follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-02-2018, 01:42 PM   #197
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
I like to cling to the unlikely hope they can offer a new motor.
Not gonna happen... it would be exponentially more expensive for them to replace the engine than to replace the valve springs. They aren't going to be paying for a bunch of 5 year old cars to get entirely new engines because of bad valve springs. That would be saying that you hope they'll install a new transmission because your shift knob fell off.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 02:01 PM   #198
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
aw.... Well at this point Im probably going to just deal with it for a while and risk it. Maybe later if I see some leakage or a research a dealership that is known for competent work then I may take it in.

The comment from Ermax detailed what sort of work is involved with replacing the springs certainly made me nervous though.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #199
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
There are tools available that act in lieu of compressors for removing/installing valve springs. They are useful especially when there is a bucket bore to be dealt with.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:05 PM   #200
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Drain oil and coolant, evacuate the AC, pull the engine, remove the accessories, pull the manifold, remove the harnesses and coolant lines, remove the timing cover and clean up all the packing material, pull the timing chains, remove the valve covers and clean the packing, remove the cam subassemblies and clean the packing, remove the heads and clean the surfaces, replace the springs, put it back together and reapply the packing for the cam subassemblies, check the valve clearance, pull it back apart and clean the packing again, replace shims and then reapply the packing, reapply packing for the valve covers, reinstall the timing chains, reapply packing and install timing cover, install accessories, reinstall the engine, recharge the AC, refill oil and coolant.

I'm recalling off the top of my head and obviously leaving out a lot of detail. But it's a lot of work.

On an inline 4 you could do this job without pulling the engine, removing accessories or cleaning up packing seal that is used all over the place. When I replaced my short block I spent at least 10 hours (spread over 2 weeks) simply cleaning packing seal off the pans, cam assemblies, cam endplate, HP fuel pump and timing cover.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
DandoX (11-02-2018), Trap63 (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:10 PM   #201
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
There are tools available that act in lieu of compressors for removing/installing valve springs. They are useful especially when there is a bucket bore to be dealt with.
I've been trying to think of how you could make a tool that compresses the spring while also keeping the valve fully closed without having the head off. I've never seen such a tool. Do you have any links to a tool like this? I'm really curious how this could be done.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:29 PM   #202
KL

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
So if you're confirmed to have this recall done at a Subaru dealership, is there anything else you would recommend doing at the same time, either in the way of preventative maintenance or mods, while they've got the heads/timing cover/whatever apart replacing the valve springs? If I'm gonna have this work done for free, I wouldn't mind chipping in another few hours of labour out of pocket if there's a benefit to be had.

For context, I'm at 100k km on the BRZ, spark plugs already done 6k ago (dammit).

Thoughts?
KL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:39 PM   #203
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
I've been trying to think of how you could make a tool that compresses the spring while also keeping the valve fully closed without having the head off. I've never seen such a tool. Do you have any links to a tool like this? I'm really curious how this could be done.
Use a leak down fitting and pump air into cylinder.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lantanafrs2 For This Useful Post:
ermax (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 03:43 PM   #204
nico_rsx

Drives: BRZ 2017 Pure Red, MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandoX View Post
The comment from Ermax detailed what sort of work is involved with replacing the springs certainly made me nervous though.

I would take that with a grain of salt. He also said I could see the IAM value(Ignition advance multiplier) with Techstream, but turns out that's absolutely not the case. 40$ for nothing...
nico_rsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 03:47 PM   #205
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL View Post
So if you're confirmed to have this recall done at a Subaru dealership, is there anything else you would recommend doing at the same time, either in the way of preventative maintenance or mods, while they've got the heads/timing cover/whatever apart replacing the valve springs? If I'm gonna have this work done for free, I wouldn't mind chipping in another few hours of labour out of pocket if there's a benefit to be had.

For context, I'm at 100k km on the BRZ, spark plugs already done 6k ago (dammit).

Thoughts?

This crossed my mind as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
It has priests in it?
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:03 PM   #206
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nico_rsx View Post
I would take that with a grain of salt. He also said I could see the IAM value(Ignition advance multiplier) with Techstream, but turns out that's absolutely not the case. 40$ for nothing...
You absolutely can data log IAM in Techstream.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:05 PM   #207
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
Use a leak down fitting and pump air into cylinder.
That would keep the valve from dropping but still not sure how you would get it compressed. Lets just say there is a way to replace the springs without pulling the head, your hardly saving time. The only steps you would be saving would be unbolting the heads and then cleaning up the head surface which is fairly insignificant in comparison to the rest of the job. You can't get to the springs until the cams come off.

Last edited by ermax; 11-02-2018 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:25 PM   #208
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Checked last night, my car is affected.
Quote:
Description
The valve springs located inside the engine of the affected vehicles may fracture, which may cause an abnormal noise or engine malfunction. In the worst case, this may result in the engine stalling during driving and the inability to restart the vehicle. An engine stall during driving could increase the risk of a crash.

Remedy
Toyota is currently preparing the remedy for this condition. When the remedy becomes available, Toyota dealers will replace the engine valve springs with new ones of an improved design FREE OF CHARGE.
They actually did the all caps on the "free of charge" thing themselves.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2018, 04:37 PM   #209
EXCellR8
FR-S Driver (MT)

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Garage
Going to check my VIN tonight but my guess is I'm in for the recall... which sucks.

How did they discover this though btw? I guess I'd like to know how likely it would be that there is actually an issue w/ springs. Like, was this tested and/or confirmed under normal driving conditions or was someone ripping up the 'ring while it happened?

I only read the first 6 or 7 pages of this thread.
Old 11-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #210
PWBRZ

Drives: 2013 BRZ 6MT
Well, I’m in the date range - will check VIN later. Hmmm time for a 718 Cayman engine swap
Of course just kidding...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PWBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote