follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 04-12-2022, 02:58 PM   #925
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
I emailed KPower yesterday asking for an update and they said they were going to do a partial shipment that is everything but the oil pan, which they said they were also waiting on from their fabricator. I suppose that is fortunate.

Hopefully the extra time spent on the oil pan you won't have to drill for the dipstick.....
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
RedReplicant (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 03:02 PM   #926
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,213 Times in 516 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
Hopefully the extra time spent on the oil pan you won't have to drill for the dipstick.....
Thank you for reminding me about that, I'll add it to my list of notes lol
Old 04-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #927
funkjaw

Drives: 16' WWB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Pretty sure I have no voltage going to the coils. I’ll check the fuses. Maybe something went. If it is not that then I’m assuming it is something on Haltech’s end. Thanks.
Did you get your car running again?
funkjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2022, 10:57 PM   #928
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjaw View Post
Did you get your car running again?
Yes, see my build. The fuse was switched by accident, so the coils weren't getting power.
funkjaw (04-15-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 11:44 PM   #929
funkjaw

Quote:
If the T off the passenger side hose goes to the thermostat side it should work the same as my setup. I'm not sure how you would route the hose to the other side of the block but I'm sure it's doable.
Issue still fixed 100%? Curious if this is something everyone needs to do... wondering if Kpower will just allow us to exchange the included coolant necks with their miata coolant neck..
Old 04-15-2022, 12:00 AM   #930
funkjaw

For NVH... one thing I did was buy a fluidampr harmonic balancer.

Any other tips and tricks people might be able to think about? Dynomat in specific places maybe like bell housing, trans tunnel?
Old 04-15-2022, 09:03 AM   #931
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Issue still fixed 100%? Curious if this is something everyone needs to do... wondering if Kpower will just allow us to exchange the included coolant necks with their miata coolant neck..

Haven't had an issue since I added the second line. I can't recall how many miles since I changed it out but I've run two autocross events as well without a hitch.
Old 04-15-2022, 09:06 AM   #932
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
For NVH... one thing I did was buy a fluidampr harmonic balancer.

Any other tips and tricks people might be able to think about? Dynomat in specific places maybe like bell housing, trans tunnel?

I'm pretty sure Irace has a lot of sound deadening in his car and was still having issues.

I'm still planning to take the shortened stock shifter and have it welded. I think isolating the shifter from the trans tunnel will help with most of your NVH while in motion.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #933
Irace86.2.0

Did you guys see this…Kpower’s NA build and TunedByShawn:
Attached Images

captain awesome (04-15-2022), kevaughan (04-20-2022), NoHaveMSG (04-15-2022), Wally86 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:20 AM   #934
captain awesome
Wears Pants

I've been impatiently waiting for those results along with another fellas that should be posted Tuesday afternoon from the same dyno. Just about to send off my head but still on the fence about what cams I want to run. Either RR3 from 4 Piston or the Drag Cartel 4s.

Hopefully I can get the bottom end machine work done and get it all assembled for dyno by July, but I know that's probably a tall ask. I'd be happy with close to 290 on e85. Curious what they got on pump though.

Also good to see they used Shawn. Should make my tune way easier I would think.
Irace86.2.0 (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:49 AM   #935
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
I've been impatiently waiting for those results along with another fellas that should be posted Tuesday afternoon from the same dyno. Just about to send off my head but still on the fence about what cams I want to run. Either RR3 from 4 Piston or the Drag Cartel 4s.

Hopefully I can get the bottom end machine work done and get it all assembled for dyno by July, but I know that's probably a tall ask. I'd be happy with close to 290 on e85. Curious what they got on pump though.

Also good to see they used Shawn. Should make my tune way easier I would think.
Yeah, that should be a sweet NA build man. I'm looking forward to see your results.

I have been super happy with Shawn. His flow through the software is super fast, and he seems very knowledgable. His website and system for progressing through the tuning process is very organized, transparent and professional. You won't be disappointed. Moreover, he was able to use previous tunes and data points on my car from a recent K24 that put down near 500whp. My tune feels really smooth now. It has only been a few days and poor weather, so I don't have a lot of road time, but my preliminary, anecdotal impressions are that idle and smoothness around town is really improved. I believe he cleaned up some stuff at the end of our session that made a difference, and perhaps it benefitted from previous cars. I think you could expect similar benefits.
captain awesome (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 11:53 AM   #936
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Yeah, that should be a sweet NA build man. I'm looking forward to see your results.

I have been super happy with Shawn. His flow through the software is super fast, and he seems very knowledgable. His website and system for progressing through the tuning process is very organized, transparent and professional. You won't be disappointed. Moreover, he was able to use previous tunes and data points on my car from a recent K24 that put down near 500whp. My tune feels really smooth now. It has only been a few days and poor weather, so I don't have a lot of road time, but my preliminary, anecdotal impressions are that idle and smoothness around town is really improved. I believe he cleaned up some stuff at the end of our session that made a difference, and perhaps it benefitted from previous cars. I think you could expect similar benefits.

That's awesome. I think there are some tweaks that could be done to my current tune that would be beneficial. As much as I'd like to do that it seems silly to spend that much on a tune that will only be used for a few more months when I switch the block out though. I'd also like to dyno as is and then see how things shake out with the added compression, cams, and ported head.
Old 04-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #937
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
That's awesome. I think there are some tweaks that could be done to my current tune that would be beneficial. As much as I'd like to do that it seems silly to spend that much on a tune that will only be used for a few more months when I switch the block out though. I'd also like to dyno as is and then see how things shake out with the added compression, cams, and ported head.
Contact Shawn if you haven't already. He picks up his cell or returns calls super fast. He might be able to offer a dyno session with a future revision for a package deal. It might help him out too to have a stock tune and his revisions to show future customers the benefits of doing a dyno tune with him on a stock Kpower setup, and then with your modifications, same dyno/same tuner, the benefits of the 4Piston setup.

EDIT: I just talked to him, and he said small revisions come at an hourly rate, so for instance, if I switch to a return fuel system then he would just bill me at an hourly rate, and I mentioned your setup, and he said since there are significant changes in cam profile, vtec, compression, head flow characteristics, etc between your two engines, he would bill the second motor at half price, so I think if you did a tune plus the flex fuel package now, and then the second motor would be a $250 revision--something like that he said. You could just wait, but if you are curious then it essentially wouldn't cost you more than some time and $250 + dyno time costs, which isn't terrible. I'm also assuming you aren't using your flex fuel yet, and if that is the case then at least you can use flex fuel now.
captain awesome (04-15-2022)
Old 04-15-2022, 01:29 PM   #938
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
Contact Shawn if you haven't already. He picks up his cell or returns calls super fast. He might be able to offer a dyno session with a future revision for a package deal. It might help him out too to have a stock tune and his revisions to show future customers the benefits of doing a dyno tune with him on a stock Kpower setup, and then with your modifications, same dyno/same tuner, the benefits of the 4Piston setup.

EDIT: I just talked to him, and he said small revisions come at an hourly rate, so for instance, if I switch to a return fuel system then he would just bill me at an hourly rate, and I mentioned your setup, and he said since there are significant changes in cam profile, vtec, compression, head flow characteristics, etc between your two engines, he would bill the second motor at half price, so I think if you did a tune plus the flex fuel package now, and then the second motor would be a $250 revision--something like that he said. You could just wait, but if you are curious then it essentially wouldn't cost you more than some time and $250 + dyno time costs, which isn't terrible. I'm also assuming you aren't using your flex fuel yet, and if that is the case then at least you can use flex fuel now.

I really appreciate you checking on that. I think that's definitely a better course of action that will at least show the merit behind the work. I'll reach out to him Monday and get the process started. I need to swap injectors before we tune, luckily Haltech has a simple process for updating those.
Irace86.2.0 (04-15-2022)