follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-07-2020, 03:56 PM   #1023
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
When getting the tune, does the tune require dyno tuning or revisions like other E-tunes, or is the tune entirely canned because it is a CARB tune?

I got my file from Harrop. Still waiting on the sticker. The instructions has me confused.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:44 PM   #1024
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
When getting the tune, does the tune require dyno tuning or revisions like other E-tunes, or is the tune entirely canned because it is a CARB tune?

I got my file from Harrop. Still waiting on the sticker. The instructions has me confused.
The CARB tune is canned.
CSG Mike is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-07-2020)
Old 10-07-2020, 06:15 PM   #1025
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The CARB tune is canned.
Maybe the instructions and email were general instructions for their other tunes, or maybe it is just small print to cover their butt, but it was confusing.
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2020, 03:13 PM   #1026
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Hey guys,
I'm usually over in the Edelbrock forum, but I'm developing a remote Map Sensor for that kit and wanted to see if there's any need for it on the Harrop.
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-08-2020)
Old 10-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #1027
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by B T View Post
Hey guys,
I'm usually over in the Edelbrock forum, but I'm developing a remote Map Sensor for that kit and wanted to see if there's any need for it on the Harrop.
That’s been a recent topic here in the last few pages. Definitely looking for potential solutions. What do you have in mind?
Old 10-08-2020, 05:40 PM   #1028
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Hey guys,
Yes, I'm curious as to your design goals.

I've begun piecing together materials for one also, in order to remedy pressure pulsations inherent with these positive displacement blowers.

Is there a link to your project?
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 12:06 PM   #1029
B T

Drives: 15 BRZ, 2003 MR2, '70 Elky, 06 TBSS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The order for the CNC shop for the Edelbrock design went out today. I don't have the finished product in hand yet but 3D printed several prototypes for fitment. Issue is I don't have a Harrop nearby to test with. I do have a working design based on the dimensions of the stock MAP sensor. The idea is to T off your bypass line and run it to this CNC anodized vacuum block that also plugs the stock location. Depending on what you guys want to do, I can design it with the vacuumport facing forward or towards the bottom at the MAP location.

Last edited by B T; 10-09-2020 at 12:13 PM. Reason: more details
B T is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to B T For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 05:29 PM   #1030
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
The order for the CNC shop for the Edelbrock design went out today. I don't have the finished product in hand yet but 3D printed several prototypes for fitment. Issue is I don't have a Harrop nearby to test with. I do have a working design based on the dimensions of the stock MAP sensor. The idea is to T off your bypass line and run it to this CNC anodized vacuum block that also plugs the stock location. Depending on what you guys want to do, I can design it with the vacuumport facing forward or towards the bottom at the MAP location.
Ideally there would be a MAP adapter, which is essentially a plug with a hole in it that exits a distribution block. That exit could be a PT, NPT or AN female port or whatever adapts to a line or directly to a filter/dampener. There would need to be a second piece, which was an adapter that mounted to the MAP sensor that had a port for a NP, NPT or AN line or something.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:06 PM   #1031
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:

Can you post a sketch of your plumbing and set up?

So far I’ve gathered up two of the 15 psi gauges with the 1/8” male fittings on the back sides that I posted a picture of a few days ago, a hard plastic air gun filter with 1/4” male and female NPT fittings, and a 1/4” flow restrictor with 1/8” female pressure tap.

A few modifications, some 1/4” to 3/8” fuel hose, some 1/4” and 1/8” NPT plugs or caps, some other miscellaneous adapters, some holes drilled, and some brackets to hold everything in place is the rest of what I’ll need to test everything.

I’m planning on using the MAP port of the Harrop kit.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:42 PM   #1032
Irace86.2.0

The executive order is finally on CARB's website:

EO# D-829

https://ww3.arb.ca.gov/msprog/afterm...s/eo/d-829.pdf
Old 10-15-2020, 03:27 PM   #1033
dakine001

Drives: 17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I had my kit installed last week. Unfortunately, I haven’t been able to drive the car much, but should be finalizing the tune shortly. Very impressed so far, love the linear power.
dakine001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dakine001 For This Useful Post:
grumpysnapper (10-17-2020), Irace86.2.0 (10-15-2020), UNREAL (10-25-2020)
Old 10-24-2020, 01:38 AM   #1034
robv666

Drives: Toyota 86 GT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodalenko View Post
I’ve had a Harrop, installed by Harrop, on since Jan this year. Has completely transformed the car from the kitten it was to a tiger! Had the FlexFuel kit installed at the same time which is well worth it. Also have STI mounts and full driveline kit to stiffen it up done. Also have the Fluidampr on replacing OEM. Little things make a combined difference and mine is a fire breather at 226kw. Did the clutch before the install and though not necessary it’s worth doing. First gear is basically worthless now so looking at a FD ratio lowering to 3.9 ish..
Hi @Bodalenko just wondering what size pulley you have and what header you are using?
robv666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 03:18 PM   #1035
UNREAL

Drives: 2016 Toyota 86 GT (Auto)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
hi guys

what is the average/ok coolant temperatures? with this kit on a stock pully
UNREAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #1036
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNREAL View Post
hi guys

what is the average/ok coolant temperatures? with this kit on a stock pully
Please clarify: I am assuming you mean intercooler temperatures and not engine temperatures, correct? I'll give you the longest answer possible on both either way. Cliff notes below.

Unless someone hooks up a custom coolant temp sensor for the intercooler coolant, there is no way to know. You could use an infrared gun to measure the different pipes pre and post cooling, but this won't give you anything exact. Most people look at intake air temperature (IAT) for metrics on whether the system is running optimally. In a perfect system, where heat was pulled from the charged air with 100% efficiency, the IAT would match ambient temperature. This is not possible, so the goal is to keep them as close as possible.

The difference between these two measurements will fluctuate a lot depending on many factors such as ambient temperature, boost pressure, fuel source, tune, vehicle speed, boost duty cycle, etc., and therefore, the delta across the core changes significantly. For instance, in high ambient temperatures with a lower boost pressure setting, the difference in ambient air temperature and IAT is not that much, so the potential delta is not that much. Even if someone put in a larger intercooler, there may not be enough difference in temperatures to create a significant delta, so a larger intercooler may not do much, yet it probably won't matter, as the system will probably have adequate IATs. Conversely, in a low ambient temperature situation with high boost pressure, the difference in temps is large, so the potential delta across the cooler is large, even though the cooler is still the same size. A larger cooler may not be necessary. The problem comes with high ambient temperature applications with high boost. The delta could still be significant because of the difference, but the IAT could still be too high, so a larger core is needed. With all that said, the goal for the cooler is to avoid a heat soak situation, where the max delta doesn't do enough to get the coolant to optimal IATs. While the intercooler radiator can increase in size, the charge coolers in the manifold are fixed in size, so they will only have so much capacity at extracting heat from the charged air. If ambient air is high and target boost levels are high then the system could get heat soaked.

In some ways, I don't believe there would be runaway heat soak where IATs dangerously spike because I feel like timing will get pulled before that, which would act to decrease heat production. This would be felt as a drop in power. Without having experienced this myself, I would believe that someone would recognize the situation before timing reached some limit. Regardless, there would be oil temperature spikes before potential engine overheating/failure/preignition, so monitoring oil temps would be good.

Taking a look here. Typically staying 15-20C of ambient might be a good goal.

https://www.hpacademy.com/forum/efi-...erature-limits

--------------

If you are referring to engine coolant then it should be maintained to factory specs. Higher IATs from FI could increase heat buildup in the block, but more significantly, high combustion pressures lead to higher temperatures, which will most definitely heat the block. Maxing out the cooling system on the car in a high duty cycle application would mean the engine/coolant will overheat, but it is likely that the oil will have much higher temps at that point. Monitoring both oil and coolant temps are good, but if you have to pick one, I would monitor oil temps because oil takes longer to heat up and is harder to cool down. Also, oil pressures drop when oil temperatures go up, which is also a critical metric. If your oil temps are fine then your cooling system is likely healthy. Also, if the coolant system is overheating then you can remove heat by improving the cooling system through a larger coolant radiator, but it would be more important to add an oil cooler. By cooling the oil, you are removing heat from the system, which may remove the stress on the coolant. It is a matter of how do you want to increase the thermal capacity of the system in the most efficient and effective way.

--------------

Cliff notes:

Intercooler temps aren't known without a sensor, so you may want to follow IATs, which depend on many factors, but for max power, the goal is to not exceed 15-20 degrees Celsius over ambient temperature.

Engine coolant should be the same as stock. Oil temperatures are more critical and should be managed first.
botbs (11-19-2020), UNREAL (02-16-2021)