follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 06-11-2022, 04:28 AM   #1
Limitz

Drives: Black Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Used Techron complete system cleaner and car is limp mode

I used Techron complete system cleaner today when filling up an empty tank, it’s my first time using it and I have 102,000 miles, when I finished filling up on gas I turned the car on and let it run for a good minute then started driving home just fine for about 5 minutes and then car started losing power and went into limp mode, pulled over put car in park and car turned off on its own. I then turned it on and noticed it was sounding a bit different (had a cammed sound to it kinda)left it on for about 5-7 minutes the noise went back to normal and then drove it home but once again went limp mode and just drove idle home. Which wasn’t that far. Any idea why this would happen ? I thought it was safe to use, my only guess is that I have high mileage but I don’t think it would be bad enough to make the car go limp mode, also NO check engine light or anything turned on. Tried turning the car on next morning and it just cranks now. Note: before adding the gasoline the car was running fine no problems took it on a 30 mile trip right before filling up with gas which just makes this more frustrating

Last edited by Limitz; 06-11-2022 at 09:22 PM.
Limitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Limitz For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-12-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 10:14 AM   #2
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
How much techron did you use, and do you have any modifications?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #3
Limitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
How much techron did you use, and do you have any modifications?
I used a whole bottle since it said use whole bottle for 12 gallon gas tank… ended up putting 10.4 gallons of 93 after, only mod is my exhaust catback, ima try again to just leave it running maybe it’s putting in work since it’s my first time using it maybe it has a lot of cleaning to do …?
Old 06-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #4
fableluke

Drives: BLue 2013 frs
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Why did you use fuel cleaner? Our cars shouldnt need anything like that. I have never used fuel cleaner/additives ever for any of my cars. The frs/brz/86 has direct and port injection so fuel cleaning solutions arent necessary.
fableluke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fableluke For This Useful Post:
Teseo (06-11-2022), Yoshoobaroo (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 12:28 PM   #5
Limitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fableluke View Post
Why did you use fuel cleaner? Our cars shouldnt need anything like that. I have never used fuel cleaner/additives ever for any of my cars. The frs/brz/86 has direct and port injection so fuel cleaning solutions arent necessary.
Honestly my neighbor just gave me it saying it would clean out all gunk and shit and Improve my m/g, I searched up if it was safe to use on the frs and nothing negative came out of it so decided to give it a try but not my car won’t start up lol just cranks and the rpm flutters between 0-1k
Old 06-11-2022, 02:13 PM   #6
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
It can't be limp mode. Codes will be thrown and the gauge cluster lights up like a christmas tree.

I know someone who's throttle butterfly jammed open. It acted in a similar fashion. Wild guess here.
Old 06-11-2022, 02:18 PM   #7
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,304 Times in 7,368 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fableluke View Post

You do know that fuel system cleaners have been around for decades before GDI was ever prevalent in passenger vehicles.

I agree with Ultra. Something’s going on. You’d have codes for limp mode. I would try disconnecting the battery for 30 sec and trying it.
humfrz (06-12-2022), RToyo86 (06-11-2022), Sapphireho (06-11-2022), Ultramaroon (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 03:47 PM   #8
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,239 Times in 8,609 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitz View Post
I used a whole bottle since it said use whole bottle for 12 gallon gas tank… ended up putting 10.4 gallons of 93 after, only mod is my exhaust catback, ima try again to just leave it running maybe it’s putting in work since it’s my first time using it maybe it has a lot of cleaning to do …?
I used to put 3 bottles in about 4 gallons of gas in my 911, then go out and do an Italian tune-up (recommended by Porsche). I think the Techron is totally coincidental.

I agree with Ultra too. You got something else going on.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sapphireho For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (06-11-2022)
Old 06-11-2022, 04:15 PM   #9
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Disconnect the battery for 15 mins and see if it goes away. Any chance it’s bad gas? Is it a high-volume gas station you’ve used before?

I agree with the above, don’t use fuel system cleaner unless there’s a problem you’re trying to solve. The fuel itself is already an excellent cleaner by itself lol.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 05:27 PM   #10
Project_1796

Drives: Scion FRS 10 series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Honestly my neighbor just gave me it saying it would clean out all gunk and shit and Improve my m/g, I searched up if it was safe to use on the frs and nothing negative came out of it so decided to give it a try but not my car won’t start up lol just cranks and the rpm flutters between 0-1k
It's probably bad luck and the fuel pump happened to die on you, check the in tank pump in the rear seat. Cycle the key to on without cranking and try to listen for a buzz from the fuel pump.
Project_1796 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 09:16 PM   #11
Limitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
I used to put 3 bottles in about 4 gallons of gas in my 911, then go out and do an Italian tune-up (recommended by Porsche). I think the Techron is totally coincidental.

I agree with Ultra too. You got something else going on.
So my mechanic came to check it out quick since he couldn’t run lots of test on it since he didn’t have time, but we did get multiple misfire codes, an air sensor code,but he believes it to have something to do with the throttle body since I’ve had an issue with it before. ima check if disconnecting battery for a while then plugging it back in will turn the car on. Car just cranks now and doesn’t want to turn on. Ive also had some problems with the battery, and apparently a fuze is going bad. I thought maybe I didn’t put the correct gas but I’m 99% sure I used 91 octane .. which is what it takes, I don’t think I would mess that up, but still a possibility.
Old 06-11-2022, 09:25 PM   #12
Limitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project_1796 View Post
It's probably bad luck and the fuel pump happened to die on you, check the in tank pump in the rear seat. Cycle the key to on without cranking and try to listen for a buzz from the fuel pump.
Mechanic checked the fuel pump and we could hear it, he said it sounded fine.. so we moved to the engine bay where he said my throttle body makes a lot of noise and flutters so we going to check on that tomorrow
But for now I’m honestly stuck at square one not knowing exactly what to check
Old 06-11-2022, 09:27 PM   #13
Limitz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
It can't be limp mode. Codes will be thrown and the gauge cluster lights up like a christmas tree.

I know someone who's throttle butterfly jammed open. It acted in a similar fashion. Wild guess here.
My mechanic said the throttle body was acting weird and making too much sound, related to that? He said the throttle body would flutter
Old 06-11-2022, 09:34 PM   #14
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
My mechanic said the throttle body was acting weird and making too much sound, related to that? He said the throttle body would flutter
It's exactly that.