follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #1
007BRZ

Drives: 2017 BRZ Yellow Spec Ed 1of500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
2017 BRZ Install Kenwood DNX893S

After 4.5 years with my 2013 BRZ Limited, I pre-ordered the first 2017 Yellow Edition and realized that I hated the Headset.
1. I wanted: Garmin Navigation, so the unit had to be a Kenwood
2. Sirius XM
3. Appleplay
4. USB all other
5. Work with my Steering wheel controls
6. Bluetooth, and phone
7. CD/DVD (Perhaps)
8. Overcome the stupid BRZ Trapezoidal Shaped headset

After talking to Crutchfield, I got a Kenwood top of the line DNX893S and all the things they said was necessary. XM Kit, Harnesses, idatalink unit and TOI cables. and the side spacer kit since the BRZ rectangular opening is about an inch wider, etc.
Well, everything is now installed using a 2016 BRZ two piece dash trim, EXCEPT some of the Steering wheel functions, DUE TO THE FACT THAT idatalink HAS NOT MADE THEM AVAILABLE WITH A NEW "FLASH" This means the headset has to be totally pulled out to re-flash the idatalink black box when the flash is ready

I highly recommend you hire a Kenwood experienced installer, who has installed a DNX, and forget about what others have done here if you buy a Kenwood. I tried in vain to get the 28 PIN layout from Subaru, since diagrams here are not correct (at least on my 2017 Yellow Special Edition).
You don't need the Sirius antenna from Crutchfield, the Subaru one works fine. Had to use the Kenwood Mic mounted above clipped where the windshield meets the head liner material actually don't really notice it, Could not figure the wiring for the OEM Microphone. Had to run a new line to the rear camera, since the 28 PIN harness lines could not be identified and since it's 6 VOLTS did not want to blow anything up.
Put the two USB connectors into the glove compartment so things can be hidden.
I totally LOVE IT!! and definitely worth the few hundred dollars to not have the install aggravation. I'm sure it will become easier, when we get to know really where everything is in the wiring harnesses, but bottom line everything works, and waiting for the idatalink updated "flash" to be 100%
I am going to have my two dash trims leather covered with yellow stitching or painted yellow, but ok for now they actually perfectly match all my trim now. Here are some photos
Attached Images

007BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 007BRZ For This Useful Post:
improvius (07-08-2017)
Old 08-10-2017, 03:40 AM   #2
jslack

Drives: 2017 Red subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I Just got the 6903 kenwood and the Idatalink maestro RR and am going to have it installed in a few weeks on my 2017 brz. Waiting to see how they do, Did you have to get the 28 pin plug in to have them work on it then? I'm slowly getting all my adapters together for the installers and wasn't sure if I would need the 28 pin adapter. You can get a Drok 12 to 6 volt converter cheap on amazon to use with the stock back up camera. Really hoping Idatalink has the newest flash for the unit.
jslack is offline   Reply With Quote