follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 09-25-2017, 12:07 PM   #4145
amcp1

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Only issue I've had in the 2k miles since the install was the blowoff valve(diverter) crapped out. It was replaced under warranty by Jackson. Its been peaches besides that.
amcp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:40 PM   #4146
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Hi all, I'm considering either the Jackson Racing Supercharger or Sprintex innovate supercharger. I had my mind almost made up on the Sprintex because I love the whine it makes, but looking at that forum page compared to this one, it just seems like the Jackson is less prone to problems down the road. I hope my perception is correct. Are there any common issues that come up?
I had >6K miles without any problems with JRSC. I am not sure about the sound of Sprintex but you will definitely hear the whine and whoosh of Rotrex after 4k rpm. I like it too. I think the reliability is very much dependent on the quality of installation and other mods. Simplicity and ease of installation of JRSC kit helps as well. I recommend starting with the stock engine, CARB tune and drive several months as it is. I bet you will not want any other upgrades on your engine.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:17 PM   #4147
revaholic

Drives: 2016 Ablaze Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amcp1 View Post
Only issue I've had in the 2k miles since the install was the blowoff valve(diverter) crapped out. It was replaced under warranty by Jackson. Its been peaches besides that.
The 3 year warranty by Jackson is definitely also comforting - compared to the 1 year by Sprintex
revaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 06:37 PM   #4148
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by revaholic View Post
Hi all, I'm considering either the Jackson Racing Supercharger or Sprintex innovate supercharger. I had my mind almost made up on the Sprintex because I love the whine it makes, but looking at that forum page compared to this one, it just seems like the Jackson is less prone to problems down the road. I hope my perception is correct. Are there any common issues that come up?
The Sprintex kit is obsolete at this point. More noise = more energy used (wasted) to make the noise = less efficiency.

The JRSC is, hands down, the most proven kit on the market. PM @CounterSpace Garage when you're ready to order.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 12:49 AM   #4149
BuffDriver

Drives: 2016 Subaru BRZ
I wish I could see the torque curves for both superimposed over each other taken on an identical car.
I wonder which would have the edge down low MPH
Edelbrock SC kit w/ ECUtek tune, Oil Cooler, UEL catted header, Perrin 2.5 Overpipe n Catted midpipe, 3.0 Catback resonated (all exhst ceramic coated), TRD short shifter, MTEC clutch n trans springs, Trans: Pentosin MTF2, Diff: Motul 75W90, Whiteline trans bushing, 3/4" clutch slave cyl., Ferodo DS2500 pads w/Motul 600 fluid, 17x8 wheels n 235/45ZR-17 tires

Last edited by BuffDriver; 09-26-2017 at 05:41 AM.
BuffDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:59 AM   #4150
ozone42

Drives: SSM BRZ Limited
Just developed what seems to be a vacuum leak intake side somewhere.

Throwing a P0171 lean code, and the traction light is also on. Saw a few others earlier in the thread with these symptoms, but wanted to see what I'm missing.

I've checked the two ports/hoses under the plastic intake manifold. The two at the top and where they end up on the engine. The tees from those. Everything seems solid and non leaky, so there must be something else.

I can hear a new sound when I let off throttle, like a horse, rapid pbbblt kinda puf puf puf. Clearly that's it, but I can only reproduce that under load then letting off the gas, or occasionally cruising with super light throttle.

Anyone know what else to check?
ozone42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 11:37 AM   #4151
ozone42

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone42 View Post

Throwing a P0171 lean code, and the traction light is also on. Saw a few others earlier in the thread with these symptoms, but wanted to see what I'm missing.

I've checked the two ports/hoses under the plastic intake manifold. The two at the top and where they end up on the engine. The tees from those. Everything seems solid and non leaky, so there must be something else.

I can hear a new sound when I let off throttle, like a horse, rapid pbbblt kinda puf puf puf. Clearly that's it, but I can only reproduce that under load then letting off the gas, or occasionally cruising with super light throttle.

Suspect it's yet another dead plastic bypass valve, will take it off tonight and see what I can see.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:32 PM   #4152
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
I wish I could see the torque curves for both superimposed over each other taken on an identical car.
There is a whole thread on this.
It's great.... just search the forum a little.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM   #4153
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffDriver View Post
Even down low, the JRSC outpaces the Sprintex.

There is *zero* reason to consider a sprintex over any other supercharger on the market at this point, except noise.

An Ace header NA tuned twin makes similar power to a Sprintex with none of the complexity, for example.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:23 PM   #4154
CSG Mike

Quote:

Check your EVAP lines under the manifold. It's behind the AC compressor.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:46 PM   #4155
ozone42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Check your EVAP lines under the manifold. It's behind the AC compressor.
Yep did, thats what I meant by the ones under the intake manifold, just forgot what they were for.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:51 PM   #4156
CSG Mike

Quote:
Yep did, thats what I meant by the ones under the intake manifold, just forgot what they were for.
Then there's only 3 other possible hoses. Check both hoses coming off the manifold, and the one under the AC condenser that goes to your intake.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:51 PM   #4157
ozone42

Confirmed the bypass valve is not closing. Have one of the alternative aluminum ones mentioned earlier on in the thread enroute.
The Following User Says Thank You to ozone42 For This Useful Post:
twag4 (09-27-2017)
Old 09-28-2017, 06:39 PM   #4158
milanojess

Drives: 2013 FRS
Garage
new JRSC owner reporting

After years of FRS driving since 12, I've debated countless times with myself about weather to keep it or get something else. Long story short, I am happy to be part of JRSC ft86 family, and I'd like to share my experience so far.

Thoughts about the kit.

It is what it said it is, well designed and cleanly installed. The installation could improve with clearer pictures and parts labeled to reduce guesses, but it wasn't too difficult to pick right parts even for a casual mechanic like me. I wished for a Mac if not a linux client for tune install, but i get it that the world has more pc users still. The bumper removal instruction can certainly use a lot more details. I had to google and watch some youtube videos.

All in all I am very happy with the result. Any one looking at adding power should start from here

Driving impressions so far:

As mentioned on the forum, the throttle response was a little dead at beginning of movement, and while most people say there's no lag, I could say that there’s noticeable lag at lower airflow speed, which happens in daily stop/go traffic, but a non issue once air started moving when going above 3k rpm. This is not a complain, just an observation, and this is totally fine because track is where the power is needed.

The SC does make a unique mechanical noise separate from what engine makes, so car people should have no problem hearing it. That said, it's not the high pitch squel i've heard with those roots type scroll from the old muscle car movies. There's an off-throttle mechanical whoosh that's really interesting to hear ( well, for an NA person. This is my first FI ) At higher rpm, it almost sounded like a turbo car.

After 100 break in miles, it pulled smoothly to 7k+ rpm, and the car just felt more confident to be driven at any speed, like for example when merging into carpool lane, etc.

Question:

1. Do all of you with FI still drop the car off at dealer for maintenances and oil changes? do they make your life difficult seeing after market stuff?

2. Is CARB sticker required in the engine bay? What would be the preferred location for it? or can I just keep it in the glove compartment with registration?

3. Anyone here in south bay with JRSC willing to share maintenance experiences, check list for the fluid changes, if you have to remove bumper to adjust tightness of the tubings etc. I am also interested to hear how your JRSC sounds

I'd like to thank Mike and David at CSG for their tireless efforts answering tons questions before the purchase. Their presence here on the forum and always willing answering questions, shared their experiences of products etc, are invaluable assets for this community.
And kudos to JR for quickly identified and fixed issues.

TL; DR

Me:

I am not unfamiliar with working with cars, but the cars I worked on had their ecu's made with analog electronics before microprocessor based ecus existed. My tool chest has been sitting untouched mostly in the garage for the last decade or so.

My car and my goal:

I am long grown out of modding cars nowadays. I prefer buying a faster car than making a faster car. But the FRS has a role in the household and it's not going away. The chassis is brilliant, it's impressive how much grip it squeezed out of those prius tires, but the rest were not so much. If the power plant is the soul, then it is soulless. I sighted every time I brought it toward 7k rpm and wished for something else. I debated with myself for long time and finally decided that the most economic way is to give it more horses.

This FRS was completely stock with exception of aftermarket wheels riding on stock sized street tires.

Order and Receiving:

I Ordered the JRSC and Oil cooler kit at EO June from CSG after many many PM and Qs. Unfortunately there was a backlog with Rotrex SC units and as it turned out, Rotrex had summer shutdown that further delayed shipment. ( those of you familiar with Europe would know that summer shutdown is common practice there ) Then out of blue I received my order on Friday 9/1, right before the long weekend.

The entire SC kit came in a big box. Inside you would find smaller boxes as parts were grouped together. The oil cooler came in separate box.

The Installation:

If anyone from the SF bay area can remember, that was the record heat wave weekend where temperature were easily above triple digits even at night. But I was too eager to get things going and I wasn’t going to let it sit. I also do not have the luxury of indoor shop and had to rely on my side yard for all the works. I did setup some shades but the heat wasn't bearable until the area is under the shade of the house. Wife cooled the area down with water and I got box fans to keep air flowing. This means I have a few short hours to work on the car each day before it gets too dark.

On the first day I spent most time gathering tools, setting car up on stands, etc. I managed to have removed bumper, headlight, undo old belt drive pullyes and installed new studs etc., when sky darkened.

I find myself spending lot times reading and re-reading the instructions to really understand each step well. Often a part number is specified, but parts were mostly not labeled so lots of educated guesses needed to match the right parts for the steps. The car also uses different kind plastic clips everywhere, they require different ways of removal as well, but the concept's all same, pull the center pin and the rest should come out easily. Here I forgot to take detailed photos of them so it was some challenge to match up correct clips when putting them back on. So take more pics before you take things off, because this is the part where you have to figure it out by yourself as the instruction will just say “reinstall bumper by reversing steps”

Day 2 I installed the super charger unit, it's air tubing, oil cooler, adaptor, and their hoses etc. The challenge here was to pick right parts and route them thru with correct fitting and secure them down properly. There's no instruction for a JRSC+Engine Oil Cooler kit installation, so I had to formulate a method to install oil cooler as part of SC install. I also missed the tooling requirement of 25/27 mm sockets and wrenches, and 1-5/16 wrench at beginning of oil cooler installation manual so I had to drop things and went to Lowes/Oreilly's to pick up tools on separate trips.

Then I had to stop the works early to take wife out for a nice dinner for I left her home for the long weekend while I worked on the car. She made me fresh water melon slushes and stored them in a large thermo to keep me cooled and hydrated.

Day 3 started with slightly cooler weather in the 90s and cloudy, it even drizzled a little on the way home from lunch so I could start a little early. I worked on all the hydraulic and vacuum lines, and then it was time to install new tune before starting engine and prime the fluids. The installation of CARB tune is done by ProECU software from EcuTek, which only runs on windows. This turned out to be the most challenging and time consuming part for me.

It may be common for the rest of the world to have Windows at home, but linux/mac are the primary workforce here in the silicon valley nowadays. I personally never owned a PC in my life and the OS has been some kind Unix flavors or main frames since after the Apple ][ days.

Anyways, after reached out different circles of friends and colleagues, 3 different laptops, various VMs such as VirtualBox and VMware fusion, as well as Bootcamp, and many iteration of Windows installs, and the talks with JR which fixed licensing issue, etc. thats a few days after, and we finaly had ProECU running correctly and was able to communicate with the FRS' ECU!

A critical step that didn't seem to be indicated in the instruction was to run ProECU update process. The log should indicate that one license had been found and downloaded. Then, the license needed to be applied by going to Option menu item and select Apply License. Once this is done, ProECU was able to detect car and mine was identified as Subaru BRZ manual. No license was retrieved initially when I first ran update, then again I didn’t know such requirement. Without a valid license, proECU would not actually run vehicle detection process. I wish the error message could be more clearer indicating lack of license instead of unable to communicate with vehicle, so I wouldn't have waste time trying different windows installs.

Once in communication, the rest was easy. Using proECU, select the CARB tune file and install. Followed pop up instructions during the install to off and on ignition to restart the ECU until a success message was displayed. All took perhaps 2-3 minutes. All that works just for this.

Triple checked all the wirings and connections and I turned the ignition on with fingers crossed..

And its alive!!!

I managed to finish the fluids and checked for leaks, reviewed all 3 manuals to ensure no step was missed, before putting the bumper back on and went for a short drive, and check for leaks again.
All was well
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to milanojess For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (09-28-2017), gtengr (09-28-2017), kevaughan (05-14-2019)