follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 01-14-2016, 06:18 PM   #141
JT.86

Drives: Scion FRS 2016
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by protpibe View Post
The fenders are +30, which is fairly accurate. The only issue is the front of the fender tapers inwards and will cause a rub if you're running extremely low or are on air.

You can order from just about anywhere and it will be very similar in price. From what I remember, they are all just drop shipped from the same place in Japan.

86worx was on par with the best price I could find, delivered (I'm in Canada though)
The estimated shipping from 86worx from their site was 135USD to Toronto. Seemed way too low, how much was shipping for you in Winnipeg?
2016 MT|Varis Arising II body kit with carbon add-ons|Aimgain x Stancenation Spoiler|Valenti Japan Jewel headlights|Valenti 4th Brakelight|ST-X coilovers|SPC LCA|18x10 TE37RT|Hankook Ventus RS3 265/35|Work Chrome blue lugnuts|Corsa catback|JDM TOM's red taillights|JDM armrest|TRD carbon Fender garnish|Beatrush Rear bumper brace|Cusco front strut
JT.86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:50 PM   #142
mmmcambelsoup

Drives: FR-S 10 series
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Fitment

Running stock fenders with 18x9.5 et 38 setup 265/35/18 (meaty) sitting pretty flush and aggressive coilover drop. Any ideas how big of a spacer to run to keep the same type of fitment with tokodori fenders? Is this a slap on 15mm spacer type deal, or am I looking at af 30mm spacer? Thanks in advance to those running these fenders already.
@JordanWho @TylerLieberman

10 series // TRD x Turbo Build:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79474
mmmcambelsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #143
protpibe

Drives: 4-Runner Sport - 13' BRZ SportTech
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcambelsoup View Post
Running stock fenders with 18x9.5 et 38 setup 265/35/18 (meaty) sitting pretty flush and aggressive coilover drop. Any ideas how big of a spacer to run to keep the same type of fitment with tokodori fenders? Is this a slap on 15mm spacer type deal, or am I looking at af 30mm spacer? Thanks in advance to those running these fenders already.

The fenders add 30mm but they taper towards the front. I ran 265 with a 30mm spacer and the tire was touching the front of the fender where it meets the marker light. 20-25mm would probably be good
mmmcambelsoup (01-31-2016)
Old 01-31-2016, 07:58 PM   #144
mmmcambelsoup

@protpibe, what was your offset on your wheel to begin with before spacers? Sorry if you have mentioned this. Trying to plan if I need extended studs, what size spacer, etc.

Current setup for ref, trying to maintain same fitment with new fender.

Old 01-31-2016, 09:42 PM   #145
TylerLieberman

Drives: '24 GR86
Thanked 3,341 Times in 1,575 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmcambelsoup View Post
@JordanWho @TylerLieberman

^^
18x9.5 +40 Volk TE37SL
265/35R18 Dunlop DZ102 all around
-2.3 / -1.6 camber (f/r)
7,7,5,5mm Parts Shop Max Spacers (24mm total) front
3mm Part Shop Max Spacers rear

Final wheel spec: 18x9.5 +16 (front) / 18x9.5 +37 (rear)

Car rubbed a little bit all around under hard cornering. Also was damn near impossible to run the corner lights at this height with this wheel setup. If I did it again, I'd get LCAs up front to widen the track and go up to about -3 camber. More inward clearance, and I would be able to ditch the spacers.

Another pic to show how dead on the fitment was up front.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TylerLieberman For This Useful Post:
mmmcambelsoup (02-01-2016)
Old 02-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #146
mmmcambelsoup

@TylerLieberman Thanks, you answered all my questions in that one post lol.

Old 04-17-2016, 12:01 AM   #147
nima314

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2017 (almost)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post

^^
18x9.5 +40 Volk TE37SL
265/35R18 Dunlop DZ102 all around
-2.3 / -1.6 camber (f/r)
7,7,5,5mm Parts Shop Max Spacers (24mm total) front
3mm Part Shop Max Spacers rear

Final wheel spec: 18x9.5 +16 (front) / 18x9.5 +37 (rear)

Car rubbed a little bit all around under hard cornering. Also was damn near impossible to run the corner lights at this height with this wheel setup. If I did it again, I'd get LCAs up front to widen the track and go up to about -3 camber. More inward clearance, and I would be able to ditch the spacers.

Another pic to show how dead on the fitment was up front.
Hey man, thanks a lot for this post. I've been reading countless threads and posts for the last few weeks and this one especially helped me a lot. I've been reading basically everything on these cards because I want to get the 2017 model, which is in the last quarter of this year, just as I finish my university studies. I am planning to order the Todoroki Fenders and some Work CR 2P (GTS colour) rims: 18x9.5. I'm looking to get 255/35/R18 tyres as I personally concluded that it'll be perfect for my daily and it suits the power of the car. I'm planning to drop the height by 1" with springs. The reason is that adjustable coilovers are illegal here in Australia, however non-height adjustable ones are not. I could not find coilovers that are not height adjustable. If anyone knows any, please let me know! Also, Australia doesn't tolerate tyres sitting outside of the body.

I'm still deciding on my offset, and I was thinking of going +38 with a 25/30mm spacer in the front, as yours ended up having a +16 offset with a 265 wheel. So a 255 tyre with +8 offset would be around the same. As for the rear, I don't think I need any adjustments to the fenders as it's a mere 255 with +38 offset. The reason I'm going for spacers is so I can swap out the tyres without having to buy new ones. I'll wait and see how flush the rear wheels are before buying spacers for them, because I really don't know what will be the perfect fit.

What do you think about my plans? I know I don't have the car yet but I just want to make sure I've made every effort possible as to avoid any mishaps and misalignments, etc, and so I can order the rims & fenders two months beforehand.
nima314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:19 AM   #148
TylerLieberman

@nima314

A +8 up front is doable, however, you're going to have to run roughly -3 camber up front to make it work. My +16 setup up front was bang on flush; maybe 2-3mm Max of poke. It's really the most aggressive setup I could run with that alignment. Again, +8 is fine, however you'll need more camber than what I was running.

Are you sure ride height adjustable coilovers are illegal? I know countless people that are running them over there in Australia. I know they have laws regarding alignment, Fitment and things like that, but I've always been under the impression the car can still be lowered.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:23 AM   #149
nima314

@TylerLieberman

Oh, I thought that because I'm gonna be running 255 tyres, compared to your 265, that I need to offset an extra 10 (making it +16-10=+6).

Also, yes, they are illegal, they usually let you off, you can lower the car, but can't have coilovers that are height-adjustable (change the height whenever you want). I simply want it all to be legal so I can relax and laugh if a cop doesn't like me, because you can't trust that they'll all let you off. I also realised that getting springs saved me a grand, because I'm only dropping it an inch, so I thought it's all good for my daily. However I noticed that people are saying springs will need to be changed to coilovers for some wheels set-ups to fit or something, but I have no knowledge of why that is.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:47 AM   #150
TylerLieberman

Quote:
Originally Posted by nima314 View Post
@TylerLieberman

Oh, I thought that because I'm gonna be running 255 tyres, compared to your 265, that I need to offset an extra 10 (making it +16-10=+6).

Also, yes, they are illegal, they usually let you off, you can lower the car, but can't have coilovers that are height-adjustable (change the height whenever you want). I simply want it all to be legal so I can relax and laugh if a cop doesn't like me, because you can't trust that they'll all let you off. I also realised that getting springs saved me a grand, because I'm only dropping it an inch, so I thought it's all good for my daily. However I noticed that people are saying springs will need to be changed to coilovers for some wheels set-ups to fit or something, but I have no knowledge of why that is.
While the tires may be a bit smaller, the wheel would still poke out more. The smaller tire will help with clearance, but it'll still help with clearance overall, but I can guarantee you'd rub quite a bit with the same alignment settings. Increase camber, or go with a less aggressive offset.

In terms of coilovers Vs springs, the reason why some for with coilovers and not springs is because the oem struts and springs are muh larger in size (diameter wise), so they take up more space under the fenders. That can cause the inner lip of the wheel barrel and/or tire to hit the OEM Spring/shock. Switching to a coilover helps by giving you more clearance, allowing you to run a wider wheel without hitting.

Springs can get you the 1" drop you're looking for. It won't be the best from a performance aspect, as you will have altered the geometry, reduced the available travel, and equipped a spring the OEM shocks weren't necessarily valved for, but it will give you the ride height you seek.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:03 AM   #151
nima314

@TylerLieberman

All right, a big thanks for the quick replies. This is certainly much more satisfying than reading other people's builds and discussions, as everyone has a specific set up at the end of the day. I could get coilovers if they are not height adjustable, but I could not find any. Have you ever come across one?

About the clearance, that all makes sense now, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll go with the +38 rims and put 20mm spacers in the front, giving it a +18, which would be flush as yours pokes by 2-3mm. However, as the tyre is smaller by 10, maybe a 25mm spacer will do the job. I might have to wait and measure it all up. I'll stick to the rear having no spacers, and if it looks like it could poke out a little more due to my tyre being 255 rather than 265, I'll just pop a 5mm spacer in there!
Old 04-17-2016, 07:04 AM   #152
nima314

Update: I guess I got the wrong information from someone. Coilovers are legal as long as the car is 10cm from the ground! No certification needed!

Guess I'll be getting my MCA blues as planned!

Also I did a tonne of research on the law and its pretty good actually. The tyres can be 30% wider than factory, so that makes 265 legal. Also, the offset can't be reduced by more than 12.5mm. Therefore, the lowest offset is legally +36 (as we are +48 stock). I can't use spacers, theyre completely illegal unless provided by factory. So, with a +36 offset and a 255 wheel, it won't be flush, but I thought 255 would be the optimal tyre size (or at least maximum).

How has your experience been with 265's? I would get them if it doesn't affect performance from 255 to 265 so that it can be closer to flush. A +36 offset in the rear would be perfect, as yours flushes at +37 (or would you change it a mm or two if you could? As I'm buying them new I can choose the offset?) I'll do that offset for the rear. However I can't use spacers so I may need to get the 10mm fenders people are talking about. Would i need camber so nothing rubs..What do you think?

Thanks man!
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Last edited by nima314; 04-17-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:22 AM   #153
Codythatsme

Drives: GT 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerLieberman View Post
While the tires may be a bit smaller, the wheel would still poke out more. The smaller tire will help with clearance, but it'll still help with clearance overall, but I can guarantee you'd rub quite a bit with the same alignment settings. Increase camber, or go with a less aggressive offset.

In terms of coilovers Vs springs, the reason why some for with coilovers and not springs is because the oem struts and springs are muh larger in size (diameter wise), so they take up more space under the fenders. That can cause the inner lip of the wheel barrel and/or tire to hit the OEM Spring/shock. Switching to a coilover helps by giving you more clearance, allowing you to run a wider wheel without hitting.

Springs can get you the 1" drop you're looking for. It won't be the best from a performance aspect, as you will have altered the geometry, reduced the available travel, and equipped a spring the OEM shocks weren't necessarily valved for, but it will give you the ride height you seek.

Hey man! My fenders just arrived, by reading this thread I thought that you only had to cut the frame when you were running wide wheels, but after test fitting the fender, it hits the frame and won't bolt on down the bottom. Just wondering exactly what part you need to grind off?
Codythatsme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 AM   #154
TylerLieberman

@nima314

No big deal. Buy your 18x9.5 +38 wheels. +38 is perfect on the rear, and you won't need anything special. Very slight fender roll, but that's it. The rears will be flush as is. For the fronts, get adjustable LCAs. Reason being is because you won't be lowering the wheel offset, you'll be widening the track, so it's legal.

My car was great with 265s all around. Straight line acceleration suffered a bit, but the car felt great. It just didn't work for drifting purposes, as did the wheels, so I sold it all off.