follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2019, 04:12 PM   #3529
Molez93
Scott M

Drives: '13 BRZ (DocWalt's old car)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm not much of an engineer, so please pardon my ignorance with this one... What popular replacement set-ups for rear lower control arms are STX legal? SPCs were on the car when I bought it, but I seem to recall concerns about evolving understanding about what's required to be legal. As in, mine apparently isn't, but I don't appreciate why.

Thx!

Last edited by Molez93; 03-01-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Molez93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 04:46 PM   #3530
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,470 Times in 4,993 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
I'm not much of an engineer, so please pardon my ignorance with this one... What popular replacement set-ups for rear lower control arms are STX legal? SPCs were on the car when I bought it, but I seem to recall concerns about evolving understanding about what's required to be legal. As in, mine apparently isn't, but I don't appreciate why.

Thx!
Read 14.8.B

The SPC bushing is not like OE, it is basically a ball joint encased in a poly material offering freer movement than OE. The short version of the rule is that if you change any bushing you can't increase the metal content of the bushing and you can't add any movement that wasn't in the OE bushing, the SPC arm violates both rules as it comes from the factory.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oBNUhrvA7wA[/ame]

The cheapest solution is to replace that joint with one similar to OE, $50 for Delrin ones from an autoxer, shouldn't be expensive to take the arms to a machine shop and get them pressed in, but I've heard they're noisy so you might be sacrificing some daily comfort.
https://diftech.com/products/street-...r-s-brz-445911

I'm not up on what's currently available and legal unfortunately if you're thinking of switching to another arm, I like the threaded adjusters way better than the cam bolts, you can make consistent changes with them without visiting an alignment rack. The billet arms don't squish down onto the swaybar endlink and damper and hub like the stamped steel arms do so you might get some small noises by switching to those.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #3531
Molez93
Scott M

I'm ok with spending a few hundred bucks and adding noise, especially if adding greater adjustment is still within the rule. Having read those rules multiple times, it seems like these linked below would be fine as long as the bushing meets the criteria you pointed out. Can you/anyone tell me if these are legal?

Maybe, looks like just a metal sleeve...
https://www.counterspacegarage.com/r...z-frs-gt86-wrx

Probably not because bushing "replacement" is all metal...
https://www.counterspacegarage.com/s...86-impreza-wrx
Old 03-01-2019, 05:35 PM   #3532
justinco
btr.life

Drives: 2022 GR86
Thanked 1,094 Times in 491 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm ok with spending a few hundred bucks and adding noise, especially if adding greater adjustment is still within the rule. Having read those rules multiple times, it seems like these linked below would be fine as long as the bushing meets the criteria you pointed out. Can you/anyone tell me if these are legal?

Your best bet is the DIF setup mentioned above. You can buy them ready to go in SPC LCA's at FRsport if you don't have access to a press/shop that can do it : https://frsport.com/dif-10595-adjust...uring-fr-s-brz
Old 03-01-2019, 05:42 PM   #3533
strat61caster
-

Quote:

The SPL is absolutely a no-go, as you say, all metal, it also spins and rotates, functions not in the OE part.

I'm not positive is RS-R is legal, looks good but I would have to measure and compare to OE to be sure.

When checking to see if someone had measured I found this thread and in it someone linked whiteline arms which are like the SPC's but with the correct type of bushing, there's also Velox that claims legality for a bit more money.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2927297

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/whit...l#.XHm0OqJKj0N

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.XHm0k6JKj0M
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Molez93 (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:44 PM   #3534
Molez93
Scott M

Also found a Whiteline option which I think I'd read others were using.
https://www.subispeed.com/2015-subar...6#.XHmz-qhOmyU

Without a picture and no easy access to my vehicle right now, I'm only guessing this is what's on mine now.
https://www.counterspacegarage.com/s...0-brz-frs-gt86

That SPC seems ok to my uninformed eye [edit: obviously this is the case, as that was the whole point you guys made about replacing the bushings], but I'm left to assume the problem lies in how that bushing/sleeve has more metal than allowed per the comment by @strat61caster above.

Last edited by Molez93; 03-01-2019 at 05:59 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molez93 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-01-2019)
Old 03-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #3535
Molez93
Scott M

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The SPL is absolutely a no-go, as you say, all metal, it also spins and rotates, functions not in the OE part.

I'm not positive is RS-R is legal, looks good but I would have to measure and compare to OE to be sure.

When checking to see if someone had measured I found this thread and in it someone linked whiteline arms which are like the SPC's but with the correct type of bushing, there's also Velox that claims legality for a bit more money.
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2927297

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/whit...l#.XHm0OqJKj0N

http://www.ft86speedfactory.com/velo...l#.XHm0k6JKj0M
Awesome. That LCA thread was perfect. Product links were quite helpful too- especially as my reply got out of sync.

Thanks so much!
Old 03-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #3536
Molez93
Scott M

One last post on this for now.
Should have watched that SPC bushing video earlier. Without doing so, I had zero chance of understanding what the problem truly was. Thanks for your patience.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molez93 For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (03-01-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 11:58 AM   #3537
Sononate

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Sorry if this has been covered already. I’ve been reading through this thread for a couple hours now and can’t quite find what I’m looking for. As I understand it, endlinks cannot be spherical in STX. I had Perrin front endlinks, but had to keep shaving the top end due to the upper bolt head rubbing a hole in the fender well. So the end link finally broke and I need a replacement before Dixie in another week. If I had to guess, the Perrin polyurethanes were not a good choice to pair with Bilstein coilovers. Any STX legal suggestions?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Sononate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #3538
CoolHandMoss

Drives: 2013 FRS
The whiteline end links are fairly popular. They work for me, though they are slightly too long. There is also the option to piece together your own with parts from McMaster Carr. These can be made to give you more clearance. User "Monkey" posted a list of part numbers for that somewhere. I will post it if I find it but you can search for it.
CoolHandMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CoolHandMoss For This Useful Post:
Sononate (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #3539
strat61caster
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sononate View Post
Sorry if this has been covered already. I’ve been reading through this thread for a couple hours now and can’t quite find what I’m looking for. As I understand it, endlinks cannot be spherical in STX. I had Perrin front endlinks, but had to keep shaving the top end due to the upper bolt head rubbing a hole in the fender well. So the end link finally broke and I need a replacement before Dixie in another week. If I had to guess, the Perrin polyurethanes were not a good choice to pair with Bilstein coilovers. Any STX legal suggestions?? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Actually the rules are open on end links:
14.7 "Bushing material, method of attachment, and locating points are unrestricted."
I also think the OE links are in fact spherical but that doesn't matter based on the rule above.

I found the standard whiteline endlinks suggested for this car to be a bit too long and a huge pain in the ass to change front swaybar settings, once torqued down properly they were good for a few months but end up loosening after awhile making noise. Lightly torqued they loosen after about a month, if not less. They also do rub on the fender with the Bilsteins, but they won't rub through, just enough to make clearance which may have already happened on your car. There's a shorter end link not specified for this car which is probably a better fit with the lowering that happens for most STX cars, someone posted it on this forum somewhere.

Whiteline will work fine though, I have Megan end links now which I like a bit better but the nuts they came with fell off so I'm using them with the lock-nuts that came on the Whitelines, I'm sure there's something better out there though. Racer-X look nice, I have their rear end links which I do like (and are real cheap), but I think the LCA I have from them might be creating a bit of noise and I'm (ironically) considering the whiteline LCA since the stamped steel will close up better on all the suspension bits.
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Sononate (03-09-2019)
Old 03-09-2019, 06:22 PM   #3540
Sononate

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
So, I’m guessing the rubbing is kinda standard with the Bilstein setup? Thanks a lot for the info, though. I’ll look into racer x and Megan. There’s also a set of SPL short endlinks ont ft86 speedfactory site. Any thoughts on those?
Sononate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 12:20 AM   #3541
strat61caster
-

SPL has a good reputation, up to you if they're worth almost 2x the price of the alternatives, but hey maybe they're worth it, idk, haven't seen anything that makes me think they're worth the extra money but with the unsatisfaction I've had so far maybe I'm just being a cheap bastard.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
Molez93 (03-10-2019), Sononate (03-10-2019)
Old 03-10-2019, 01:48 PM   #3542
Locust
Custom User Title

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S, 2012 OB Evo X MR
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Locust
I didn't realize the Perrin endlinks would cause issues on an STX car. Hmm.... I've been running those instead of Whiteline because my whiteline ended up seizing and I couldn't adjust the height of them anymore. They snapped when I tried to unseize them. The only problem I've had with the Perrin in D-Street spec is that the bolt eventually bores its way into the bushing and makes it impossible to keep them tight (causing loud clunking on turns). Guess I'll find out on my own later this year if they cause problems with my STX setup.

Instagram:
LocustAutoX
Sponsors:
DSGPerformance Drift Office Evil Apex Racing

Locust is offline   Reply With Quote