follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 07-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #1
Ray B.

Drives: Slow
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thumbs up Leftover 2019

Hi everyone,
I have been a fan of the BRZ since they first came out. I came close to buying one a couple of times over the years but never managed to pull the trigger. First time around I ended up with a 2012 wrx, then in 2017, I ended up with a GTI. I kick myself for never having driven one yet!

Anyway the time has come to either put some money into the VW or trade up and I came across a 19 limited with PP and manual of course for the right price. What kind of financing is Subaru offering on the leftover new vehicles? How is it as a daily, real world gas mileage? How about the comfort?

Thanks all!
Ray B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #2
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B. View Post
Hi everyone,

I have been a fan of the BRZ since they first came out. I came close to buying one a couple of times over the years but never managed to pull the trigger. First time around I ended up with a 2012 wrx, then in 2017, I ended up with a GTI. I kick myself for never having driven one yet!

Anyway the time has come to either put some money into the VW or trade up and I came across a 19 limited with PP and manual of course for the right price. What kind of financing is Subaru offering on the leftover new vehicles? How is it as a daily, real world gas mileage? How about the comfort?

Thanks all!
I would hold off for the new gen that's coming out next year. Honestly for me i wish i had bought back a mk7 gti instead of the brz. BRZ is king of handling out of all the the cars I've owned but most days when i want want power and comfort it's not here. I own a 2016. These cars rattle a lot when daily driving. If this is a weekend warrior by all means do it (again wait for that fa24 tho).

Pros for me:
Wheels and tires make a huge difference.
Handles amazing on the twisties.
Shift is great with some modifications (kinda of a toss compared to a diesel geek ss in a gti)
Mods are endless.
Honestly it breaks necks.

Cons for me (which are not a lot)
Lacks power even with a header and tune.
Noise box everything rattles.

These are all my opinions. So take it with a grain of salt.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joveen For This Useful Post:
Lantanafrs2 (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Ask Subaru what deals they have not a forum. Different regions and dealers can have different deals.
AnalogMan (07-11-2020), g e (07-11-2020), soundman98 (07-11-2020), Spuds (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joveen View Post
I would hold off for the new gen that's coming out next year. Honestly for me i wish i had bought back a mk7 gti instead of the brz. BRZ is king of handling out of all the the cars I've owned but most days when i want want power and comfort it's not here. I own a 2016. These cars rattle a lot when daily driving. If this is a weekend warrior by all means do it (again wait for that fa24 tho).

Pros for me:
Wheels and tires make a huge difference.
Handles amazing on the twisties.
Shift is great with some modifications (kinda of a toss compared to a diesel geek ss in a gti)
Mods are endless.
Honestly it breaks necks.

Cons for me (which are not a lot)
Lacks power even with a header and tune.
Noise box everything rattles.

These are all my opinions. So take it with a grain of salt.

Hold out for what next gen? The one that may or may not show up at all? The one that nobody knows a single real detail about?
It could pay off big or you could be making the mistake of your car buying life. Major crap shoot at this point in time.
If the deal is good buy. If not then wait for the right one to come along but waiting for a total unknown is a gamble.
AnalogMan (07-11-2020), DarkPira7e (07-11-2020), ElijahF (07-17-2020), soundman98 (07-11-2020), Spuds (07-11-2020), TylerLieberman (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:00 PM   #5
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Hold out for what next gen? The one that may or may not show up at all? The one that nobody knows a single real detail about?
It could pay off big or you could be making the mistake of your car buying life. Major crap shoot at this point in time.
If the deal is good buy. If not then wait for the right one to come along but waiting for a total unknown is a gamble.
This. Waiting is absolutely stupid considering we know absolutely nothing about the next gen. Everything about it is purely speculation right now.

I still laugh at the people back in 2014 and 2015 who kept saying to wait for 2016, then 2017 for the inevitable power increase and update that never really came. Instead, all they got were 5hp and a final drive change along with some bumpers lol. And while I believe the 2017+ is the better car, to think that people waited 2-3yrs thinking they would get a radical change and were left with minimal changes just shows that waiting doesn't always pay off.

There will ALWAYS be something bigger and better to come along. You can spend the rest of your life waiting only to be disappointed.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (07-11-2020), ElijahF (07-17-2020), Ohio Enthusiast (07-11-2020), soundman98 (07-11-2020), Spuds (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 04:05 PM   #6
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks all!
Depends on credit. Check Subaru website, then with your credit union and compare rates. I average like 24mpg, driving 99% city streets and being pretty nice, with the occasional pull from 1st to 3rd/4th gear. Comfort is ok but definitely a noticeable step down from a GTI. VW spent more of their money in the interior comfort and quality. Toyota/Subaru spent more on chassis development. Everything is a compromise.

If you lilke it, buy one now. With regards to the new model coming (IF it comes), worst case scenario is you end up liking it more than the one you just bought. I would still recommend waiting 1-2yrs at that point to let the bugs get sorted before buying a new model. Meaning if you bought a 19-20 now, and the new car came in fall of next year, the earliest you would look at trading to the updated model would be like fall/winter of 2023.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:10 PM   #7
Seiryuu

Drives: ZC6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Compared to the BRZ, the GTi wins in every practical category you can name. Gas mileage, HP/torque, comfort, NVH, practicality... as it should since it was designed to be an all-rounder. However, the BRZ outshines it in the one aspect you buy the car for - driving fun. If I have the means, I would keep both as they are very different cars.
Seiryuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:35 PM   #8
Joveen

Drives: Bone stock
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I agree to a degree. GTI's are fun cars to drive. The torque alone is what makes it fun.

Joveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:49 PM   #9
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,430 Times in 6,146 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
To answer OPs other questions...

Real world mileage differs by how you drive even more so that what you drive. I have a heavy foot, so I get about 24-26 mpg around town. If you are gentle like you are driving with grandma in the car, it's usually over 30.

Reliability is actually pretty good for me at least. I only have 45000 miles on my 2013 but no issues at all so far. Plenty of folks well over 100k with no issues either.

It will be less comfortable than a gti for sure and the rear seats only work if you chop off people's legs first. It would be pretty tight even then. If you are concerned about comfort, stick to the gti.
Spuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 04:55 PM   #10
motosteveo

Drives: 2013 WRB 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I am still loving my 2013 since day one! 80k miles and 1 valve spring recall later, I've never had to do more than scheduled maintenance. Okay, spark plugs are annoyingly short-lived... I have averaged 29.3 mpg lifetime.

The BRZ is the most fun you can have in a car. Coming from a GTI, you're going to love the handling with -~250lbs and a much lower/more balanced car. The BRZ is efficient and comfy too, and I love it for a daily. Agreed with @Joveen that you can't beat it on looks. Yes, the GTI is the most practical car ever, but fold the backseat down in the BRZ and you can get a full set of track wheels+tires in there. Did I mention having a backseat is the best?
motosteveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 05:52 PM   #11
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Hi everyone,

Thanks all!
i daily'd mine for 2 years before i had the space for a secondary vehicle that took over daily duties. the main reason i wanted something else was to preserve the car a little from getting parked out in the sun all day to bake during the summer, and also to get away from the salt/corrosion issues of the winter. i love driving it.

it's tight to get groceries in, but can be done. it's not very friendly for going out with friends in one car, but you didn't need those bums anyways. going camping for a weekend is a game of tetris. the trunk fills up faster than a 'hungry' sorority/diva girl at a barbecue. it's comfy to sleep in on long road trips, at least until people start knocking on the windows.

oh, and i average somewhere around 20-22mpg according to the readout, which considering how i drive, is an incredible achievement of modern mechanics... my last car, a 3.0 v6 eclipse averaged around 9-10mpg under similar conditions.
Old 07-11-2020, 05:59 PM   #12
g e

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I had a GTI MK6 and it was fun and practical but the BRZ is a lot more fun and fairly practical too. I could easily find the suspension limits of the GTI with spirited suburban driving. But never with the BRZ

I’ve driven half a million VW miles and I got tired of the maintenance experience. The GTI had some drivetrain issues at 55,000 miles. That was the last straw after a lifetime of sensors and irritating issues.

When I had my wife’s Subaru in for its interval maintenance, the finance guy presented a nice deal on the BRZ. This was a car that often sold for $3-$5 thousand above retail in that first year.

My 2013 has been a good runner. No engine recall for it. I did get door gasketscreplaced under wArranty and I did have a catastrophic throw out bearing failure. They made a production change on that part and shouldn’t affect 2019 cars

Mileage is usually 24 suburban. But as little as 19 an as much as 34 on the freewY.

I like to get off the line quickly and goose it around turns and keep revs where the car is more responsive. Mileage isn’t the reason I bought the car .... If it was 16 city21 hiway id probably pass. That kept me out of a Legacy Spec B when I got the GTI instead.
g e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:14 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by g e View Post
...Mileage is usually 24 suburban..
seems a little high. my mom's surburban gets about 5mpg when i drive, and 15-18 when she does.
g e (07-11-2020)
Old 07-11-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,012 Times in 338 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Financing - as Tcoat said, ask the dealer, but Subaru seems to be offering 0% of most cars right now.

Comfort - depends on your age. I find it much more comfortable than a Miata, and have taken mine on several 500+ mile drives (and I'm in my 60's). But if you want luxury/plush, this isn't it.

Gas mileage - comparable to other small 4 cylinder car, but if fuel economy is an important priority for you, you probably shouldn't be buying a BRZ/86. There are less expensive cars available that get better mileage.

As a daily driver - if your location of 'NH' means New Hampshire, think about the winters in your neck of the woods. With dedicated snow tires it would probably be OK, but not the optimal choice compared to FWD or AWD.

Whether or not to wait for the 'next gen' - as Tcoat said, don't hold your breath. You might have noticed that there's a global coronavirus pandemic going on. All economic bets are off. The next gen car might never happen. If it does, it might be substantially delayed. If it ever does come, it might not be something you like.

I was in a similar situation last year, before the pandemic - buy one of the remaining BRZs now, or wait for the next gen? For me, I liked the current car very much, and knew I would enjoy it (and am, tremendously). I didn't want to lose out on the chance to buy one of the last remaining new BRZ's, only to find out that the next gen car was delayed, or never going to happen, or was something I didn't like as much as the current car. IF the next gen car ever actually happens, if I like it so much more than my current car, I'll buy it (these are not expensive cars).

But I doubt that will happen. I'm having plenty of fun with my 2019. If you've found a new leftover 2019, it's probably one of the last new ones left (production has stopped). You can probably get a great deal on it.

So it's actually pretty simple: if you like it, go for it.
AnalogMan is offline   Reply With Quote