follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 02-21-2019, 10:40 AM   #15
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStevan View Post
Now that you've had the Cusco pedal for a bit, how do you feel about it? I'm looking at possibly getting one for my self.
The Cusco pedal by itself is not sufficient. The "height" difference between the brake and gas pedal is the major issue, which is resolved with the Verus spacer, or similar product.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
FRStevan (02-21-2019), Kaleb765 (02-21-2019)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:37 PM   #16
Kaleb765

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S Raven Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRStevan View Post
Now that you've had the Cusco pedal for a bit, how do you feel about it? I'm looking at possibly getting one for my self.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Im more interested in feedback from the pedal spacer. I got big feet but the difference in height would help with "heel toe" vs left side of foot and right side.
So the biggest difference in the new pedal set up is for sure the height difference from the Verus spacer, not the next width from the Cusco pedal.I love the wider pedal, everyone should buy that, but I honestly would like if the spacer was maybe 3/4 the height. It does for sure make heel-toe easier having the pedals flush, but does have an odd feel, at least for now. I don't think i have fully adjusted to it yet, mainly from it being winter here, so from the time I did the install until now I have maybe only driven the car 5-7 times unfortunately. Im going to keep it on this entire year and see how if I ever adjust! I dont have the widest feet, so I really like that spacer moves the peddle closer to the brake, but it almost seems like under really hard braking the brake ends up being lower than the throttle peddle which feels strange to me, but again it does make blipping the throttle really easy....almost too easy lol
Kaleb765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 08:44 PM   #17
Kaleb765

Got to work disassembling my wheels tonight just to be able to clean them up easily, super easy process just time consuming. I was happy to find that all the hardware was all BBS and not aftermarket, they should clean up pretty good! Also my clear side markers finally showed up, but now I kinda wish I bought the Verus carbon replacements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Kaleb765 For This Useful Post:
MCTeeJ (02-27-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 04:47 AM   #18
Clutch Dog

Drives: 2017 BRZ PP , 2005 Saab 97X
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Not to hijack the thread, but i ordered my own pedal spacer
Clutch Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clutch Dog For This Useful Post:
Kaleb765 (02-24-2019)
Old 02-24-2019, 09:54 AM   #19
Kaleb765

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch Dog View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but i ordered my own pedal spacer

That’s awesome, it will be weird at first but it helps for sure!

Clutch Dog (02-24-2019)
Old 02-26-2019, 05:08 PM   #20
Kaleb765

Cleaned up the faces on the LMs today. I used some fine steel wool get all old caked on brake dust off and then ran them for a few cycles in the dish washer. Worked pretty well! Next up are the barrels and hardware...

MCTeeJ (02-27-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 09:24 AM   #21
ka-titties

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hahah the ol' wheel disks in the dish washer trick. Classic.
ka-titties is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ka-titties For This Useful Post:
Kaleb765 (02-27-2019)
Old 02-28-2019, 10:27 PM   #22
Kaleb765

Kaleb’s 86 (kaizen project)

Ordered an ultrasonic cleaner to clean up the wheel hardware and it just showed up today! I just used water the first round and then made a strong Simple Green mix and ran them all again. The cleaner did a good job on everything, although it did reveal that the bolts aren’t just dirty but do have a bit of corrosion. I’ll probably just reuse these bolts while I keep the 7” barrels. It kinda bothers me but it’s not like the used wheel faces and barrels are in mint condition anyways so no big deal. I am happy to have this little cleaner though, I’ll use it for any bolts I ever take off now, especially on my daily, which has spent it’s whole life outside in Indiana winters.

Last edited by Kaleb765; 03-01-2019 at 12:11 AM.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #23
Kaleb765

I’ve been a fan of the Valenti taillights since I had my first FRS but never bought a set, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a set of red editions and a black edition 4th brake light from ft86speedfactory. I also ordered a soldering iron and used a YouTube video to rewire the 4th brake light to separate the “V” from the brake triangle, but left it so it would still pulse before staying solid when applying the brakes. I’m super happy with the set up and it really brings the rear together well, the black edition 4th blends right into the rear when it’s off and red lens tails are my favorite on any car. I’m also about ready to put the LMs back together, I need to decide on coilovers...

Old 03-22-2019, 11:08 PM   #24
Kaleb765

I was having a hard time deciding on what coilovers to go with and set of HKS Hipermax SP came up for sale local for a great price and since they were on my list I went ahead and picked them up. I want to upgrade down the road, I really like the Ohlins set, but these will do for now, and it’s fun to have the HKS GT set on my daily and the SP on the 86, they feel extremely different and I like comparing the two cars. While I was installing the coilovers I realized I needed new end links, went with the Whiteline set and they seem to be pretty decent quality. I should have snapped some pictures with the wheels off, the colors on the end links and the coilovers are almost the same gold which was a nice surprise, I didn’t even consider the color of the end links when I ordered them. So I got that job all buttoned up and had some help at work swapping the tires off the stock wheels onto my LMs!

Also, I ended up getting some black enamel paint and sprayed the bolt heads to cover up the little bit of the original finish that was worn, and ordered new valve stems and lug nuts right from BBS. Pretty happy with the wheels for their age, but really can’t wait to pick up some wider barrels for them and get some proper tires.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kaleb765 For This Useful Post:
Clipdat (03-23-2019), JeremyR (05-29-2019), MrSkubi (03-25-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:04 AM   #25
Clipdat
Proud of BOXER

Drives: Subaru Boxer
Thanked 6,845 Times in 3,675 Posts
Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
My FR-S came with those tires and I hated them! Ahhh, brings back memories!

Looking forward to you getting some nicer tires on those sweet looking wheels in the future!

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz
I'm old and lazy
Clipdat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clipdat For This Useful Post:
Kaleb765 (03-23-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 11:36 PM   #26
Kaleb765

This is the new car delivery area at our dealership, I love the floors, hopefully I can get a cool set of photos inside after I get the car more complete!

Also, I popped in the JDM clear side markers last night, much cleaner look than the orange, but I still need to switch all the front lighting to LED.

Old 04-21-2019, 11:07 AM   #27
Kaleb765

Took the car in for an alignment before I rolled out to TN with my buddy to drive the Tail of the Dragon, I really need to buy LCAs, but the set up was still feeling really good.

We drove about 350-400 miles of mountain roads roads in just a single day and it was great time, I envy anyone who lives around there and gets to drive roads like that all the time! We stopped here and there a snapped a few pictures along the way, but we mainly just drove. No music, windows down, 80 degree sunny day...it was perfect.

Old 05-28-2019, 09:58 AM   #28
Kaleb765

Made a little more progress this weekend, I bought a Tomei UEL header and overpipe, as well as an Openflash tablet. I got the stock pieces out a few days before my new stuff arrived just to save some time on the install.
I was bored one night and I ended up wrapping the oil pan in some heat reflective tape I had, I figured it might help reflect a tiny amount of heat from the new header. The Tomei kit comes with heat wrap so I figured the 2 combined would help somewhat, and it’s gold so that has to add an extra HP or two...right??
I was really impressed with how complete the Tomei kit is, everything you could need is included, and the welds all looked amazing! The install was very easy, except for the one stud on the inside of the drivers side, I think this might be from the UEL design, but still a very easy job.
I took the car out for a test drive and the difference is pretty noticeable even without a tune, and I actually didn’t get a CEL which was a surprise. I’m pretty happy with the sound, and cruising at highway speed is way more mellow than I thought it was going to be, I won’t be switching up my exhaust setup anytime soon!
Now I’m ready for the Openflash tune, but I’m having some trouble. I don’t have a windows computer, and I kept getting a “COMM_ERROR” message on my buddy’s computer when trying to load the tune from the Openflash Manager, I’m going to pick up a cheap laptop today and see if I can figure it out.