follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2020, 04:52 PM   #1163
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_kar View Post
I am not a fan of the stick on screen either
As a general rule I hate them too, but sometimes it's done well IMO:

BMW i3

The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
drew_kar (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 05:21 PM   #1164
drew_kar

Drives: WRB Brz / SR S14
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spuds View Post
If one states every possible outcome, they will always be right at least once. Let's just forget about the vast majority of statements that turn out to be incorrect.
This is true. They tend to contradict themselves every other month lol. I really like the current dash of the the twins.
The Following User Says Thank You to drew_kar For This Useful Post:
Spuds (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM   #1165
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbradley View Post
It has a distinct Subaru influence in the styling. Taillights probably similar on the next WRX. I like that they sneaked in the WRX front fender aero. Time to tip your hats to BOTH Subaru and Toyota with the little reminders/easter eggs.
I'm gonna put my stamp on it (lol) and say it's almost a go.
All they need is confidence that 20k units/or could be sold. Otherwise, save up your sheckles for a Supra if you want to stay in the Toyota sports car game. I'd actually jump on a 2021 3.0, if circumstances were slightly different.

Nissan? Blechhh.
Maybe if the GTR mechanicals were put into a body styled not not to look like a Transformer or something unworldly. It's just to BIG a car for me, the element of staying in control vs catastrophic situation isnt for me.
Whoever made the render used some Subaru designs to on it. I wouldn't be passing out kudos to the design team just yet though. It may not even look remotely like that, it could be close or it could be a real leaked photo (highly doubtful) and be bang on. The problem is that there are some 16 year olds out there that can make some pretty convincing renders.
wbradley (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 06:18 PM   #1166
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew_kar View Post
Meh the new Corolla has a stick on screen like that. It's becoming the norm. The current BRZ/86 interior doesn't share the corporate interior designs of other Toyotas and Subarus so I imagine the new one wouldn't either.

That said, Bestcar mag has been pretty accurate with their statements in the past. I am not a fan of the stick on screen either
Best car has made about 10 different statements as to the next gen. They have all been radically different and often the opposite of their last. People just ignore of forget all the shit they get wrong and jump when they guess right.
Old 05-31-2020, 06:39 PM   #1167
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post

BMW i3

nope, still looks like crap. they all look like crap.
AnalogMan (06-01-2020), Tcoat (05-31-2020)
Old 05-31-2020, 07:01 PM   #1168
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
nope, still looks like crap. they all look like crap.
But it's expensive crap so people think it must be fancy and modern. Just like Teslas...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (06-01-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-01-2020), soundman98 (05-31-2020), Tcoat (05-31-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 08:46 AM   #1169
AnalogMan

Drives: 2019 BRZ Limited 6 speed Red
Thanked 1,010 Times in 337 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
The obsession with touchscreens isn't just in cars. Even the crew Dragon space capsule has mostly touch screen controls:

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...-thoughts.html

For the life of me, I can't understand why touch screens would be used as the primary if not almost exclusive interface for a spacecraft (secondary, sure, but primary?). Yeah, I know they look cool and all 'science fictiony' and 'futuristic' (just like in the movies). But real-world spacecraft have been known to wobble and shake at times. Like, during crucial times such as lift-off, landing, and when something is going wrong (Apollo 13 anyone?). It's not always a smooth ride like in the movies. It's hard enough in a car to use a touch screen while in motion, with both your hand and the screen shaking to a blur while trying to hit a small spot on the screen. What happens when things go pear-shaped in a space capsule and the astronauts have to likewise use a touch screen?

Or, what happens when a touch screen fails? With a mechanical switch, there's the possibility of a work-around, a MacGyver type fix. In the Apollo 11 lunar module, a circuit breaker that controlled the ascent engine to lift off the surface was accidentally broken. The astronauts were able to fix it using the cap from a pen:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/50-y...ry?id=64228723

Without that, there would have been no way for them to ignite the ascent engine and lift off from the moon. What happens when a touch screen completely fails? I don't care how reliable they're supposed to be, or how much more reliable than a mechanical switch they allegedly are. Things happen. Things go wrong, usually in the worst possible way and at the worst possible time. It's nice to have back-ups that can be jury-rigged, especially when your life literally depends on it (again, see Apollo 13).

I understand there are some hard buttons for a few features on the Dragon, such as manually releasing parachutes during descent. Smart move. But what if you need something for which there isn't a back-up hard switch?

Yes, I know you can pack more features into a touch screen, and have multiple nested menus, and yes, it's much cheaper than hard controls. But shouldn't utility and safety be of paramount importance when you're sending people 150 miles into the vacuum of space?

We're all victims of our own past experiences. Even though I switched to all Apple products several years ago, I'm still traumatized from my DOS decades, and all the way too many blue screens of death for which the only fix was a new computer. I'd hate to experience that while in space.

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragon's touch screens are the same ones used in Tesla cars. I know Musk is big on branding, but really?

For me, it's an absolute deal-breaker if the only way to access the radio or HVAC system is through a touch screen. You can't use a touch screen with gloves on (which we often drive with here in New England, having something called winter), and I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while traveling at 100 feet/sec to try and hit some little spot on a screen to change the radio or heat setting.

Plus the iPad on a dash look is just vomit-inducing ugly.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AnalogMan For This Useful Post:
guitarman (06-01-2020), soundman98 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:14 AM   #1170
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:

BMW i3
Not a fan. If I had to pick a digital screen done well, I'd have to point to the 2021 Escalade prototype, which I've posted photos of before. Very traditional in layout, but flexible where you can decide what you want displayed.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Old 06-01-2020, 10:20 AM   #1171
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i still think those are not extremely accurate renders. in checking toyota and subaru's current 2019 lineup interior shots, the tablet-bolted-to-the-dash look isn't something that either brand has really picked up on, so to design this car with it, would be a wild departure from the status quo for both brands.

which is a good thing, as i hate that look.
yeah i doubt that interior is accurate...It doesnt look like anything that is current subaru or current toyota.....

it looks like a hodgepodge of various cars blended with an 86 interior....

The tablet/display looks its lifted from a Corolla, the armrest poached from a Supra, the HVAC knobs are the subaru BRZ versions and enlarged like 150%,
The push button start ran out of space so they just stuck it to the side becasue reasons.....all blended on top of a regular current FT86 center console.....

Toyota actually is using the bolted on tablet look. Started with the Corolla, and is in the Rav4, the new sienna, Euro Yaris/Yaris cross, the CHR and Highlander have a more stylish less bolted on, more melded look to it (still sticks out though). Camry doesnt, but that one looks like an evolution of the last gen Avalon interior design. Avalon has a tower in the center console that sticks up giving it also a somewhat integrated look.
I think Subaru has gone the more integrated look.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-01-2020), Tcoat (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #1172
Stephen W.

Drives: 1993 Caterham HPC Evo
Thanked 2,407 Times in 954 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Spy photo showing next gen twins pre production mock-up instrument cluster.
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stephen W. For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-01-2020), guitarman (06-01-2020), NoHaveMSG (06-01-2020), soundman98 (06-01-2020), Spuds (06-01-2020), Tcoat (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #1173
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen W. View Post
Spy photo showing next gen twins pre production mock-up instrument cluster.
Told you the next gen would be heavier!
Dadhawk (06-01-2020), Stephen W. (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:46 AM   #1174
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

BMW i3

Looks quite silly.

Why is there just a big empty space with nothing. Not even some styling, just flat open space.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM   #1175
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
Why is there just a big empty space with nothing. Not even some styling, just flat open space.
Thanks to Tesla, that IS what passes for styling now.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #1176
Spuds
The Dictater

Drives: '13 Red Scion FRS
Thanked 12,400 Times in 6,129 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogMan View Post
The obsession with touchscreens isn't just in cars. Even the crew Dragon space capsule has mostly touch screen controls:

https://www.space.com/spacex-crew-dr...-thoughts.html

For the life of me, I can't understand why touch screens would be used as the primary if not almost exclusive interface for a spacecraft (secondary, sure, but primary?). Yeah, I know they look cool and all 'science fictiony' and 'futuristic' (just like in the movies). But real-world spacecraft have been known to wobble and shake at times. Like, during crucial times such as lift-off, landing, and when something is going wrong (Apollo 13 anyone?). It's not always a smooth ride like in the movies. It's hard enough in a car to use a touch screen while in motion, with both your hand and the screen shaking to a blur while trying to hit a small spot on the screen. What happens when things go pear-shaped in a space capsule and the astronauts have to likewise use a touch screen?

Or, what happens when a touch screen fails? With a mechanical switch, there's the possibility of a work-around, a MacGyver type fix. In the Apollo 11 lunar module, a circuit breaker that controlled the ascent engine to lift off the surface was accidentally broken. The astronauts were able to fix it using the cap from a pen:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/50-y...ry?id=64228723

Without that, there would have been no way for them to ignite the ascent engine and lift off from the moon. What happens when a touch screen completely fails? I don't care how reliable they're supposed to be, or how much more reliable than a mechanical switch they allegedly are. Things happen. Things go wrong, usually in the worst possible way and at the worst possible time. It's nice to have back-ups that can be jury-rigged, especially when your life literally depends on it (again, see Apollo 13).

I understand there are some hard buttons for a few features on the Dragon, such as manually releasing parachutes during descent. Smart move. But what if you need something for which there isn't a back-up hard switch?

Yes, I know you can pack more features into a touch screen, and have multiple nested menus, and yes, it's much cheaper than hard controls. But shouldn't utility and safety be of paramount importance when you're sending people 150 miles into the vacuum of space?

We're all victims of our own past experiences. Even though I switched to all Apple products several years ago, I'm still traumatized from my DOS decades, and all the way too many blue screens of death for which the only fix was a new computer. I'd hate to experience that while in space.

Somehow, I wouldn't be surprised if the Dragon's touch screens are the same ones used in Tesla cars. I know Musk is big on branding, but really?

For me, it's an absolute deal-breaker if the only way to access the radio or HVAC system is through a touch screen. You can't use a touch screen with gloves on (which we often drive with here in New England, having something called winter), and I don't want to have to take my eyes off the road while traveling at 100 feet/sec to try and hit some little spot on a screen to change the radio or heat setting.

Plus the iPad on a dash look is just vomit-inducing ugly.
Lol your username seems to be quite accurate...

Not to get too off-topic, but I'll take a shot at the spacecraft part:
Standard practice is to identify every system function that is safety critical and they likely made some manual control for anything they identified that an astronaut could do something about. The dragon capsule (and probably starliner too, haven't dived into too many details) basically flies and operates itself, so pretty much all the controls you are looking at are "secondary". The astronauts are basically there to manage the spacecraft, as opposed to flying it.

As for the benefits of touchscreens, they are actually relatively cheap, less prone to vibrational/use failure (solid state), and enable the controls to be completely reconfigured. This last bit means redundancy. ANY single touch screen can have ALL the controls routed to it. One goes out, go to the next one. If you pack 3 touchscreens, you are actually triple redundant, which is hard to do with hardware swithces. Plus, you can easily update/reconfigure the entirety of the controls using software, which is generally more expedient and user friendly.

If you want to talk more space stuff, might I suggest:
https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=140605
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spuds For This Useful Post:
AnalogMan (06-01-2020), Dadhawk (06-01-2020)

Closed Thread

Tags
#still slow, fake news