follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #1
Rabrooks

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
New cam grind?

I have a spare set of cams. Does anyone know if a cam grinder can create a higher lift cam from my stock set? I want to port the heads but I want to be able to take advantage of the better flow with either a higher lift or a longer duration.

Can someone share where I can fi d out the cam specs static and also at full vvt advance.
Thanks
Rabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
higher lift or longer duration would both mean more material on the cam, not less, so a grinders not going to help. i don't think one can just add material to a cam, as it's a hardened surface.

i think you're going to need new cams for the purpose.
Old 08-22-2021, 10:42 PM   #3
Turdinator
Seņor Member

Drives: 86 GT/'74 TA22 Celica/Kangaroo
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
higher lift or longer duration would both mean more material on the cam, not less, so a grinders not going to help. i don't think one can just add material to a cam, as it's a hardened surface.

i think you're going to need new cams for the purpose.
They can grind them such that the base circle is smaller so that the relative lift is greater. You the use bigger shims under the followers to make up the difference. I don't know if it works for our engines specifically but its not uncommon in older motors. You can also weld on extra material to the lobes and grind them to a spec. You get better geometry this way but of course if its not done well you have risks to the camshaft integrity.
@Rabrooks no one really fucks with cams on these motors as going FI is better bang for the buck. Personally I'd love to throw some cams on an FA20 and see what happens but I just don't have that kind of disposable cash at the moment. If you do I say go for it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Turdinator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:15 PM   #4
Rabrooks

Drives: 2020 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turdinator View Post
They can grind them such that the base circle is smaller so that the relative lift is greater. You the use bigger shims under the followers to make up the difference. I don't know if it works for our engines specifically but its not uncommon in older motors. You can also weld on extra material to the lobes and grind them to a spec. You get better geometry this way but of course if its not done well you have risks to the camshaft integrity.
@Rabrooks no one really fucks with cams on these motors as going FI is better bang for the buck. Personally I'd love to throw some cams on an FA20 and see what happens but I just don't have that kind of disposable cash at the moment. If you do I say go for it.
Well, I have the spare cams. I believe what you say about welding on hardened surface and grinding to a new shape or height. I think its time to contact a few cam grinders to get their thoughts. I want to stay NA. So I need to benefit from more inlet via higher valve opening.
Rabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote