follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-15-2016, 09:49 PM   #1
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
smart access retrofit from brz to frs

I tried using the search and didnt find anything on this topic so I thought i'd ask. I know there are third party smart access/pushbutton set up, but I'm actually looking to retrofit the smart access goods from the brz limited (and sport tech here in canada) into my frs. Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with what parts are required so I thought I'd ask if anyone can give me some insight on this matter. Thank you!
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #2
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Probably cheaper to buy a Brz. Cant imagine it is as simple as changing out the door handles and installing a starter push button. Probably integrates into the ECU, instrument panel maybe and other things.
Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:12 PM   #3
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Train View Post
I tried using the search and didnt find anything on this topic so I thought i'd ask. I know there are third party smart access/pushbutton set up, but I'm actually looking to retrofit the smart access goods from the brz limited (and sport tech here in canada) into my frs. Unfortunately, I'm not all that familiar with what parts are required so I thought I'd ask if anyone can give me some insight on this matter. Thank you!
your better off going with the aftermarket option. I can't remember the brand now but for like $800 or w/e it was you get a push button as well as a new door handle with the button in it (and its paint matched so thats a bonus) I believe it also comes with remote start.
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 11:22 PM   #4
Silent_Dan

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
your better off going with the aftermarket option. I can't remember the brand now but for like $800 or w/e it was you get a push button as well as a new door handle with the button in it (and its paint matched so thats a bonus) I believe it also comes with remote start.
I believe the Ez Go system is what you was thinking of.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/EasyGO-AM-FRS-D4S-Remote-System-Drivers/dp/B00BYV6Q7U"]Amazon.com: EasyGO AM-FRS-D4S Smart Key Remote Start and Alarm System with Raven Driver's Door Handle for Scion FR-S: Automotive[/ame]
Silent_Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Silent_Dan For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (02-16-2016)
Old 02-15-2016, 11:23 PM   #5
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Yea an OEM-like retrofit would probably be a pain in the ass. The BRZ has multiple sensors on the inside and outside to detect the key. Wiring that up + the door handles + the trunk release would probably be a bitch :\
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #6
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Advanced key(s?) Also had a system I will be installing soon. Install didn't look THAT hard. Advanced keys doesn't use a new door handle.
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 10:58 AM   #7
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashikabi View Post
Advanced key(s?) Also had a system I will be installing soon. Install didn't look THAT hard. Advanced keys doesn't use a new door handle.
aftermarket ones are far easier to install as you just tap into existing wiring, OEM would mean completely rewiring the car
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:18 PM   #8
Train

Drives: 2016 Halo FR-S AT
Thanks for quick response guys. I actually have a donor car and wanted to use the existing parts there. As for the actual hardware itself I actually prefer the touch sensitive handles which is why id like to go for the oem retrofitting instead.

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk
Train is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:08 PM   #9
Maafeu

Drives: 2020+ Toyota FRZ
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hey Guys,

Not sure if this is still a thing that people are looking to do, but heads up when @Irace86 said that "Cant imagine it is as simple as changing out the door handles and installing a starter push button"

They're completely right.

I've been looking at the many options available in getting this installed for my car (Advance Keys, EasyGo, even universal ones) and for some odd reason the companies are just non existent. I was looking into the OEM option but damn....it's a task.

Some people seem to believe that because the BRZ, 86, and FRS all look the same externally and relatively the same internally that it's plug and play, but remember your car doesn't had that said feature, so ECU, BCM, and Wiring (completely) would have to change. Not to mention, the Key Barrel and Door Handle.

Just a BRIEF overview of the task, but there are 4 sensors in the car that respond to the key access, one located in behind the rear bumper one in between the seats under the center console in the back, one in behind the push button piece, and the last one in the trunk roof area. Getting those MAY be easy, but then you have to remember the harness to hook all them up which requires replacing the main harnesses, you need to get specific ones (and automatic and manual do matter for some parts). Trunk button would need to be changed, as well as the trunk harness, and a hole drilled out (or trunk garnish swapped) to allow the button to be visible.

Then there's the touch sense door Handles, this would require you to basically swap your door harness completely, the handle has a 4 pin wire trailing from the door handle that goes into the main door harness and due to the fact that your main dash harness doesn't have the wires to your push button start, that would need to be swapped as well. This is the MAIN DASH HARNESS, there are quite a few connections on this piece alone. Although you would gain extra features like the Heated seats, and Dual Climate control function with that harness (other parts would still be needed). With the main Dash harness replaced, you would then need to get a harness called the BLK Harness which joins the main dash haness to the engine harness and Fuse Box in the engine bay. Note: because the main dash harness was replaced your blower motor transistor on your AC will not work as the connection pin layout are completely different. So doing single climate, you'll need to change some servo motors on the AC unit. If you want to go dual, you'll be diving deeper and replacing the entire AC unit from under the dash. That would require removing the Dash bar from within the car and lowering your steering wheel column.

At this point you're basically changing every main harness in your car to have this function, as well as key main components. Let's not forget because you went from a FR-S to BRZ, your headlights will need to be swapped as well. Even when that's all completed, you'll have solenoids and Assembly units that will need to be swapped. Unless you flash your ECU, SMT ECU (smart ecu) and BCM with the right Template, you'll need to find online someone selling the the units all together and most likely with a keyfob as well to ensure the correct programming to those units. Last but not least, you'll need to swap your immoblizer antenna on the steering wheel column where your key barrel usually is when starting the engine using the conventional key. That alone comes with a number of parts.

Having a Donor car would be BEST, as some of the parts if bought from SUBARU, or TOYOTA (depending on which harnesses you found) are quite expensive. we're talking hundreds, and some parts, over a thousand. Find the main dash harness used and online, that part alone from the dealer is over 3K.

If you were wanting to be heroic with your car in shambles you can tackle the dual climate control and heated seats function, as the main dash harness includes the connections for those devices as well.

There's all that.....or just getting a car that has it already. The choice is yours.

Last edited by Maafeu; 05-18-2022 at 03:00 AM.
Maafeu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maafeu For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (08-06-2021)