follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > NY / NJ / CT / PA

NY / NJ / CT / PA NY, NJ, CT, PA

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Thanntos

Drives: Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Window Tints

Hey people in the state of PA, I was curious as to what some people have done for tints on their windows out there. I am a little cautious to get it done atm before I check, because I looked up the state law maximum and it says 70%.
Yet at the same time I see a load of cars around Bucks County/Philly with MUCH darker tints, like 20-40 or even darker. Even at my college lots of cars with pretty dark tints.

Has anyone in PA run into any police issues for having it too dark? Thanks!

(Also anyone recommend a place to go?!?! Been looking into this place http://www.shadesofgraytint.com/index.html )
Thanntos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:40 PM   #2
(-n0-)

Drives: S2000
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I was just at shades of grey getting tint again today. They do excellent work and i think they are the only tint shop endorsed at the philly auto show. I go 15%. If you go with a dark windshield strip you get pulled over in lower merion township and they make you remove it in my experience. but no fine!
(-n0-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
cnk

Drives: '13 DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
It honestly really depends on the each individual cop whether they want to pull you over or not. I had 35% on my WRX for over 10 years and spent a lot of time in PA since I used to live in Hopewell, NJ right across the border. I never got hassled and what I've found is that if you're not driving like an idiot and don't draw attention to yourself, you should be fine. If you do get pulled over for something else, sometimes. . and I stress sometimes, the cop will write you up for tints instead of the original infraction. That has happened to a couple friends of mine.

Keep in mind that in NJ you're not even supposed to have tint on the front windows, yet almost everyone has it. Best thing to do is to roll the front windows down when you see a cop and you won't even have to think about it.
cnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Shagaliscious
Banned

Drives: Firestorm FR-S (MT)
Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,166 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I've had cops TELL ME that 35% is legal in PA. That is, they tested my tint, and told me if it reads under 35% on their machine it is illegal, it ended up reading like 23%. I pulled out the paperwork and showed him that it said 35% front 2 windows, so I just got a warning and was told to remove it.

If I do get tint on the FR-S, maybe 50%, but that would be the darkest I would go. That makes it so people can still see in during the day, but not at night. And I'm just not sure that would be worth the money.
Shagaliscious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Phaedrus29

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
I've had 30% on my BRZ now for about 3 months without issue. I had mine done at Shades of Gray too.
Phaedrus29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:47 PM   #6
engee

Drives: Subaru
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Here are the legal limits for the states within the tri-state. What you do is completely up to you.

1st - State
2nd - Front (passenger and drivers windows)
3rd - Rear Sides (rear seat windows)
4th- Rear Back (hatchback/suv/wagons)
5th - WINDOW VISOR (how far down from top of glass)
6th - net/film

CT 35% 35% ANY% AS1 NET
NJ NO ANY% ANY% NO NET
NY 70% 70% ANY% 6" NET
PA 70% 70% 70% NO NET

The percentages mean that the window must allow more than x% of light in.

This data is the most up to date law. You can go darker, if you wish but at your own risk. If they ever use a light meter and you are below the allowed percentage, they can technically give you a ticket.

Last edited by engee; 09-24-2012 at 10:01 PM.
engee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #7
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by engee View Post
Here are the legal limits for the states within the tri-state. What you do is completely up to you.

1st - State
2nd - Front (passenger and drivers windows)
3rd - Rear Sides (rear seat windows)
4th- Rear Back (hatchback/suv/wagons)
5th - WINDOW VISOR (how far down from top of glass)
6th - net/film

CT 35% 35% ANY% AS1 NET
NJ NO ANY% ANY% NO NET
NY 70% 70% ANY% 6" NET
PA 70% 70% 70% NO NET

The percentages mean that the window must allow more than x% of light in.

This data is the most up to date law. You can go darker, if you wish but at your own risk. If they ever use a light meter and you are below the allowed percentage, they can technically give you a ticket.
Good stuff - any chance you have the info for whether tint is a primary offense and how much the fees are?

One other thing about NY that I read - you need to have the sticker between each window and tint that certifies legal tint, other states just require it on the door jamb.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote