follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 12-18-2021, 08:27 PM   #1
nathand

Drives: 2016 HyperBlue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Track Wheels and TPMS

What are the suggestions for wheels that are used for autocross or track days (and possibly driving to and from the track). Put in TPMS sensors and clone the stock ones, or just go without the TPMS on the track tires?
nathand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2021, 08:30 PM   #2
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Go without. They’re really not needed anyway
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
nathand (12-22-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #3
Autoxer62

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Depends on if you drive to the event on them. I put cloned sensors in the autocross tires, I want to know if I pick something up while street driving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Autoxer62 For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 01:06 PM   #4
Fletch

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited
Couple of questions, sorry if they're stupid. I'm just researching new track wheels/tires for my first ever BRZ:

1. Why would you not want TPMS for the track? I know they're not really accurate but they seem useful as a ballpark guide. I've been using them in my other car.

2. If I get tirerack to install TPMS sensors in my new wheels will they be compatible with my '22 BRZ and work straight away? I assumed so, but the previous post about 'cloned sensors' has me second guessing..

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:20 PM   #5
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
Couple of questions, sorry if they're stupid. I'm just researching new track wheels/tires for my first ever BRZ:

1. Why would you not want TPMS for the track? I know they're not really accurate but they seem useful as a ballpark guide. I've been using them in my other car.

2. If I get tirerack to install TPMS sensors in my new wheels will they be compatible with my '22 BRZ and work straight away? I assumed so, but the previous post about 'cloned sensors' has me second guessing..

Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread
At the track you're constantly monitoring pressures so tpms isn't really necessary. The light only comes on at a low pressure. As far as Tire Rack sensors that would be a question directed at them.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 02:52 PM   #6
Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
At the track you're constantly monitoring pressures so tpms isn't really necessary. The light only comes on at a low pressure. As far as Tire Rack sensors that would be a question directed at them.
Ah now I get that the previous gen was just a warning system. I was thinking about a 4 wheel psi readout when I posted that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fletch For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 05:22 PM   #7
timurrrr

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,297 Times in 718 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
2. If I get tirerack to install TPMS sensors in my new wheels will they be compatible with my '22 BRZ and work straight away? I assumed so, but the previous post about 'cloned sensors' has me second guessing.
Even '22 owners haven't yet figured out how to program non-OEM sensors to be picked up by the car. I wouldn't over-invest into that yet.

Quote:
Ah now I get that the previous gen was just a warning system. I was thinking about a 4 wheel psi readout when I posted that.
You can in fact read out the exact pressures via the CAN bus if you have a proper data logging system, but indeed it's not shown in the OEM instrument cluster. That may or may not be something why you'd want to have the TPMS sensors in the wheels.
timurrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timurrrr For This Useful Post:
Old 12-19-2021, 05:48 PM   #8
Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by timurrrr View Post
Even '22 owners haven't yet figured out how to program non-OEM sensors to be picked up by the car. I wouldn't over-invest into that yet.
Good info - thanks!
Old 12-19-2021, 06:47 PM   #9
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
If that's true then that changes things. Modern sensors weigh almost nothing so if you've got the cash to burn go for it. I know on my old acura they're only off by <1psi from my gauge so if I were ever to beat on that car I would use them instead of getting out of the car.

Old cars with a dummy light that only triggers at like 25-26 psi were useless except to remind you to top off the tires when winter hit. Zero fucks given about spending money on sensors for that, just leave the light on it doesn't affect anything.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 08:07 PM   #10
Fletch

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
If that's true then that changes things. Modern sensors weigh almost nothing so if you've got the cash to burn go for it. I know on my old acura they're only off by <1psi from my gauge so if I were ever to beat on that car I would use them instead of getting out of the car.
Yeah I can confirm the new gen has the 4 wheel psi display on the dash. I also have it on my other car and found it can be anywhere from 1psi up to 2-3psi out from my guage. But I personally still find it useful to monitor while im driving on track.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fletch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 10:03 AM   #11
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,928 Times in 1,714 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I don't have sensors in any of my aftermarket wheels. Way too expensive for what they do. If I could use the dayta and they were a bit less, I'd think about it. Depends how easy it is to swap wheels. My wife's car displays PSI which is nice, but I have to do stuff with the scan gauge every time. Kinda a pain.

Quote:
Yeah I can confirm the new gen has the 4 wheel psi display on the dash. I also have it on my other car and found it can be anywhere from 1psi up to 2-3psi out from my guage. But I personally still find it useful to monitor while im driving on track.
As long as they're consistent, you'll learn what pressures you want to see.
nathand (12-22-2021), TommyW (12-20-2021)
Old 12-20-2021, 10:29 AM   #12
Goingnowherefast

Drives: AP2 S2000, 91 Miata 1.8L Rotrex 5MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

Well firstly, the gen 1 didn't have anyway to actually display the real-time pressures without logging software. So basically the only thing they are good for on track wheels is lighting up the dashboard when it sees pressure go from 25 cold to 35+ hot in the matter of minutes (the GT86/BRZ might not have this issue, but other cars do).

Now, if you have a car that displays real-time pressure data in the infotainment or main display, then yeah I'd say get TPMS.
Old 01-11-2022, 02:48 PM   #13
deca

Drives: Halo 860
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You can in fact read out the exact pressures via the CAN bus if you have a proper data logging system, but indeed it's not shown in the OEM instrument cluster. That may or may not be something why you'd want to have the TPMS sensors in the wheels.
This is the first I've heard this but it makes perfect sense. I may have to look into getting this going on my Solo and finally pull the sensors out of my stock wheels.
deca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 03:14 PM   #14
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,209 Times in 515 Posts
Quote:
How are you getting that? These are the channels I've got in AIM.