follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-03-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
juenedgi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ with PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Wiring for Valenti 4th Brake Light with 2017-2020 Stock Taillights

Hi all,
I wanted to write this up for future reference for those who have a Valenti 4th brake light. I am also writing this up for 2017-2020 stock taillights. The car used is a 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with performance package. I wanted to have the 4th brake light look OEM and these were as close as I can get them.

Also, this wiring is for U.S. cars. Not sure if other countries have similar wiring.

I purchased this 4th brake light: https://www.ftspeed.com/part/htyf86r...6#.Yfx5yPXMK3I

Although it says OLM, the lens says 'Valenti.'

I purchased this custom harness as I didn't want to tap into the taillights and to have a cleaner wiring situation:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...5-921671f52593

If you just wanted to tap into your taillights, that will work as well. Should still be the same connections.

I decided I didn't want the flashes when the brake light is pressed so I soldered mine as Version 3 from this video:

So the light comes with 4 wires: red wire by itself and black, light blue, and green in one harness. You will need to unpin the light blue wire to tap into the taillights.

Once I soldered it, I tested it out by connecting the following wires:
Light blue wire to PARK.
Red Wire to BRAKE.
No wire to GROUND.
Black and green wire will plug and play to reverse harness.

Here's what it looks like with soldering for Version 3 from the vid:

No lights (to show what 4th brake light looks like with stock taillights):

Parking lights on:

Brake (no flash):

Reverse lights:

This diagram helped in making sure I made the correct connections.

Not sure if this is the similar procedure for 2013-2016 stock taillights or even aftermarket taillights with Valentis or other 4th brake light, but feel free to chime in for what worked for you. Have fun!
juenedgi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to juenedgi For This Useful Post:
Drifter X (02-04-2022)

Tags
4th brake light, valenti, valenti 4th brake light, wiring