follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-04-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
Newguy

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Super/ Turbo charged system issues/ fixes

Anybody having issues with stock idler pulley above tensioner giving out with Vortech kit installed? If so, anyone know of comparable aftrmrkt pulley in lieu of that or what bearing can be replaced into that pulley?
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
tendogy

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
You just want a K060975 belt, either a gates racing version or a standard version.

The Idler pulley is a gates 38006

You can order it from amazon/rockauto.com or your local autoparts store.

After replacing the idler pulley with the gates pulley and a racing belt I didn't have any problems with belts (the only problem I had previously was a squeaking pulley).

I wouldn't be worried.... just replace the pulley when you get the kit, and use the included K060975 or upgrade to a gates racing version of the same belt (K060975RB). I would not be paranoid as long as you do the pulley swap.

I'm actually running a higher PSI pulley with a STANDARD belt with no issues right now and the gates idler pulley 38006.
The most important thing you can do after install is to check all the belt/pulley clearances with your charge pipes and to make sure that all the brackets are installed properly so that the supercharger pulley is aligned correctly with the rest of your belt system.
See above. The idler pulley commonly needs to be replaced, especially on earlier Vortech kits.
tendogy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tendogy For This Useful Post:
Newguy (02-04-2014)
Old 02-04-2014, 01:42 PM   #3
Newguy

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I saw the problem with that pulley but the problem I'm having is with the ribbed idler pulley above (or adjacent) the tensioner becoming really squeaky. So wanted to know if anyone had any experience with swapping out the pulley for something outside of the stock pulley (not from Vortech) or just changing the bearing.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Newguy is offline   Reply With Quote