follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 11-28-2015, 06:39 PM   #449
alvinrenz

Drives: firestorm 2015
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Any black friday deals? Or cybernonday😊

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
alvinrenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:58 AM   #450
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have some questions for you fbm owners!

1) Installed the jdl catch can, it connects the pcv and crank case, however in the fbm instructions it says to vent crank case to atmosphere. When the crank case hose was connected to the catch can, the car would idle very poor and the car was choking, sounded like it needed more air. Unplugged the hose and it idled much better. Is it supposed to vent to atmosphere or can I use the jdl catch can? I never got instructions from jdl for the catch can, I called them and they said they didn't have any either...

how are you guys running your catch cans and what brands?

2) The blow off valve is open when at idle, but closes when some throttle is applied. I'm assuming this is how its supposed to be. But to me, why would it be open. Wouldn't it suck in air from the engine bay when theres a possibility of dirt/dust going in and going through the throttle body?

3) I have the fbm oil cooler. The sandwich plate seems to be leaking. It was sealed with that liquid teflon tape type thing, but still leaks. Not sure what the reason is for it leaking. The fittings are in all the way in.. any ideas?

4) I had all my hot pieces ceramic coated by a local place, and it seems like some of the piping was either shrunk or gotten a little bigger. The wastegate is VERY close to the crank pulley. Almost 1-2 mm away from touching. Anyone have this issue or know of a solution?

5) The dump tube is sort of short and dumps very close to the radiator fan harnesses? I'm thinking of making the dump pipe a big longer so it can dump outside of the engine bay.

Any help or ideas would be great! Thank you!
Old 11-30-2015, 05:35 AM   #451
Northwest86

Drives: Velocity Orange 86 GT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
In reguards to the oil cooler reinstall with a hydraulic sealant of some sort. My personal favourite is Loctite 567. Coming from a hydraulic standpoint I'd literally slap someone if I saw them use Teflon tape on anything but a water tap.
Northwest86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:26 AM   #452
VitViper

Drives: '15 FRS
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Johnny View Post
2) The blow off valve is open when at idle, but closes when some throttle is applied. I'm assuming this is how its supposed to be. But to me, why would it be open. Wouldn't it suck in air from the engine bay when theres a possibility of dirt/dust going in and going through the throttle body?
No, it needs a different spring.
VitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitViper For This Useful Post:
FRS Johnny (11-30-2015)
Old 11-30-2015, 09:37 AM   #453
King Tut
NASA SpecE30 Racer

Drives: 2006 Honda S2000
Thanked 5,759 Times in 3,055 Posts
Mentioned: 274 Post(s)
Tagged: 10 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to King Tut
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRS Johnny View Post
I have some questions for you fbm owners!

1) Installed the jdl catch can, it connects the pcv and crank case, however in the fbm instructions it says to vent crank case to atmosphere. When the crank case hose was connected to the catch can, the car would idle very poor and the car was choking, sounded like it needed more air. Unplugged the hose and it idled much better. Is it supposed to vent to atmosphere or can I use the jdl catch can? I never got instructions from jdl for the catch can, I called them and they said they didn't have any either...

how are you guys running your catch cans and what brands?

3) I have the fbm oil cooler. The sandwich plate seems to be leaking. It was sealed with that liquid teflon tape type thing, but still leaks. Not sure what the reason is for it leaking. The fittings are in all the way in.. any ideas?

4) I had all my hot pieces ceramic coated by a local place, and it seems like some of the piping was either shrunk or gotten a little bigger. The wastegate is VERY close to the crank pulley. Almost 1-2 mm away from touching. Anyone have this issue or know of a solution?

5) The dump tube is sort of short and dumps very close to the radiator fan harnesses? I'm thinking of making the dump pipe a big longer so it can dump outside of the engine bay.

Any help or ideas would be great! Thank you!
1. Sounds like a vacuum leak. Sounds like you hooked up the hose off the back of the intake manifold which is not correct. You connect both hoses from the rear passenger and front driver side crank case and breather.

2. You need a stiffer spring. The BOV should be closed at idle. The correct spring is an 11 psi with some washers (I have some I can mail you) or a 12 psi.

3. Tighten the fittings or remove them and apply more sealant and give it another shot.

4. I have no idea on that one.

5. Sounds like a good idea. I would make it dump underneath the metal panel. Are you sure you have your wastegate installed at the right angle? Seems 4 and 5 might be related.
Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #454
FRS Johnny

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Tut View Post
1. Sounds like a vacuum leak. Sounds like you hooked up the hose off the back of the intake manifold which is not correct. You connect both hoses from the rear passenger and front driver side crank case and breather.

I will try that today

2. You need a stiffer spring. The BOV should be closed at idle. The correct spring is an 11 psi with some washers (I have some I can mail you) or a 12 psi.

Thats what I thought. Yes I will pm you about the spring!

3. Tighten the fittings or remove them and apply more sealant and give it another shot.

The plate was pretty tight already and didn't seem like it would tighten any farther, But I will try it again. I might just use a different plate that has fittings for oil temp / pressure. But we'll see.

4. I have no idea on that one.

5. Sounds like a good idea. I would make it dump underneath the metal panel. Are you sure you have your wastegate installed at the right angle? Seems 4 and 5 might be related.
Yeah, because the dump pipe ends near the bottom of the fans
Old 11-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #455
VitViper

Drives: '15 FRS
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
The other solution is to install a Turbosmart Raceport BOV. Never ever had to change the spring on it on a single car I've used it on (dozens). Tial always crack at idle and you have to deal with spring swaps and shimming, junk.
VitViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:57 PM   #456
FRS Johnny

Very true, however I don't really want to buy another bov.
Talked to full blown and they will help me out in getting another spring! Awesome!
Old 09-27-2021, 03:10 AM   #457
MujisGarage

Drives: 2015 AT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Questions about the Kit w/ gtx2867r

Hey guys, So I'm planning on installing the FBM turbo kit on my Automatic scion FR-S has anyone done this or does anyone have any advice for this?
MujisGarage is offline   Reply With Quote