follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #2339
arucard77

Drives: 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
That was quick. Car already returned with new ECU.
arucard77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arucard77 For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-17-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:09 PM   #2340
Squishy

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
BRZ, 4715 miles on the clock, 6029xx.

Just started the car and waited for it to warm up and the idle stuck at 1k rpm and then began rough idle - blipped throttle and it went away.

I just left work less than half a mile - idling at a U turn it popped the CEL.

We will see what they do.

Update: They are going to replace the ECU so a few days wait for the replacement ECU and testing.
Update 2: ECU replaced and picked up car a week after dropping it off. Running smooth so far.

Last edited by Squishy; 12-18-2012 at 08:53 PM.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Squishy For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-17-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 08:40 PM   #2341
whtchocla7e

Drives: 2013 FR-S Hot Lava
Been watching car closely after the repair. Fast forward 3600 miles.

The strange idle behavior I've been noticing is related to the AC compressor. When the AC is off, my car idles steadily at around 650 when fully warmed up. Rock solid.

Very happy.

What I would like Toyota/Subaru to do is to provide an ECU update to allow me to decouple the fucking AC compression from the windshield defroster function.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:05 AM   #2342
E_br4ke

Drives: FRS 6MT
Garage
E_br4ke, FRS, ~2860mi when it happened, will reply back with VIN, will drop it off this weekend, TX, USA

both CEL and Limited Slip lights are on. Turned off and turned back on, still on. Will be reading the last few pages of this thread but hopefully they have found root cause and it should be a quick fix.

I dont really want to part with my baby.
E_br4ke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to E_br4ke For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-17-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:36 AM   #2343
ToytoyTT

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86 Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Dubai View Post
Toyota 86 M/T with 1100km on the clock, 10/12 production:
it happend after revving the engine hard then coming to a complete stop, idle became rough and started to decrease to 400 rpm then the engine CEL&SL came in I thought the issue was resolved from Sept. Production. I took it to the dealer and they say this is the first case and apparently they seem to have no idea of what is going on. Searched a lot and I cant seem to find the exact problem. Some say its just a reflash and other say cam sprocket while in the BRZ section ECUs are being replaced. Any thoughts?

Thanks
same thing happened to my 86. brought it to my toyota dealership took them 15 mins to do the ecu reflash everything seems ok now after 200km of hard driving
ToytoyTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 02:57 AM   #2344
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Garage
thought id contribute to this thread since im frustrated with the CEL issues..

asphalt FR-S purchased in October 2012
have since put on 6,000 miles
had first CEL around 5,800 miles threw the p0011 code for the cam shaft positioning/timing

the first time I had it cleared and decided to wait and see if I would throw the code again.
120 miles later I had a CEL for the same code p0011 drove to the local dealer where I purchased the car. they ended up keeping it for a week and a half and could not recreate the code thus leaving me with a car that had a CEL issue with no one wiling to try to fix something and was given back to me without anything being done to it other than the tech driving the shit out of it.

Had the vehicle back for all of 12hrs and threw the p0011 code again don't understand how the dealer couldn't recreate the issue but I managed it no problem. cleared the code at a buddies shop to take the car for a run and ended up throwing the code within 10 minutes of clearing it.

Took it back to the dealer an told them I want something done its no longer my problem fucking fix, that its total bullshit I was told everything was fine and threw the code again without anything being worked on or fixed. I was also informed the car had thrown codes before the dealer took possession of the car and had it delivered to me. thus ticking me off further.

the most recent up date consists of the dealer having the car for the last 2 1/2 weeks and parts due for delivery this coming Tuesday 12/18/2012 the parts that I am waiting on are new right cam shaft gears even though everything is mechanically functioning and leading me to believe that it is an electronic issue and am need of a reflash/new ecu not mechanical parts. im hoping for the sake of the service department that the issue is resolved and that I no longer throw codes after the new camshaft gear is put in.

im located in San Antonio/Boerne Texas have 6,xxx miles on the vehicle and will supply the vin when I get the car back as well as an update also it as the auto/triptronic transmission in it. I drive the vehicle like it was designed to be driven and followed the break in procedures to the t. Toyota of Boerne is handling the work on the car.

I drive the shit out of this car..

as much of a pain in the ass it is the positive is that im not paying a damn dime for any of this.

hopefully will have an update for yall soon if I can be added to the list id appreciate it

sorry for the long post just hoping to further inform yall as well as anyone else in my position
tuckdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuckdaddy For This Useful Post:
Alienate (12-15-2012), eurospeed (12-17-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 07:10 AM   #2345
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToytoyTT View Post
same thing happened to my 86. brought it to my toyota dealership took them 15 mins to do the ecu reflash everything seems ok now after 200km of hard driving
I wish it was a quick fix, I kind of cant understand why they need to replace the ecu rather than just reflashing it!

@tuckdaddy

when my dash lit up, i hooked it up with dash command app on iphone. Got error code p0017 concerning crank sensor and it gave the option to delete the code. I decided to not to delete the code to prevent the dealer from saying that all is well and nothing is wrong with the car.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #2346
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckdaddy View Post
thought id contribute to this thread since im frustrated with the CEL issues..

asphalt FR-S purchased in October 2012
have since put on 6,000 miles
had first CEL around 5,800 miles threw the p0011 code for the cam shaft positioning/timing

the first time I had it cleared and decided to wait and see if I would throw the code again.
120 miles later I had a CEL for the same code p0011 drove to the local dealer where I purchased the car. they ended up keeping it for a week and a half and could not recreate the code thus leaving me with a car that had a CEL issue with no one wiling to try to fix something and was given back to me without anything being done to it other than the tech driving the shit out of it.

Had the vehicle back for all of 12hrs and threw the p0011 code again don't understand how the dealer couldn't recreate the issue but I managed it no problem. cleared the code at a buddies shop to take the car for a run and ended up throwing the code within 10 minutes of clearing it.

Took it back to the dealer an told them I want something done its no longer my problem fucking fix, that its total bullshit I was told everything was fine and threw the code again without anything being worked on or fixed. I was also informed the car had thrown codes before the dealer took possession of the car and had it delivered to me. thus ticking me off further.

the most recent up date consists of the dealer having the car for the last 2 1/2 weeks and parts due for delivery this coming Tuesday 12/18/2012 the parts that I am waiting on are new right cam shaft gears even though everything is mechanically functioning and leading me to believe that it is an electronic issue and am need of a reflash/new ecu not mechanical parts. im hoping for the sake of the service department that the issue is resolved and that I no longer throw codes after the new camshaft gear is put in.

im located in San Antonio/Boerne Texas have 6,xxx miles on the vehicle and will supply the vin when I get the car back as well as an update also it as the auto/triptronic transmission in it. I drive the vehicle like it was designed to be driven and followed the break in procedures to the t. Toyota of Boerne is handling the work on the car.

I drive the shit out of this car..

as much of a pain in the ass it is the positive is that im not paying a damn dime for any of this.

hopefully will have an update for yall soon if I can be added to the list id appreciate it

sorry for the long post just hoping to further inform yall as well as anyone else in my position

Did you have any idle issues with the car? How was it running when the code came on??

So are you saying the first time you took it in the dealer just reset to code and sent you on your way? Crazy. And you are right, no reason to pay for the repair and you should expect to have a new car that is CEL free..nothing less..or call Toyota for a refund!!!!
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 10:48 AM   #2347
hankster

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I've had my BRZ for 2 weeks now. Vin in the 604000 range so one of the later builds. Only odd idle issue I've noticed is that when I come to a quick stop the idle will over shoot as it drops and go to 500 then right up to the 600 RPMs. There is a slight roughness of the engine at 500. During gradual stops, idle just drops to 600.

Anyone notice this ??
Yup, started noticing in the past month or two (had it about 5.5 months) that when I come to a quick stop rpms drop to 400-500 then bounces right back up to 600-700. Doesn't seem to happen with more gradual stops.

Hope it's not a sign of problems to come. I'm kind of dreading my first oil change.
hankster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2348
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
Did you have any idle issues with the car? How was it running when the code came on??

So are you saying the first time you took it in the dealer just reset to code and sent you on your way? Crazy. And you are right, no reason to pay for the repair and you should expect to have a new car that is CEL free..nothing less..or call Toyota for a refund!!!!
yeah San Marcos had no idea what the code even meant and I got to point him in the direction of this and since they had no clue what it was I said clear it ill take it elsewhere... I have not had any backfire/idle issues whatsoever in the car but when the CEL goes on it just goes into limp mode. Before it came on though it was running fine. Toyota of Boerne is being very helpful and not giving me any grief, Toyota technical is whats holding the process up to my understanding and parts delivery is just slow.. if this doesn't fix ill be going the replace buyback route I know its a first model year and they have a lot of kinks to work out but when the car spends more time in the shop than it does with me behind the wheel its ridiculous.
rant over
Old 12-15-2012, 12:17 PM   #2349
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FT86Dubai View Post
I wish it was a quick fix, I kind of cant understand why they need to replace the ecu rather than just reflashing it!

@tuckdaddy

when my dash lit up, i hooked it up with dash command app on iphone. Got error code p0017 concerning crank sensor and it gave the option to delete the code. I decided to not to delete the code to prevent the dealer from saying that all is well and nothing is wrong with the car.
oh I deleted knowing that I could throw it again and is logged at Toyota as being read and cleared on the vehicles history. I've got some great service reps here in Boerne but I knew id be throwing it again and pretty quick. ill have to look into that app though and get a cord for the phone or a code reader at that.
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #2350
FT86Dubai

Drives: 2013 Toyota 86
yeah it is a good app, I use the kiwi PLX OBDII connecter to wifi. You can then connect to it through the phones wifi.
tuckdaddy (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #2351
tuckdaddy
Because Racecar

Garage
thanks for the info on that!

also this is my 86th post!
The Following User Says Thank You to tuckdaddy For This Useful Post:
FT86Dubai (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:22 AM   #2352
ebphoto

Drives: FR-S, NA8, S13
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
have had the hunting idle issue for a while now.
have had the car stutter and instantly stall twice.
car stuttered today after spirited driving. once it was turned back on the CEL was on with the slip light on as well.

ebphoto, FR-S, ~7700mi, FL

code p0017

Last edited by ebphoto; 12-16-2012 at 11:34 AM.
ebphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ebphoto For This Useful Post:
eurospeed (12-17-2012)