follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-26-2020, 04:35 AM   #29
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
For cheap performance I made typical power to a full aftermarket 2.5" catless UEL header and exhaust with the OEM exhaust with the cats punched out.

The most important part is the tuner and tuning software.

Ecutek worked well for me, as for your tuner, well, there was only one place that I was happy to take my Subaru's due to years of experience in building and racing.

90% of people who say they can tune are below average.

You will pay a premium for expertise, but I feel the additional cost is cheap insurance.

Or, drop some real coin and get a little boost, but you gotta risk it for the biscuit.

Shop smart

Have fun
Shop S Mart
86MLR (06-26-2020), soundman98 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 04:52 AM   #30
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Shop S Mart
This town is only big enough for one asshole, and that asshole is me.
86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 86MLR For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-26-2020), Tcoat (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 06:11 AM   #31
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86MLR View Post
This town is only big enough for one asshole, and that asshole is me.
86MLR (06-26-2020), soundman98 (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 09:39 AM   #32
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41kart View Post
Hi!
I am new to the FR-S world. I have owned Honda Civics, Eclipses, Pick up trucks, and Mustangs. I really like the looks of the FRS/BRZ/86. This is not my daily driver and I am looking to do some mods. As of now my FR-S is stock and I am wanting some opinions on top 5 mods I should do right now. I really enjoy going to car shows and showing my car and hanging with my son and friends. Also can I get some ideas on websites to make purchases for the mods? I really appreciate all the help!
This is a nice upgrade
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 12:16 PM   #33
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
The dude abides!!
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
humfrz (06-26-2020)
Old 06-26-2020, 01:52 PM   #34
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by obscene_gesture View Post
I think it will depend on what kind of mods appeal to you. Are you into performance mods, cosmetic mods, sound systems, etc? Something to do with your son?

If you've got a stock '13, you might want to change out that headunit.

It is often said that the the most important peformance upgrade you can make are new tires. Which tires will depend on what characteristics you're interested in.

A lot of owners in this forum will tell you to change out the exhaust header to address the torque dip. If you don't care about emissions and live in a state that isn't going to fail your care come inspection time, that seems like an easy mod. Don't forget to get a tune though.

The stock headlights on the '13s aren't the prettiest, and you could change them out for some aftermarkets for an LED or HID look.

Speaking of the headunit, is that a direct plug & play exchange with the non-touch screen unit?
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 04:41 PM   #35
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 41kart View Post
Hi!
I am new to the FR-S world. I have owned Honda Civics, Eclipses, Pick up trucks, and Mustangs. I really like the looks of the FRS/BRZ/86. This is not my daily driver and I am looking to do some mods. As of now my FR-S is stock and I am wanting some opinions on top 5 mods I should do right now. I really enjoy going to car shows and showing my car and hanging with my son and friends. Also can I get some ideas on websites to make purchases for the mods? I really appreciate all the help!
So I'll just tell you what I've done since I've had mine,but ultimately,it depends on your end goals for the vehicle.

First thing I did was get wider wheels. The stock wheels look like trash to me,plus,I don't like how easy it is to break the rear end loose.

Got a Raceseng Ashiko weighted shift knob. I LOVE this thing. going from stock to a good weighted shift knob makes going through the gears a joy. I can't even imagine if/when I put a Kartboy short throw shifter in with it.

More cosmetic,but I added a TRD style trunk spoiler. I think without a spoiler or lip,the cars back end looks incomplete.

Recently got a HKS Hi Power spec II catback exhaust and a Grimmspeed CAI. Butt dyno feels a definite reduction in the torque dip,plus the sound of the exhaust isn't obnoxious.

Other stuff is tints,carbon fiber roof wrap,and smoked Valenti tail lights.

I'm not going for show car,nor track car. I just wanted something more than stock that's a little more fun to drive and is looks more interesting than stock. Probably the last things that I'll do is the aforementioned short shifter and headers & tune.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:14 PM   #36
JesseG

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBRZ2 View Post
Just to supplement what TCoat noted, I personally felt a difference specifically around the torque dip. As TCoat mentioned, you can probably get just as much or more of a benefit from tuning the car. I however did not go that route as I didn’t want to be kicking myself in the rare off chance something would go wrong and the dealership won’t cover it because of my tune. For the OP, a tune would likely do more, I just wanted to say Howe much I like the header. Nothing drastic but it did make a correction. I haven’t nor intend to dyno my car but below is Ann image from their sight of the impact of the header without a tune.

https://images.jbautosports.com/imag...a7uchk05exssug

Ultimately I would like to at least reduce the torque dip (it honestly doesn’t even bother me that much), and add a nicer exhaust note in the process. Stock it’s just too quiet. But I don’t want anything obnoxious or with drone. So I planned on just getting the TRD catback and leaving the rest alone. I also have the TRD intake (I know I know it doesn’t add any power), but at least I can hear some induction noise. And of course I ditched the sound tube a long time ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JesseG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
AlexBRZ2 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 02:51 PM   #37
pallen

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseG View Post
Ultimately I would like to at least reduce the torque dip (it honestly doesn’t even bother me that much), and add a nicer exhaust note in the process. Stock it’s just too quiet. But I don’t want anything obnoxious or with drone. So I planned on just getting the TRD catback and leaving the rest alone. I also have the TRD intake (I know I know it doesn’t add any power), but at least I can hear some induction noise. And of course I ditched the sound tube a long time ago.

I'm actually wanting to go the other way. My car came with a Borla axle-back. It has a nice low rumble sound, but is just louder than I would prefer. I like the stock sound. If your stock muffler is in good shape, I could make you a great deal on a swap.
pallen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pallen For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-30-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 09:43 PM   #38
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

If you want to hear induction noise, why did you ditch the sound tube?

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:07 PM   #39
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by pallen View Post
I'm actually wanting to go the other way. My car came with a Borla axle-back. It has a nice low rumble sound, but is just louder than I would prefer. I like the stock sound. If your stock muffler is in good shape, I could make you a great deal on a swap.

I’m interested for sure! I will send you a PM. And my stock exhaust is in great condition. My FRS has been a California and Texas car, so no salt.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:12 PM   #40
JesseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
If you want to hear induction noise, why did you ditch the sound tube?

I didn’t like the way the sound tube sounded. I know it’s real induction noise, not fake like some cars. It just sounded weird.
The TRD intake sounds good, but not too loud.

The Following User Says Thank You to JesseG For This Useful Post:
humfrz (07-01-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 09:28 PM   #41
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Fresh Mods

Quote:
I didn’t like the way the sound tube sounded. I know it’s real induction noise, not fake like some cars. It just sounded weird.
The TRD intake sounds good, but not too loud.

A lot of us don’t like the sound tube. I think the twins’ version was just not done well. The diaphragm that gets excited by the intake resonance is plastic, and the tube going to the firewall is too long and too small in diameter to allow lower frequencies to travel through it efficiently.

This is BMW’s version from the 2006 Z4:
The diaphragm is metallic, excites way better. The tube is fat and short. This thing sounds glorious. It howls.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 06-30-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
JesseG (06-30-2020)
Old 06-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #42
JesseG

Yeah the version used on the FRS/BRZ just has a weird resonance, I can see what they were going for. I would always prefer to just hear the intake. Actually, the F20 or F22 with ITB’s beats pretty much anything. Why can’t we have an engine like that in the twins?! (I know, it could never pass current emissions)