follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-09-2020, 07:37 PM   #15
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefire98 View Post
That's funny you mentioned the 86 is plenty practical enough unless you're a musician. I am one and that's actually why I bought mine over a miata. My qualifications were to be able to haul all of my gear plus one person. No miata could really do that for me, maybe with a trunk rack but that's asking for theft imo. Fold the seats down and I can fit my amp, pedalboard, couple guitars, and some of the drummer's equipment (and the drummer!). Don't get me wrong, I'd kill to make it a hatch, even a normal sedan would work better. But it *just* works for me, and it's super fun and cheap to drive. If I played drums tho, I'd get a different car lol
Definitely not ideal, but you can make it work for sure. I've done some decent hauling myself in my 86; managed basically 8 wheels in the back. Don't ask me how, it just worked.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Bluefire98 (10-09-2020)
Old 10-09-2020, 07:41 PM   #16
Bluefire98

Drives: 2015 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Definitely not ideal, but you can make it work for sure. I've done some decent hauling myself in my 86; managed basically 8 wheels in the back. Don't ask me how, it just worked.
I had to do that once too lol. Really it's not so much the amount of space, but how accessible it is. Hatches are just so nice to have
Bluefire98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 11:59 PM   #17
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Still reading through the thread, but was this the *new* CTR? I heard they made some changes to the suspension at least.
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 12:12 AM   #18
Hades

Quote:
With all of that said, the power is nice to have, I will admit, but it does not equate to a greater experience entirely, power gets old. Those people that get into this car thinking it's crazy fast and it's so quick from 0-60, 'nothing can beat me' kind of attitude will be sorely mistaken when a real AWD monster shows up (ie. Trackhawk as an absurd example) and eats them for a morning snack; the ethos of the CTR is in line with the 86, but on a quicker, faster, and more serious note. Not enough people seem to know this.
Interesting. I never thought of it this way. Everybody I know who has/had a CTR is a big fanboi of the car and think it's faster than a corvette. This definitely puts things into a different light.

I can see what you're saying regarding oversteer, but personally, I find RWD oversteer *much* more satisfying than the more lift-off/turn-in oversteer of FWD. But I can definitely see where that could be fun, and with all the other advantages the CTR has I can see it being an extremely fun DD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
Ohio Enthusiast (10-11-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:31 AM   #19
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Still reading through the thread, but was this the *new* CTR? I heard they made some changes to the suspension at least.
2020 they made the changes, mine is 2019. The biggest one being the brake rotors are now two piece. All other changes I would consider rather minor. Bushings, radiator, grille opening etc.

Quote:
Interesting. I never thought of it this way. Everybody I know who has/had a CTR is a big fanboi of the car and think it's faster than a corvette. This definitely puts things into a different light.

I can see what you're saying regarding oversteer, but personally, I find RWD oversteer *much* more satisfying than the more lift-off/turn-in oversteer of FWD. But I can definitely see where that could be fun, and with all the other advantages the CTR has I can see it being an extremely fun DD.
A lot, and I mean a lot of CTR owners really just have no idea about the world of cars or what they're even driving, they only understand hype and clout. They all very quickly transition away from it to get to the next biggest hype car. Its staggering the amount of people who were putting their CTR up for sale pre/early covid, ones where ownership wasn't even a year..

The CTR can be tail happy, in the right conditions, it usually requires not so DD safe speeds though. RWD will almost always be more fun on the streets and if the goal is to have longer sustainable slides.
Hades (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 02:56 AM   #20
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
2020 they made the changes, mine is 2019. The biggest one being the brake rotors are now two piece. All other changes I would consider rather minor. Bushings, radiator, grille opening etc.

A lot, and I mean a lot of CTR owners really just have no idea about the world of cars or what they're even driving, they only understand hype and clout. They all very quickly transition away from it to get to the next biggest hype car. Its staggering the amount of people who were putting their CTR up for sale pre/early covid, ones where ownership wasn't even a year..

The CTR can be tail happy, in the right conditions, it usually requires not so DD safe speeds though. RWD will almost always be more fun on the streets and if the goal is to have longer sustainable slides.

Sounds like a blast at the track

You should take it if you haven't!

Regardless, great perspective from a down-to-earth CTR owner.
Jordanwolf (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 05:39 AM   #21
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
Sounds like a blast at the track

You should take it if you haven't!

Regardless, great perspective from a down-to-earth CTR owner.
For legal reasons we shall say that I haven't. Car barely gets driven, not even a mile a week. /s

Hades (10-10-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 11:04 PM   #22
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Drives: 2013 pearl white FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Great write-up. I just sold my frs becos the motor feels like a ticking time bomb after the recall work. TOB also went out a couple thousand miles earlier. looking into the type R cos I want to go back to honda reliability (owned a modded accord for 15 years with minimal issues)
DarkSideFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 11:12 PM   #23
Hades

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSideFRS View Post
Great write-up. I just sold my frs becos the motor feels like a ticking time bomb after the recall work.

How does your motor "feel like a ticking time bomb"??
Old 10-10-2020, 11:31 PM   #24
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Rougher idle..and rpm dips at idle sometimes... My car never did that before... And sounds different, esp when I go to a drive thru... I have another week with the car before it gets picked up, so I hope the motor doesn't blow up
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSideFRS For This Useful Post:
Hades (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 10:11 AM   #25
Hades

Quote:
Rougher idle..and rpm dips at idle sometimes... My car never did that before... And sounds different, esp when I go to a drive thru... I have another week with the car before it gets picked up, so I hope the motor doesn't blow up
Ouch! That's no bueno. This recall repair looks hit or miss, some dealers just don't have the expertise to do it it seems.
Jordanwolf (10-11-2020)
Old 10-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #26
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Garage
Quote:
I would say that it's a good thing you decided to part with it as it seems it's mostly a negative experience for you now.

If you hop into a CTR as I know you've been eyeballing it, it's going to be a nice place to sit, but weigh your options, you're going from one relatively fun and sometimes serious car to another fun but even more serious car.

You will want to break laws in the quest of speed.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:57 PM   #27
gixxer

Drives: 2020 CTR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I had a 2017 CTR and sold it mainly due to the gear crunch. I've driven manual cars for 25 years and the 2nd gear got worst over time and happens within every tank of gas. I currently have a 2020 type r and never had any gear crunch issues.
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #28
DarkSideFRS
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer View Post
I had a 2017 CTR and sold it mainly due to the gear crunch. I've driven manual cars for 25 years and the 2nd gear got worst over time and happens within every tank of gas. I currently have a 2020 type r and never had any gear crunch issues.
How does the suspension feel in the 2020? As well as the brakes?