follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
frswildcat

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ funny Handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel View Post
So I got two new winter tires that I put on rear wheels (front were still good for one season). I got Pirelli Sottozero 3 xl 225x45x18. My front tires are 225x40x18. After I put those tires on, the car just drives horribly. Whenever I accelerate or decelerate, car pulls to either side. When driving on a highway at 75, I constantly have to steer left or right, as car wouldn't just go straight, it slowly pulls to either side. And traction control kicks in at even slow speeds around bends. In simple terms, the car just feels wobbly. My last winter tire was Sottozero 2 that I was pretty happy with. But the new model is just undrivable. Is it because it is a taller tire (45 vs. 40) or because they are just really bad tires? Any ideas?
So I dug this up from a 2014 post but I am having a very similar issue. I do have an air bubble in my front right but I dont think that is the cause. I lose traction and the car tries to spin at low speeds around bends in the middle of the texas summer and just had two new tires replaced. Additionally I have the issue of the car suddenly trying to pull to one side especially during shifts. Any Ideas?
frswildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:07 AM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
When was the last time you had an alignment?

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
frswildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
When was the last time you had an alignment?
I have had the car for just over a year so assuming that long if AutoNation had it aligned before selling.
Old 07-31-2019, 11:13 AM   #4
Vital

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Check the tire pressure, check if the wheels are balanced, get an alignment possibly
Vital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 11:15 AM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Is everything stock?
Old 07-31-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
frswildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Is everything stock?

Bone Stock. (minus carbon gear knob) but Im thinking about those rims that 8RZ posted now. I feel as though it might be relevant to mention the fact that it does have 112k miles one it and I dont know its service history. I was in a minor rear end collision and it was after it was fixed I first started to notice funny handling but it wasnt until I got a nail in my right rear and had both tires replaced that I noticed it in full force.
The Following User Says Thank You to frswildcat For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:23 AM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by frswildcat View Post
Bone Stock. (minus carbon gear knob) but Im thinking about those rims that 8RZ posted now. I feel as though it might be relevant to mention the fact that it does have 112k miles one it and I dont know its service history. I was in a minor rear end collision and it was after it was fixed I first started to notice funny handling but it wasnt until I got a nail in my right rear and had both tires replaced that I noticed it in full force.
I would start with an alignment but you may also have a wheel speed sensor that is tweaked from the collision.
why? (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:28 AM   #8
frswildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I would start with an alignment but you may also have a wheel speed sensor that is tweaked from the collision.
I really hope its the alignment but the guy whose post I stole said it didnt correct it for him.

I would doubt its the wheel speed sensors because this was a very minor collision (happened in a parking lot backing out of a space and didnt even require any replacement of body panels (The entire parts list to fix it was just touch up paint a bumper retainer and a tail light, Although some body panels did need reworking just not replacing)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:49 AM   #9
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
I really hope its the alignment but the guy whose post I stole said it didnt correct it for him.

I would doubt its the wheel speed sensors because this was a very minor collision (happened in a parking lot backing out of a space and didnt even require any replacement of body panels (The entire parts list to fix it was just touch up paint a bumper retainer and a tail light, Although some body panels did need reworking just not replacing)

But at least a shop would be able to tell if there's something else bent or broken suspension-wise if they can't get it back in spec.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8RZ For This Useful Post:
why? (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 11:54 AM   #10
frswildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
But at least a shop would be able to tell if there's something else bent or broken suspension-wise if they can't get it back in spec.
This is very true. The point of this post was to get a list of things to have them check out so I dont have to keep going back when one thing doesnt fix it or they cant find anything wrong.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:16 PM   #11
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '12 C63 P31, '23 GRC
Thanked 2,072 Times in 1,185 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Garage
These cars can be very sensitive to tire pressure, though that doesn't have anything to do with you spinning tires.
Old 07-31-2019, 02:38 PM   #12
subaru

Drives: STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
If the rear shocks are completely blown it can cause the car to misbehave when cornering on bumps.

You NEED to have your alignment and suspension checked immediately. I mean if your car suddenly feels like it wants to spin out after being repaired from a collision. ugh? Usually I try to refrain from being rude but come on man.

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea. I rather run stock than do that. Next have car aligned and have a subaru shop check the suspension. I'd also look into those replacement suspension bolts subaru had for 2013's. Next be sure someone checks the axle to be sure its retainer bolt is not messed up (dunno what its actually called). Also they will presumably check shocks/struts
subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to subaru For This Useful Post:
why? (08-01-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 06:52 PM   #13
frswildcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post
If the rear shocks are completely blown it can cause the car to misbehave when cornering on bumps.

You NEED to have your alignment and suspension checked immediately. I mean if your car suddenly feels like it wants to spin out after being repaired from a collision. ugh? Usually I try to refrain from being rude but come on man.

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea. I rather run stock than do that. Next have car aligned and have a subaru shop check the suspension. I'd also look into those replacement suspension bolts subaru had for 2013's. Next be sure someone checks the axle to be sure its retainer bolt is not messed up (dunno what its actually called). Also they will presumably check shocks/struts

So luckily this is being done now. It handled ok after the collision repair it was funny for a day then normal. The real issues started when I got the flat fixed a few days ago but hopefully it just needed new tires and alignment which they confirmed was off quite a bit.
Old 07-31-2019, 08:16 PM   #14
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru View Post

I would first get rid of the 2 different types of tires, it's a terrible idea.
Quote:
So luckily this is being done now. It handled ok after the collision repair it was funny for a day then normal. The real issues started when I got the flat fixed a few days ago but hopefully it just needed new tires and alignment which they confirmed was off quite a bit.

Wait a second. Did I misread when you said you got new tires? Did you put different tires on the front and rear? If so that can cause all sorts of weird stuff.
why? (08-01-2019), WolfpackS2k (08-01-2019)

Tags
handling, tires, traction loss