follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2022, 03:20 AM   #99
Blighty

Drives: WR Blue Pearl 2022 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Horse shit. Complete horse shit.
Sorry, the life of the 991.

"Across the life of the 991, Porsche says that on average, “less than ten per cent” were specced with a manual, despite the 991 offering the seven-speed stick-shift from day one, and charging around £1,700 to upgrade into the automatic. Of course, some models, like the 991.1 GT3, the Targa, the Turbo and the GT3 RS, were only available with PDK."

https://www.topgear.com/car-news/sup...che-sports-car
Blighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #100
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Horse shit. Complete horse shit.
Open your eyes. This is the way it’s going. As I said before it’s not a dig on the MT. The MT experience may be better but as usual in life there are compromises. A crappy auto from the 80s is not a compromise most can live with, but a great one like the PDK is, hence the numbers.

Not sure why everyone gets so bent on this, I believe manuals will be available as long as the ICE is available. Maybe not every model, but there will be one out there. Plus aftermarket will pick up where the factory fails if demand is there.

If I get a cayman, it will be a PDK because it just fits my life better, says nothing about whether an MT is a better experience, just a compromise I am willing to make. I hope you get yours in MT if that’s what you want.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
alan7467 (02-14-2022), PBR (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 11:40 AM   #101
CincyJohn

Drives: 2022 MT Neptune GR86 Prem.
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
Open your eyes. This is the way it’s going. As I said before it’s not a dig on the MT. The MT experience may be better but as usual in life there are compromises. A crappy auto from the 80s is not a compromise most can live with, but a great one like the PDK is, hence the numbers.

Not sure why everyone gets so bent on this, I believe manuals will be available as long as the ICE is available. Maybe not every model, but there will be one out there. Plus aftermarket will pick up where the factory fails if demand is there.

If I get a cayman, it will be a PDK because it just fits my life better, says nothing about whether an MT is a better experience, just a compromise I am willing to make. I hope you get yours in MT if that’s what you want.
I think you are missing the point. You clearly are not a “manual over everything” guy. That’s fine. But I believe MOST of the people that buy the GR86/BRZ in manual are.

Just out of curiosity, are your BRZ and WRX both manuals?
CincyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 01:27 PM   #102
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
From my perspective the Porsche (any Porsche) are probably bought simply for the prestige of owning a Porsche. Most are probably purchased with more thought weighted on the color and amenities than the gearbox. I doubt you would have a Porsche enthusiast say "I should have gotten an 86". The 86 is targeted by enthusiasts and those who have them know what they are buying.

The gearbox is mainly a preference and there are people who buy an AT because it's available at the time. Rarely do you see the other way around. To those people gearbox is not what defines their experience. If splitting fractions of a second defines the logic behind your choice you have to consider one thing. The documented times are for precision shifting and the average driver will never achieve those times. It shouldn't be about the numbers though. Anyone tracking their car will modify it anyway. On the street it shouldn't even be a concern. Next the question will be - Can you feel the difference between 91 and 93? Should I spend the money on Sunoco 116?

My point is our cars are awesome in any configuration and can stand up to cars twice the price. In a separate thread I talked about a Jag dealer drooling over my car and there was an F-Type on the lot two cars away. The salesman bumped elbows with the guy next to him and said THAT'S THE CAR!!! To this day that was still the best comment I ever had.
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 2020BRZtS For This Useful Post:
Blighty (02-13-2022), Ernest72 (02-13-2022), Ultramaroon (02-13-2022)
Old 02-13-2022, 05:09 PM   #103
Ernest72

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyJohn View Post
I think you are missing the point. You clearly are not a “manual over everything” guy. That’s fine. But I believe MOST of the people that buy the GR86/BRZ in manual are.

Just out of curiosity, are your BRZ and WRX both manuals?
Both autos because of the daily commute. Sure now that the WRX is over 18 years old and I really only use it in snow and on the weekends, I do wish it was manual. But I commuted in plenty of traffic for many years and I was glad it was auto. The BRZ is my DD for my long commute with traffic so auto it is.

These cars have been a blast to drive even in AT. Everyone who has given them test drive loves them too. It’s was a good compromise.

No points missed here. I get it, people love their MT, but that does not mean an AT is a bad option. I have seen it for more than 20 years on forums as MT guys get their panties all twisted if someone says anything good about an AT. Meanwhile the whole industry has left them behind with only a recent uptick in interest because the fear that MT is going away.

Think about it, because you like chocolate does that mean vanilla is no good.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:40 PM   #104
CincyJohn

Quote:
Both autos because of the daily commute.
WTF? That explains everything. You saying you would get a PDK over a manual - well of course you would -YOU ARE AN AUTO DRIVER.

Same thing with why you saying that half the current MT guys would ditch the manual in the BRZ/GR86 for a PDK was so far off. You don’t understand us because you aren’t one of us.

And for the record, I’ve never said anything about how “good” or “bad” the auto is in the twins. I wouldn’t know because I’ve never tried one, never will, and frankly don’t care. To go to your vanilla/chocolate analogy - I don’t care if you like vanilla - I’m not trying to convince you that my chocolate is better than your vanilla. All I can tell you is I personally hate vanilla and would only eat chocolate. Vanilla isn’t on a scale of good or bad to me - because it’s not a scale for me at all.

Last edited by CincyJohn; 02-13-2022 at 10:52 PM.
Old 02-13-2022, 10:49 PM   #105
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,520 Times in 18,921 Posts
Mentioned: 1107 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
They heinous cause they anus
Old 02-14-2022, 09:01 PM   #106
Ernest72

Quote:
WTF? That explains everything. You saying you would get a PDK over a manual - well of course you would -YOU ARE AN AUTO DRIVER.

Same thing with why you saying that half the current MT guys would ditch the manual in the BRZ/GR86 for a PDK was so far off. You don’t understand us because you aren’t one of us.

And for the record, I’ve never said anything about how “good” or “bad” the auto is in the twins. I wouldn’t know because I’ve never tried one, never will, and frankly don’t care. To go to your vanilla/chocolate analogy - I don’t care if you like vanilla - I’m not trying to convince you that my chocolate is better than your vanilla. All I can tell you is I personally hate vanilla and would only eat chocolate. Vanilla isn’t on a scale of good or bad to me - because it’s not a scale for me at all.
Sounds like panties are twisted to me. All too easy. Enjoy your chocolate.

I will enjoy both chocolate, vanilla and many other flavors.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #107
CincyJohn

Quote:
Sounds like panties are twisted to me. All too easy. Enjoy your chocolate.

I will enjoy both chocolate, vanilla and many other flavors.
Really? Sounds like you spend your time pretty much only eating vanilla while trying to convince yourself and others that its just as good as chocolate.
Old 02-14-2022, 09:08 PM   #108
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,241 Times in 8,610 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
I love how every 2 months when we have a new MT vs. AT thread people talk like a PDK and an automatic with suggestion paddles are the same thing.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 09:53 PM   #109
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
people talk like a PDK and an automatic with suggestion paddles are the same thing.

They are.

If there’s no clutch I cannot control how quickly or harshly power gets transferred. Shift speed makes no difference, it’s still an automatic.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 09:56 PM   #110
Sapphireho
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,241 Times in 8,610 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
They are.

If there’s no clutch I cannot control how quickly or harshly power gets transferred. Shift speed makes no difference, it’s still an automatic.
No, they are not.
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 10:01 PM   #111
CincyJohn

Quote:
No, they are not.
I agree they aren’t the same. But so what?? The only point is that neither is a manual.
Old 02-14-2022, 10:02 PM   #112
Ernest72

Quote:
Really? Sounds like you spend your time pretty much only eating vanilla while trying to convince yourself and others that its just as good as chocolate.
I never tried to convince anyone, just saying what the market is doing. Let’s wait and see the breakdown of AT vs MT for the second Gen. I believe there will be more MT, but there will be a bunch on AT as well.

I will admit that over 25 years on forums this has to be about my 200th MT vs AT thread discussing the same issue. Never changes.