follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
sprintamx

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztan View Post
For those of you who have changed the fuel pump, also check the gasket installation: there is an outer flange that points downward and the gasket should be inserted into the tank rim before the pump assembly is put in. If the pump + gasket are inserted together and squished down, the gasket flange is likely to flip and not seal.
How do you hold and install the gasket in the tank opening before inserting the pump canister? Use of the silicone lube mentioned?

Thanks.

Last edited by sprintamx; 11-12-2015 at 01:01 PM.
sprintamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #16
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintamx View Post
How do you hold and install the gasket in the tank opening before inserting the pump canister? Use of the silicone lube mentioned?

Thanks.
Slide gasket off pump canister and seat that into the tank lip with fingers first making sure the gasket seats. After that putting the canister in is easy.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #17
sprintamx

Quote:
Slide gasket off pump canister and seat that into the tank lip with fingers first making sure the gasket seats. After that putting the canister in is easy.
Is the gasket likely to get pushed down into the tank? Is it advisable to use some type of lubrication between the gasket and the canister?

And thank you for the diagram!

Aaron
Old 11-12-2015, 03:18 PM   #18
sprintamx

Quote:
Also, in the diagram you posted, the "OK" image shows the gasket fully covering the lip of the threaded tank opening. So, I want to make sure that the gasket is evenly seated ON the lip and be careful when installing the canister and threading the locking ring not to twist or pinch the gasket off the lip, right?

This looks like one of those fiddly things that is all too easy to mess up.

Thanks again.
Old 11-17-2015, 10:56 PM   #19
ztan

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Quote:
This looks like one of those fiddly things that is all too easy to mess up.
I'd be surprised if anyone manages to drop the gasket into the tank, but is is pretty large and easy to fish out if you do.

This one is not fiddly at all and rather difficult to mess up.
ztan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 06:38 AM   #20
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:

Thanks.
Dont use silicone sealant , you want silicone lubricant or similar to stop gasket catching and let lock ring turn freely
Attached Images

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 02:09 PM   #21
sprintamx

Got the gaskets, reviewed the service manual and the posts here (thanks guys!) and set to work. The service manual reads as if you're supposed to put the new gasket on the canister assembly before reinserting it into the tank, but then provides a description and diagram for "lubing" the inside of the gasket with gasoline while the gasket is inserted in the tank; meaning that the gasket goes first, then seat the canister.

Anyway, I seated the gasket first then fitted the canister, lubed up the locking ring plate and got the job done. All seems well at the moment and we'll see with the next fill-up whether I screwed something up.

Thanks again for the hand-holding.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:23 AM   #22
FRS Johnny

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by zkv476 View Post
Make sure the fuel lock ring is tightened down all the way. It's pretty tough to tighten. Mine did the same until I realized it was a whole thread too loose. Seemed tight until I checked and tried to tap it tighter. I'm assuming you guys with this issue have changed the fp? If not then it may be a warranty issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TxFrs10 View Post
The Fuel lock ring was the answer to my woes. I thought I tightened it down as hard as possible after initial install. When I went back to double check it was easy enough to turn by hand. Thanks zkv476!
I have the same issue and want to check it tomorrow.
Is the Fuel Lock Ring inside or outside the car?
Old 07-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #23
peaches

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Just so you don't have to hunt for it: 42025CA001
peaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:56 PM   #24
po35042

Drives: Monogram FR-S MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
dielectric grease for spark plug boots works well for lubing the gasket too
po35042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:58 PM   #25
devtec

Drives: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Just want to reiterate the importance of seating the pump gasket properly before placing the canister and tightening the lock ring.

Replaced my fuel pump last weekend, and was marveling at how easy the whole thing was. Took less than 45 mins going slow. Only difficulty was placing the canister back in the tank, and A LOT of hammering to get the lock ring tight with all the markers lined up.

Turns out I was left with a pretty significant leak after filling up the tank. I took things apart again and tried to reseat the gasket and canister, but this time with the tank full... BIG MISTAKE, as fuel was overflowing everywhere!! Thinking wow this is not good as tried to force that bastard back in... Fuel splashing up in my face. Wow, not safe at all! Got through it and car was driveable, but still with a small leak.

Found this thread, and can confirm that YOU HAVE to separate the gasket, seat it first around the fuel tank inlet, then drop the canister in. This time, the canister dropped in like nothing, and I was able to easily and smoothly tighten the lock ring with much less hammering. Markers also lined up much more easily.

Found one side of the inner lip of the gasket was shredded/broken off from my first time around doing it wrong.

Holding seal now, but new gasket is on order...

Funny thing... when I was replacing pump first time around keeping things all neat and OCD, my 9yr old boy walked up to the car (despite my yelling at him to stay back) and said:

"Daddy, is that toilet in the back of the car?" Hahaha...
devtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 11:29 PM   #26
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,518 Times in 18,920 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
"Daddy, is that toilet in the back of the car?" Hahaha...
That's an astute observation. It does look like a toilet. He's a smart little guy.
Old 10-07-2022, 09:40 AM   #27
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 2004 WRX STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Ug I fell victim to this stupid gasket as well after installing the Verus Engineering Fuel Starvation Door. I've removed and reseated the gasket 3+ times (with similar fuel spilling everywhere issues as devtec). I thought I got it seated correctly the last time after hammering the lock ring back in place, but I filled up last night and woke up to a small puddle of fuel on the garage floor. I've ordered two new gaskets to give it a go again, although between now and when they arrive I'll need to try to lower the fuel level in the tank to stop the leaking.

This damn gasket/fuel pump setup is pretty poorly designed - with the sprung fuel canister and tight clearances, it's pretty cumbersome. With the new gasket, I'll try to seat it in the fuel tank first before dropping in the pump canister, but when I tried it last time with the original gasket, I couldn't get the angle right with the fuel level float.
weepel is offline   Reply With Quote