follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 07-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #1
JonnyObnoxious

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Series 10 #1369

Hello all!

I decided to get an FRS for some casual sliding and fell into this slightly distressed Series 10. I got it at ~113k miles and I've put 2k miles on it in the month I've owned it (I drove from Ventura, CA to Toledo, OR). It drives solid other than that the transmission seems to be rather abused; it doesn't shift all that smoothly and the 4th gear syncro is extra rough. The engine sounds pretty good, aside from being my first flat 4 and it's louder than I'm used to. It's on a set of Eibach lowering springs, so it rides hard but solid. I've been poking around and noticed the previous owner added or changed some parts to 86 trim: I'm missing my console plate that says the car's number, the blue glow solar shifter, and there's some 86 decals added. There's some sort of light controller under the console. I found an RCA converter wired in at the amp and a BOSS PH2.500 under the passenger seat. The front bumper is rather beat up and has been repainted in a silver that doesn't match the original silver ignition.

It's my regular driving car, but I have a company vehicle I drive for work, so it's mostly for weekend pleasure driving. So my build plans are based on that.

I'm gonna start by upgrading the audio. I already threw together a (way too big for the space) subwoofer using a 10" Kicker I had around and the amp I found plus a ported box I picked up locally for $70 with wiring to complete the project. I still need to dig into the stock system and see what's worth keeping. I'm trying to find what's current on 200mm head units; looking for touchscreen and Android Auto. Then probably a JL Audio Stealthbox. Not sure yet about the stock amp and speakers.

Next I'lm going to be doing cosmetics. It needs some PDR and paint correction, but only front bumper is in bad shape. I'm looking at doing an 2017 facelift upgrade to the exterior with the newer front bumper, headlights and tail lights. Thinking about real CF for the windshield cowl and rear skirt. Then I'd like to have it refreshed with the original Silver Ignition paint. Maybe finish it with some wild looking wrap that will protect the paint. I'm also thinking about adding some CF to the interior and changing all the red trim to blue.

Last will be mechanical upgrades. I'm new to California, and everything is making me think any major mods to my engine and emissions will have me failing smog. So maybe I have to shelve the idea of a turbo and e85. Regardless, I think my first step will be suspension. I'd like to go with coilovers that will offer a smoother ride while maintaining the height and grip dynamics. Then I'll be looking at intakes and other bolt-ons to get generally better performance out of then engine. I believe I've got the chirping fuel pump, so I'll see about getting the upgraded one.

I'm not a mechanic and I'm brand new to this platform, so any suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by JonnyObnoxious; 08-01-2020 at 06:22 PM.
JonnyObnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonnyObnoxious For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (03-27-2021)
Old 07-19-2020, 12:00 AM   #2
Cheeky

Drives: 10 Series FRS
Good on you for saving a 10 series

I have one myself and afaik there are no console plates in the middle with the #, only the cup holder plate.

The blue glow shifter only came with AT versions of our car, MT only got standard shift knob.

Light control, if it’s the one underneath the driver footwell, is to turn on/off the light animation on the passenger side dash trim piece. It just flashes some fancy 10 series lights for abt 10 secs every time the car starts or the night lights turn on. If prev owner changed the trim then it may be hiding it.
Cheeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 11:41 AM   #3
JonnyObnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheeky View Post
Good on you for saving a 10 series

I have one myself and afaik there are no console plates in the middle with the #, only the cup holder plate.

The blue glow shifter only came with AT versions of our car, MT only got standard shift knob.

Light control, if it’s the one underneath the driver footwell, is to turn on/off the light animation on the passenger side dash trim piece. It just flashes some fancy 10 series lights for abt 10 secs every time the car starts or the night lights turn on. If prev owner changed the trim then it may be hiding it.
Well, I found this photo. Maybe someone made it, but I definitely like it.

I'll pull the console apart later today and take a pic of what's down there. I didn't bother looking at it when plugging my 12v socket back in while driving it home.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:27 PM   #4
JonnyObnoxious

Damn. After too much looking I'm not sure if I want to do a facelift +2017 update, or go with one of these.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:43 PM   #5
TylerLieberman

Drives: '20 Hakone 86
Thanked 3,334 Times in 1,572 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyObnoxious View Post
Damn. After too much looking I'm not sure if I want to do a facelift +2017 update, or go with one of these.
Leave as is. Way better than either of those things pictured above. 17 front if you absolutely HAVE to make a change.
TylerLieberman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 09:08 PM   #6
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,569 Times in 2,921 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Nah, get lucky and find the Nur Spec lip kit and giant wing!

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:04 PM   #7
JonnyObnoxious

Here's an update on what I've been doing. Which is little to nothing. But I did buy this 38k transmission and a set of used Valenti TRAD tail lights. I already posted a write up on disassembling them. I'm planning on getting a MaxJax lift for my garage at home and then I'll be digging into this project and seeing what's really going on behind the wheels.

Speaking of wheels, I think I'm gonna pick up these cheap Sport Editions to powder coat in a blue that matches the LED colors. Or maybe just a blue accent on them. Just something to switch up the look while I'm deciding on what I want for wheels long term.