follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
Olson1288

Drives: 2014 DGM BRZ Turbo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Supercharger whine too loud??

So I just finished up installing the Kraftwerks kit on my BRZ Today. Upon initial startup, the whine was extremely loud (the car was in a garage) so I figured it was mostly just because it was inside. However, even after driving around casually outside it still just seems almost excessively loud.

First thought was my belt is too tight, but I confirmed the tension and that checks out fine. I suppose I'm just not used to the noise? I've never owned or been around a supercharged car so I'm not too familiar with how exactly it should sound. I feel like I can't even drive around normally without being almost annoyed by this noise right now lol.

Perhaps it will die down a bit after the "break-in" period or after the belt wears in a bit? Guess I'm just being a pansy
Olson1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:56 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
A Rotrex should not whine at all. Make sure your fluid lines are not reversed.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:57 PM   #3
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You should hear it but it shouldn't be super loud - how did priming of the supercharger go? Oil pumping ok? Might want to give KW a call and see what they say.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 06:57 PM   #4
Olson1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A Rotrex should not whine at all. Make sure your fluid lines are not reversed.
I think the lines coming off the oil cooler may possibly be reversed. I just found out that the paper instructions that came with my kit had the oil cooler inlet and outlet marked opposite of what they actually are. I had Kraftwerks email me a PDF of the latest revision and it’s the same oil cooler but marked differently on the new instructions. They are still sending kits out with outdated instructions and improperly labeled components..
The Following User Says Thank You to Olson1288 For This Useful Post:
Bonburner (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #5
Olson1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
You should hear it but it shouldn't be super loud - how did priming of the supercharger go? Oil pumping ok? Might want to give KW a call and see what they say.
Priming actually went pretty good. I had oil coming out of both the in and out banjo fittings so I know the blower is getting oil, however I do think the oil cooler lines may be improperly routed due to the instructions they gave me.
Old 10-23-2018, 08:36 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson1288 View Post
I think the lines coming off the oil cooler may possibly be reversed. I just found out that the paper instructions that came with my kit had the oil cooler inlet and outlet marked opposite of what they actually are. I had Kraftwerks email me a PDF of the latest revision and it’s the same oil cooler but marked differently on the new instructions. They are still sending kits out with outdated instructions and improperly labeled components..
If the lines were reversed, you will need a new supercharger; your current one will fail shortly. I recommend you document the improper instructions.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:35 PM   #7
Olson1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If the lines were reversed, you will need a new supercharger; your current one will fail shortly. I recommend you document the improper instructions.
I’m really hoping that’s not the case, but you may be right.. I know there is oil in the system because I had it bleed out of each fitting on the blower during the priming process. Just hoping it’s not too late. I’m going to fix the hoses tomorrow and see what happens.

I know for sure that the supercharger is working, it’s just very whiney. No sort of metallic or grinding type noises. Really don’t want to have to rip all this stuff off again 😪
Old 10-24-2018, 02:19 AM   #8
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Did you buy used?
I really hope not. That would explain a lot.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:00 AM   #9
Olson1288

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Did you buy used?
I really hope not. That would explain a lot.
Nope. This is an entirely brand new kit. I’m going to double check everything in the morning and take a cold start video. If I can’t figure it out then I’ll be hitting up Kraftwerks because it’s looking like it may be a faulty Rotrex..
Old 10-24-2018, 06:37 AM   #10
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olson1288 View Post
Nope. This is an entirely brand new kit. I’m going to double check everything in the morning and take a cold start video. If I can’t figure it out then I’ll be hitting up Kraftwerks because it’s looking like it may be a faulty Rotrex..
Well it wouldn't. Be the first time Rotrex had a faulty supercharger.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #11
Olson1288

Alright, so I went out and double checked everything. It seems all the oil lines are actually correct to begin with, the diagram in the instructions was just a little deceiving because it's showing a view looking from the back of the car out, if that makes sense.

Below is a video of today's cold start. Initial idle ~1500 rpm is pretty loud to me.. it does relax a bit after the idle dip but still it's fairly loud when driving. I've triple checked every line, pipe, hose, clamp, etc and everything seems fine. It's hard to actually depict if the sound is the supercharger or the pulley system, but I don't think the belt wound sound like that.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MutK1RuCx4[/ame]

Any thoughts?? Thank you to the ones responding.
Old 10-24-2018, 03:35 PM   #12
Wpomp

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That sounds just like my system does. I've always thought it sounded louder than it should considering people say rotrex's should be "silent", but its always been that way. I have replaced my supercharger, as my first one actually got WAY louder, to the point it couldn't be run with the hood open without causing ear pain. But the new replacement unit (And the first one) both have a similar level of whine as yours when operating. First unit lasted 2 years until I sent it off, new one has been on since June, always with that sound.
Just my experience. If someone comes and says that what the video shows is wrong, then guess I have had an issue for 2.5 years *shrug*. Seems to be working fine for me though. Good luck!

Also, move/secure that hose next to your right most pulley, problem waiting to happen!
Wpomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 03:44 PM   #13
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpomp View Post
That sounds just like my system does. I've always thought it sounded louder than it should considering people say rotrex's should be "silent", but its always been that way. I have replaced my supercharger, as my first one actually got WAY louder, to the point it couldn't be run with the hood open without causing ear pain. But the new replacement unit (And the first one) both have a similar level of whine as yours when operating. First unit lasted 2 years until I sent it off, new one has been on since June, always with that sound.
Just my experience. If someone comes and says that what the video shows is wrong, then guess I have had an issue for 2.5 years *shrug*. Seems to be working fine for me though. Good luck!

Also, move/secure that hose next to your right most pulley, problem waiting to happen!
Rotrexes are indeed quiet. It's that belt system that is whining.

Here's a video with a Jackson Racing supercharger, which uses an identical Rotrex unit. Note that you hear the engine like a stock car, and don't hear the SC or belt whine at all. This is how a supercharger system should be.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r7EgQGxA4g[/ame]
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
Wpomp (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 03:56 PM   #14
Wpomp

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
That would definitely be refreshing if my car was that quiet. But if that's the case, and the whine is inherent in the design of the kraftwerks pulley system, most of our kits should have a similar whine. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case, having looked at the pulleys the tolerances they have for the bearing bores on the pulleys is really wide so I've seen pulley wobble on both my 20 and 30mm wide kits. However, When my first supercharger unit got so loud I needed to replace it, the first step we took in diagnosing the problem was switching from 20mm to 30mm belt kit, and the noise did not change at all. So if it was ALL belt system with the KW kit, I would have expected at least a noticeable difference in upgrading to the different belts.
Perhaps the KW kit is causing the rotrex to sound whiney by loading it incorrectly or restraining it on the plate in such a way that is is bending or inducing load where it shouldn't.
Not sure, but just some thoughts. Don't think its only the belts per my experience.
Wpomp is offline   Reply With Quote