follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 06-03-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
RayRay88

Drives: 2017 86 860 Special Edition
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Ohlins with Extended Rear Top Hats

Does anyone have Ohlins (SUU MP22 or any with the 200mm 5k/5k springs) with the Raceseng 1" extended rear top mounts. I'm just having a tough time figuring out how to pre set the ride height before I install them on the car this weekend. The extended rear mounts move the reference for the height adjustment. No problem with preload.

I'm also still having a tough time trying to figure out why this setup would not be lower than using an OEM top mount. It seems the stack height is almost half of what and OEM top mount and spring perch would be.

If all else fails, I'll just wing it once it's on the car. Just didn't want to raise, adjust, lower and repeat so many times.
RayRay88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 08:00 PM   #2
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Have you read the install instructions? If you raise the top mount up 1 inch you will need to extend the ride hight 1 inch. The instructions state you have a +- 10mm adjustment or .39 inch. For ride hight. Looks like you are going to be over 1/2 inch to low. You can correct this with preload but then you just f upped all the engineering put into the shock.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 12:13 AM   #3
RayRay88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Have you read the install instructions? If you raise the top mount up 1 inch you will need to extend the ride hight 1 inch. The instructions state you have a +- 10mm adjustment or .39 inch. For ride hight. Looks like you are going to be over 1/2 inch to low. You can correct this with preload but then you just f upped all the engineering put into the shock.
Thank you but yes I have read the instructions repeatedly to find a clue.

The top mount extends the travel of the shock, but the way its designed the total stack length seems shorter. I have the spring preloaded correctly with 20mm (180mm spring length installed), but due to the different top mount the the entire spring assembly and lock collars has moved up an unknown amount (I don't have an oem top mount to compare upper perch positions). So now the reference for the height adjuster is no longer valid. I can't get close to the target 25mm that Ohlins recommends. The adjuster bottoms out on the shock and i'm still about 30-40mm away from the target.

This would have been a lot easier if Ohlins gave us assembled full shock length reference numbers.

Looks like i'll just be eyeballing it for now and then adjusting once they're on the car.
Attached Images

Old 06-04-2021, 08:02 PM   #4
Grady

Garage
I have the MP21 with 5k springs the adjustments are exactly the same as the MP22. If you look at the MP20 installlation it does give a total length of 381.5mm. That should be close to ours. The preload with the space to the lower mount on ours is 205mm, it is listed as 219 on the MP20. If everything else on the kits are the same except the spring and valving that would give a little more safe adjustment. On a side note not sure gaining an extra inch of compression will help any. My car will drag ass already without bottoming out the strut.
Old 06-05-2021, 03:21 AM   #5
RayRay88

Quote:
I have the MP21 with 5k springs the adjustments are exactly the same as the MP22. If you look at the MP20 installlation it does give a total length of 381.5mm. That should be close to ours. The preload with the space to the lower mount on ours is 205mm, it is listed as 219 on the MP20. If everything else on the kits are the same except the spring and valving that would give a little more safe adjustment. On a side note not sure gaining an extra inch of compression will help any. My car will drag ass already without bottoming out the strut.
I had found that reference a few weeks back too and locked in the settings. I was just curious if anyone else had come across this before I throw them on today . Can never be too sure since that kit comes with the softer rear spring, and ours are stiffer. I'll know where I stand once I start measuring and swapping.

Tons of people, including RCE have mentioned the rear compression stroke is a bit of a weak point for these dampers, I was getting the front tops anyways, it's an easy thing to throw them on from the get go. Especially since I'll be running 200tw tires.
Old 06-05-2021, 08:29 AM   #6
Grady

Garage
Let me know how it goes. Probably agree with the rear dampening, but all in all I like the ride and performance of these. I will have to say I have switched from 4s to cup 2 tires and probably passing the limit of the 5k springs. Probably will need to upgrade to 6k to 7k springs at some point.

Old 09-19-2022, 09:20 AM   #7
RacingredGR86

Drives: 2022 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Let me know how it goes. Probably agree with the rear dampening, but all in all I like the ride and performance of these. I will have to say I have switched from 4s to cup 2 tires and probably passing the limit of the 5k springs. Probably will need to upgrade to 6k to 7k springs at some point.

Reviving this thread as I'm interested in the Ohlins R&T for my build. @Grady - did you ever switch out to stiffer springs (6/7k)? If so, did you also have the Ohlins revalved? Curious to see if the Ohlins were able to meet your needs.
RacingredGR86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 08:28 AM   #8
Grady

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingredGR86 View Post
Reviving this thread as I'm interested in the Ohlins R&T for my build. @Grady - did you ever switch out to stiffer springs (6/7k)? If so, did you also have the Ohlins revalved? Curious to see if the Ohlins were able to meet your needs.
I have not yet. Been working on another car project.
The Following User Says Thank You to Grady For This Useful Post:
RacingredGR86 (09-21-2022)