follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2015, 01:57 AM   #1
holydevil27

Drives: altima
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Oil Cooler Placement With Intercooler

Dear All,

I live in Dubai and I want to buy and install an oil cooler for my car. However, later on I want to install an AVO Turbo kit stage 2. Temperatures in this country go up to 55 degrees Celcius and Im pretty sure I need an oil cooler and an intercooler since I will be tracking my car. The issue I'm facing is where to install the oil cooler when I get the turbo kit. Some people are saying behind the fog lamp but I dont want to remove the current fogs. Others are saying just place it in front of the intercooler. Is there enough space? If I do go for the idea of installing it in front of the intercooler, is the Perrin Oil Cooler better than the Mishimoto since its smaller? I'm thinking of a methalin kit as well, not sure I need that.

Please advise.
holydevil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #2
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Why not buy AVO's oil cooler?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 09:23 AM   #3
Freeman

Garage
http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop...kit-p-245.html

Old 01-27-2015, 02:52 AM   #4
holydevil27

Drives: altima
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Why not buy AVO's oil cooler?

Won't I have to remove the fog lamps for proper air flow?
holydevil27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Freeman

Garage
Doesn't look like it.

Old 01-27-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
liquidsky44

Drives: AVO Turbo Subaru BRZ / Subaru WRX
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I think your best bet is place an oil cooler at the area where the fog light is. Currently tuning the avo setup and prior to the oil cooler installation my oil temp was around 128°C during warm up lap on the track. The temp here is crazy hot and no surprise my car's ecu came with the oem gulf region tune. I just feel that for places where you get constant high temp all year round we should always try to find ways to reduce as much heat as possible.
AVO Turbo|Essex AP Sprint Kit|AVO Overpipe|HKS Hi-Power Spec L Catback|Cusco Engine Mounts|Whiteline Bushings|KW Clubsport|Defi Advance ZD|AEM Wideband Failsafe Gauge|Greddy ProFec Boost Controller|Tomei 2Way LSD|AEM Water/Meth Kit|PBM Angle Kit + Kunckles|Flatwell LCA|HKS Oil Cooler|Greddy High Cap. Diff Cooler|Sard ATF Oil Cooler|CSF Radiator|
liquidsky44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 03:32 PM   #7
Mishimoto

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holydevil27 View Post
Dear All,

I live in Dubai and I want to buy and install an oil cooler for my car. However, later on I want to install an AVO Turbo kit stage 2. Temperatures in this country go up to 55 degrees Celcius and Im pretty sure I need an oil cooler and an intercooler since I will be tracking my car. The issue I'm facing is where to install the oil cooler when I get the turbo kit. Some people are saying behind the fog lamp but I dont want to remove the current fogs. Others are saying just place it in front of the intercooler. Is there enough space? If I do go for the idea of installing it in front of the intercooler, is the Perrin Oil Cooler better than the Mishimoto since its smaller? I'm thinking of a methalin kit as well, not sure I need that.

Please advise.
Thanks for considering our oil cooler! We have designed our oil cooler kit with NA vehicles in mind, in terms of fitment. A few customers have asked about fitment with front-mount setups and this will be determined by the size and location of the intercooler in question. That being said, space is limited on the BRZ/FR-S in the front bumper area.

We have not been able to confirm fitment of our cooler with the AVO turbocharger setup. It is rather likely that our cooler would need to be relocated to a fog-lamp position in order to fit. This would require bracket fabrication and modification of the lines included in our kit. The primary components, oil cooler and sandwich plate, are included and will be necessary for oil cooler installation.

We have discussed developing a kit intended for vehicles with FMIC setups. That being said, we have yet to move into the R&D phase of that particular project.

Let me know if I can answer any questions regarding our kit!

Thanks
-John
Mishimoto is offline   Reply With Quote