, the softer the ride will be. Sound deadening is nice if you do it right and can be very expensive (dynamat is expensive, even if you DIY). Dynamat is always nice and rims can be swapped out in 15 minutes so you can have fun on the weekends.
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 3nl For This Useful Post:
Braces (03-10-2016), DAEMANO (03-10-2016), go_a_way1 (03-10-2016), mdm (03-10-2016), NWFRS (03-12-2016), Pat (03-11-2016), Romanov (03-12-2016), Tcoat (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:46 AM   #4
c4lvinnn

Drives: Toyobaruion
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think you bought the wrong car if you can't even stand it for 1 hour trips.
c4lvinnn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to c4lvinnn For This Useful Post:
86kahl (03-10-2016), go_a_way1 (03-10-2016), Harvie1031 (03-11-2016), mdm (03-10-2016), Romanov (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
migueralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
If you have two hours of commuting at 80mph daily and you are talking about modding your car to make the commute easier, you bought the wrong car - plain and simple. Your best bet will be to get a second car like a Camry or something that is meant for doing that.

If you want a softer ride, put 16 inch rims on with some high sidewall tires. The bigger the sidewall, the softer the ride will be. Sound deadening is nice if you do it right and can be very expensive (dynamat is expensive, even if you DIY). Dynamat is always nice and rims can be swapped out in 15 minutes so you can have fun on the weekends.

I'm considering a contract job (1yr) and atm my car is almost paid so I don't wanna buy another car. My normal commute is 25-30 mins each way and the car has very low mileage for being a 13' model.

My warranty is actually 7yrs/100k so I would like to put some more miles into the car and not fall victim to the system of trading in getting ripped off and buying a sedan.

With a couple of changes here and there I think I can make it work with this car, after all I'm getting 2.5x the salary so it is something worth considering.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #6
migueralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
I think you bought the wrong car if you can't even stand it for 1 hour trips.

I never said I couldn't stand 1 hr trips. I only want to spare the engine a LOT of damage from driving at high rpms while cruising 80mph. It is in the 1st post man.
Old 03-10-2016, 11:57 AM   #7
c4lvinnn

Quote:
I never said I couldn't stand 1 hr trips. I only want to spare the engine a LOT of damage from driving at high rpms while cruising 80mph. It is in the 1st post man.
What are you driving at 115mph for hours on end? the car runs at like 3.5k at 80ish. that's normal for a car lol
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to c4lvinnn For This Useful Post:
BRZ_Prague (03-11-2016), extrashaky (03-11-2016), go_a_way1 (03-10-2016), mdm (03-10-2016), NWFRS (03-12-2016), Romanov (03-12-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
3nl

Drives: 2015 FR-S 6MT
Quote:
I'm considering a contract job (1yr) and atm my car is almost paid so I don't wanna buy another car. My normal commute is 25-30 mins each way and the car has very low mileage for being a 13' model.

My warranty is actually 7yrs/100k so I would like to put some more miles into the car and not fall victim to the system of trading in getting ripped off and buying a sedan.

With a couple of changes here and there I think I can make it work with this car, after all I'm getting 2.5x the salary so it is something worth considering.
I never said to get rid of the FR-S, I said to buy a second car for your long commute. If your FR-S is almost paid off, get a used sedan that is meant for long trips at highway speeds. You are not looking at small changes "here and there", you are looking at at spending $4-5k on mods plus install to make your commute easier - you can buy a second car for that price.

BTW cruising at 80mph for an hour each way isn't going to hurt your car at all.
3nl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 3nl For This Useful Post:
mdm (03-10-2016)
Old 03-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #9
migueralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by c4lvinnn View Post
What are you driving at 115mph for hours on end? the car runs at like 3.5k at 80ish. that's normal for a car lol
You obviously never commuted on i95 in FL :P

Min Speed here is like 80mph
Old 03-10-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
c4lvinnn

Quote:
You obviously never commuted on i95 in FL :P

Min Speed here is like 80mph
I'm from Texas. Our posted limits are 85. We go at least 90 either way. still under 4k RPMs.

your car isn't going to explode because you drive at 4k RPMs for an hour for a commute.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #11
migueralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3nl View Post
I never said to get rid of the FR-S, I said to buy a second car for your long commute. If your FR-S is almost paid off, get a used sedan that is meant for long trips at highway speeds. You are not looking at small changes "here and there", you are looking at at spending $4-5k on mods plus install to make your commute easier - you can buy a second car for that price.

BTW cruising at 80mph for an hour each way isn't going to hurt your car at all.

Well.. I'm in need of new tires so the Invos are in order and sound deadening as well. These things help and are not that expensive.

The coilovers are the most expensive. If I can find a rear diff and swap it for a lower ratio for say less than 500$ It'll pay for itself, lower the rpms and also I can go FI after the contract is done and have better traction.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:08 PM   #12
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well.. I'm in need of new tires so the Invos are in order and sound deadening as well. These things help and are not that expensive.

The coilovers are the most expensive. If I can find a rear diff and swap it for a lower ratio for say less than 500$ It'll pay for itself, lower the rpms and also I can go FI after the contract is done and have better traction.

Thanks for the constructive suggestions.
You will not be disappointed with the invos as far as daily drive-ability goes. If you were local I would sell you my set cheap cuz I am going with race tires this year lol. I wouldnt do the diff man. Invest in a oil cooler so you can drive harder and not worry about your engine. Heat is what kills engines not RPM's however RPM's do = heat. The stock rad is fine but the lack of an oil cooler is what should concern you.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #13
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Don't even worry about it. For the first year I had the car I was commuting 55 miles each way in/out of NYC. Speeds were between stopped and 90mph depending on traffic with good to terrible pavement quality. The noise is certainly bearable but if you're already planning on mitigating it, great. Don't be concerned with engine revs just change the oil around 6k miles and the engine will be fine then do tranny and diff once a year. If you go with quieter tires you will likely notice them wearing more quickly but not enough to be a problem other than the cost.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:19 PM   #14
migueralliart

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
You will not be disappointed with the invos as far as daily drive-ability goes. If you were local I would sell you my set cheap cuz I am going with race tires this year lol. I wouldnt do the diff man. Invest in a oil cooler so you can drive harder and not worry about your engine. Heat is what kills engines not RPM's however RPM's do = heat. The stock rad is fine but the lack of an oil cooler is what should concern you.

Actually I didn't think of the oil cooler. That is a MUCH better way to help with wear due to heat.

I totally understand that the car CAN be driven at such high rpms for extended periods of time but wear is higher with higher RPM and that's a FACT. Also the reason the auto gets such a great mpg while cruising at higher speeds is because of the rpm it cruises at (gearing).

I think invo's and oil cooler it is for now.