follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #1
RahulT7

Drives: Almost Totaled FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unhappy [HELP] Detroit FR-S/BRZ Owners

Hello everyone,

I am a proud FR-S owner and recently moved to Detroit from Peoria for work. I smashed my car on I-94 on Dec 30th 2016 and the damages are extensive as you cans see from the images. I need your help and suggestions as I wanna get it repaired by myself and I was quite stupid when I bought the car on lien without a collision/comprehensive insurance but I do have GAP and Toyota will cut my lein down by a few grands. I know I was an immature idiot back in 2015 when I bought this as my first car and listened to the dealer who made a fool of me.

Can anyone help me with this? Bodykits, headlights, other parts and a really good and trustworthy bodyshop. People told me to get it repaired 'Detroit' style, not sure what that meant. I have never worked on cars before so I am really looking for help.

BTW, I am working on the new Mustang at Ford as an Electrical Engineer.

RahulT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 06:18 PM   #2
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Looks bad.....i'm surprised you don't have collision coverage. I'm assuming you paid cash for the car since no collision comprehensive coverage. Check out some body shops in your area. This post should be in Detriother Michigan region section.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 07:38 PM   #3
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86geek View Post
Looks bad.....i'm surprised you don't have collision coverage. I'm assuming you paid cash for the car since no collision comprehensive coverage. Check out some body shops in your area. This post should be in Detriother Michigan region section.
Thanks for the reply, I did not pay cash for the car and it is still on a lien. I posted in the Great Lakes section but no replies on it. Any specific bodykit that you would suggest?
RahulT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #4
86geek

Drives: 2015 FRS Asphalt
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulT7 View Post
Thanks for the reply, I did not pay cash for the car and it is still on a lien. I posted in the Great Lakes section but no replies on it. Any specific bodykit that you would suggest?
I thought any car loan the banks require collision/comprehensive coverage. Bidykits cost big $$$ might as well get a body & fender shop to fix it.

Opti-Coat & Cquartz Finest, Apexi Drop in Filter, 2.5 Perrin Res. Catback Exhaust
86geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 10:36 PM   #5
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
"People told me to get it repaired 'Detroit' style, not sure what that meant."

http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...=Detroit+Style
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:29 AM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I am a proud FR-S owner and recently moved to Detroit from Peoria for work. I smashed my car on I-94 on Dec 30th 2016 and the damages are extensive as you cans see from the images. I need your help and suggestions as I wanna get it repaired by myself and I was quite stupid when I bought the car on lien without a collision/comprehensive insurance but I do have GAP and Toyota will cut my lein down by a few grands. I know I was an immature idiot back in 2015 when I bought this as my first car and listened to the dealer who made a fool of me.

Can anyone help me with this? Bodykits, headlights, other parts and a really good and trustworthy bodyshop. People told me to get it repaired 'Detroit' style, not sure what that meant. I have never worked on cars before so I am really looking for help.
WOW, RahulT7 ...... you messed up that car pretty bad ......

What do you mean you bought the car on lein .... ?? Is it a leased car or did Toyota finance it .. ??

Like @86geek says, it's highly unlikely a finance company would loan on a car without requiring insurance .....

As far as you fixing it (since you have no body work experience) ....... I suggest that you take it to a good body shop.

Fixed "Detroit style" ....... around here we call it "Bubba style"...... get a front clip, LF fender and L side mirror from the junk yard, the rest can be fixed with a large hammer, welding torch, Bondo and a rattle can of white paint .......

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:28 AM   #7
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post

Close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

What do you mean you bought the car on lein .... ?? Is it a leased car or did Toyota finance it .. ??

Like @86geek says, it's highly unlikely a finance company would loan on a car without requiring insurance .....

As far as you fixing it (since you have no body work experience) ....... I suggest that you take it to a good body shop.

Fixed "Detroit style" ....... around here we call it "Bubba style"...... get a front clip, LF fender and L side mirror from the junk yard, the rest can be fixed with a large hammer, welding torch, Bondo and a rattle can of white paint .......

humfrz

This is a "Detroit Style" car repair:

86geek (02-06-2017), humfrz (02-06-2017), ToySub1946 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 11:22 AM   #8
billwot

Drives: '11 Cayman , '14 Camry, '11 Tacoma
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Check your purchase/finance documents. Its pretty much impossible to get a car loan and not carry collision/comp insurance. It's probably in your monthly payment.
billwot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #9
kakacarrotcake
Banned

Drives: Man
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Send a message via ICQ to kakacarrotcake Send a message via AIM to kakacarrotcake Send a message via Yahoo to kakacarrotcake
Quote:
I thought any car loan the banks require collision/comprehensive coverage. Bidykits cost big $$$ might as well get a body & fender shop to fix it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Check your purchase/finance documents. Its pretty much impossible to get a car loan and not carry collision/comp insurance. It's probably in your monthly payment.

Lienholders usually do require comprehensive and collision, but adding it to you insurance policy is not required. Although most lienholders have a system of checks and balances in place to avoid this, it still happens quite a bit.

It's not uncommon for people to forego the coverage because of the insurance premium associated with it, not realizing the consequences. Especially in Michigan and Florida where most insurance premiums are higher than other states.

Best thing the OP can do is get it fixed, then add comprehensive and collision coverage.
kakacarrotcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:14 PM   #10
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakacarrotcake View Post
Lienholders usually do require comprehensive and collision, but adding it to you insurance policy is not required. Although most lienholders have a system of checks and balances in place to avoid this, it still happens quite a bit.

It's not uncommon for people to forego the coverage because of the insurance premium associated with it, not realizing the consequences. Especially in Michigan and Florida where most insurance premiums are higher than other states.

Best thing the OP can do is get it fixed, then add comprehensive and collision coverage.
The dealer made an ass out of me, this is my first car in a new country. I came to the US as a student from India, got a job and starting earning a good salary so I bought this car. The dealer told me that 'GAP' insurance will cover everything if I total the car and I only need basic insurance. I have my insurance records from the state of Indiana (Where I bought it) and then moved to Illinois (Peoria) for work and recently to Michigan (Detroit) for a new job at Ford. I bought the premium service plan with the car as well to save it from future scratches and dents. If I had done my homework about GAP and usual comprehensive/collision insurance then I would not be in this spot right now. Lets just say I was like a toddler in a toyshop when I was at the dealership getting this car.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:19 PM   #11
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by billwot View Post
Nope, I checked all my documents after the wreck. I do have GAP insurance tough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Close.

This is a "Detroit Style" car repair:

Sad picture mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post

humfrz
The dealer tricked me and the car is on a loan from Toyota Financial. I guess he ticked the part in the loan application where it said that he checked that I bought comprehensive insurance. He 'advised' be to get basic insurance and GAP to cover everything. I never changed anything after the purchase and I have my policy documents to prove that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post

Quote:
I am willing to invest $$$ in the car as I love my car. If you guys can suggest a good bodyshop then it will be really helpful.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:37 PM   #12
k_mono_FRS

Drives: 94 EG6 si, 97 DelSol si, 14 Monogra
Man... Sad to see this. Did you roll it in a ditch? Looks like you also have minor a pillar and roof damage. This is going to be a very costly repair. If its a base model... it might be more cost effective to just total it and get another one if that's an option.
k_mono_FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to k_mono_FRS For This Useful Post:
RahulT7 (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #13
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by k_mono_FRS View Post
Man... Sad to see this. Did you roll it in a ditch? Looks like you also have minor a pillar and roof damage. This is going to be a very costly repair. If its a base model... it might be more cost effective to just total it and get another one if that's an option.
Well I crashed in the guard railings on the median first and then went in the ditch all the way to the right. If I hadn't over-corrected then I would have not crashed in the ditch. I showed the car at a body shop and they said it is all cosmetic damaged and the pillar is fine.

They did give me a 13K estimate though and the part prices were off the roof!
6K for parts and 7K for labor.

Also I cannot total the car since I have no insurance and I still owe 23.5K on the car.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well I crashed in the guard railings on the median first and then went in the ditch all the way to the right. If I hadn't over-corrected then I would have not crashed in the ditch. I showed the car at a body shop and they said it is all cosmetic damaged and the pillar is fine.

They did give me a 13K estimate though and the part prices were off the roof!
6K for parts and 7K for labor.

Also I cannot total the car since I have no insurance and I still owe 23.5K on the car.
That price is about bang on. No airbags deployed?