follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 08-06-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
twodollarcuts

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
"Video Resolution Not Supported" - What do you use to encode?

Hi all! I've been trying to get videos to work on my stock head unit but it seems to tell me that the video resolutions I have are not supported. There has been one video that worked out of about 5. All videos I've used are either MP4 or AVI files. The one file that worked was an AVI file has a resolution of 624x352. The other videos I tried don't exceed the 720x480 that the nav manual says is supported and are sometimes smaller than the 624x352 video. Any ideas on how to make the videos work?
twodollarcuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
Isometric Bacon

Drives: GTS
Sorry to bump an old thread, but anyone else having this issue?

Thought I'd put the episode of Top Gear that shows the 86 on my head unit for shits and giggles, but am getting the same issues as twodollarcuts describes above...
Isometric Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 06:44 PM   #3
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 2004 WRX STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
MP4 Encoding

Hey guys,

After a lot of trial and error, here's what I found:

The unit will pretty much support any AVI/DiVX format, at least anything I could throw at it. Bad news is AVI/DivX is a deprecated/obsolete format and doesn't offer a lot of the features that MPEG/MP4 can (eg Chapters, muxing subtitles, variable framerate, compression). For more info, check out this link about HandBrake ditching DivX Support.

So to get working videos on my unit, I used the following with success:

Format: MP4 file
Video Code: MPEG-4 (ffmpeg)
Framerate (FPS): 25 (PAL Film/Video)
Picture: 720 x 384 or 640 x 352 (depending on source)
Audio: MP3 (lame)
Mixdown: Stereo
Sample rate: Auto
Bitrate: 160

Generally speaking, the video standards that the stock head unit support are a bit dated - circa 2010. Some important lessons learned:
- Make sure to set your framerate. Even if you have the right resolution, but too fast a framerate, the unit will throw an error stating "Video resolution not Supported"
- Don't try and use H.264 as your video codec. I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt it'll work.
- My settings were going great until I tried to encode a copy of my DVD "Superbad" For whatever reason, the head unit couldn't handle the audio in either MP3 or AC3 formats. After some tinkering (10 attempts), I found that it worked fine using AAC (ffmpeg)
- Read the Forester/Impreza/BRZ/XV Crosstrek Navigation System Manuel- specifically page 259 for MP4 standards

I used HandBrake 0.9.9 for all of my encoding. I tried using DVDx to create an AVI but it hung for me, so I just stuck to MP4/M4Vs.

Good luck! Also, thanks for the tip regarding the episode of TopGear on the Toyota 86- that was one of the first videos that I used to encode

Last edited by weepel; 09-18-2013 at 06:58 PM. Reason: mistyped M4V as MV4
weepel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to weepel For This Useful Post:
gdrider77 (09-25-2013), rokius (02-10-2014), tdotBRZ (11-26-2014)
Old 02-02-2014, 09:36 PM   #4
yue

Drives: Nissan Juke
For those of you using Linux, the following command will transcode an mp4 video to make it play on the stock head unit (where ${VID} is the name of your video file):

ffmpeg -i ${VID}.mp4 -vcodec mpeg4 -r 30 -sameq -vf scale=720:480 -acodec copy ${VID}-brz.mp4

Have fun.
yue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #5
Sportster

Drives: '14 BRZ
Sorry for bumping an old thread, figured it was better then starting a new one.

I've tried your setting in Handbrake, but still can not get any videos to play in my BRZ. I've tried different variations of your suggested settings all say "Video Resolution Not Supported". Isn't the PAL format the European standard? We use NTSC here in the states.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by weepel View Post
Hey guys,

After a lot of trial and error, here's what I found:

The unit will pretty much support any AVI/DiVX format, at least anything I could throw at it. Bad news is AVI/DivX is a deprecated/obsolete format and doesn't offer a lot of the features that MPEG/MP4 can (eg Chapters, muxing subtitles, variable framerate, compression). For more info, check out this link about HandBrake ditching DivX Support.

So to get working videos on my unit, I used the following with success:

Format: MP4 file
Video Code: MPEG-4 (ffmpeg)
Framerate (FPS): 25 (PAL Film/Video)
Picture: 720 x 384 or 640 x 352 (depending on source)
Audio: MP3 (lame)
Mixdown: Stereo
Sample rate: Auto
Bitrate: 160

Generally speaking, the video standards that the stock head unit support are a bit dated - circa 2010. Some important lessons learned:
- Make sure to set your framerate. Even if you have the right resolution, but too fast a framerate, the unit will throw an error stating "Video resolution not Supported"
- Don't try and use H.264 as your video codec. I haven't tried it yet, but I doubt it'll work.
- My settings were going great until I tried to encode a copy of my DVD "Superbad" For whatever reason, the head unit couldn't handle the audio in either MP3 or AC3 formats. After some tinkering (10 attempts), I found that it worked fine using AAC (ffmpeg)
- Read the Forester/Impreza/BRZ/XV Crosstrek Navigation System Manuel- specifically page 259 for MP4 standards

I used HandBrake 0.9.9 for all of my encoding. I tried using DVDx to create an AVI but it hung for me, so I just stuck to MP4/M4Vs.

Good luck! Also, thanks for the tip regarding the episode of TopGear on the Toyota 86- that was one of the first videos that I used to encode
Sportster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:33 AM   #6
weepel
Dr. Fünke, Analrapist

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 2004 WRX STI
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
PAL vs NTSC

Hey sportster,

Apologies for the delay, I've been absent from the forums this past month.

In handbrake, "PAL" just refers to the lower 25fps framerate, wheras NTSC is 29.976fps. You can try using the higher frame rate of NTSC, but I believe this did not work for me when I tried.

What is the original format of the media you're trying to convert? Have you tried using different media (maybe your original has a weird aspect ratio)? I successfully converted two AVIs and one MP4 with the settings mentioned above. If you send me the specs (or ideally the actual file) of the original you're trying to convert I can give it a go on my end and see if I can figure out where it's going wrong.
weepel is offline   Reply With Quote