follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 06-28-2020, 12:04 PM   #1
JonnyObnoxious

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Series 10 Carbon Fiber

Does anyone know if the Series 10 carbon fiber pieces are real carbon fiber or ABS with a carbon look?

I'm planning out this build and I'm gonna clean and polish these if they're real, replace them with real CF if they're faux.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
JonnyObnoxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 12:54 PM   #2
Jdmjunkie

Drives: Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
It is not real carbon.
Jdmjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jdmjunkie For This Useful Post:
JonnyObnoxious (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 12:58 PM   #3
JonnyObnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdmjunkie View Post
It is not real carbon.
I didn't think so. Looks and fades like plastic.

Now to make a list and buy them in CF. Pretty sure I'm gonna keep the stock look aside from ride height.

Old 06-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #4
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonnyObnoxious View Post
Looks and fades like plastic.
'Carbon Fiber' IS plastic.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
mrg666 (06-28-2020), soundman98 (06-28-2020)
Old 06-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #5
Swift
I just Drive.

Drives: in the womb still
Real carbon fiber is made from different weaves of actual carbon filaments that have already been "spun". You mix that with resins and vacuum/heat to produce panels.

So not sure where "plastic" comes in..

-92' Acura Legend 5spd coupe twin turbo project
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 02:38 PM   #6
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Real carbon fiber is made from different weaves of actual carbon filaments that have already been "spun". You mix that with resins and vacuum/heat to produce panels.

the decorative carbon fiber that everyone generally refers to uses the cf more for it's aesthetic, with various amounts of plastic-type resins to encapsulate it and retain the panels stiffness/shape.

'dry' or 'prepeg' carbon fiber prioritizes the carbon fibers strength over it's appearance by using as little resin as possible.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Are you guys talking about an interior trim that makes no difference in anything? Not a carbon fiber drive shaft or something functionally important right?

I don't see any point of using real carbon fiber in a place where it has no strength and/or weight advantage over ordinary plastic. In that sense, it is waste of carbon fiber for inside trim, real, fake or whatever. To me, using unnecessary carbon fiber just for decoration is also fake.
mrg666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #8
MJones_RB

Drives: Scion FR-S Series 10 #2462
Garage
There is no real carbon fiber on any of the 10-Series cars. It's just plastic with a molded fiber pattern.
MJones_RB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJones_RB For This Useful Post:
JonnyObnoxious (07-12-2020)
Old 06-29-2020, 04:33 PM   #9
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post

Real ‘Carbon Fiber’ is actually called Graphite fiber reinforced plastic, or carbon fiber reinforced plastic. The matrix is plastic. Spun/laid/woven/chopped whatever shape graphite fibers reinforcing said plastic.

My point was that both can be shined up with plastic polish as they’re both plastic. Just don’t sand down to the fibers on the real thing.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 12:52 PM   #10
JonnyObnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg666 View Post
Are you guys talking about an interior trim that makes no difference in anything? Not a carbon fiber drive shaft or something functionally important right?

I don't see any point of using real carbon fiber in a place where it has no strength and/or weight advantage over ordinary plastic. In that sense, it is waste of carbon fiber for inside trim, real, fake or whatever. To me, using unnecessary carbon fiber just for decoration is also fake.
I'm referring to the fog light surrounds, windshield cowling, and rear air dam specifically. Real laid CF peices would be more rigid and durable than the CF pattern printed plastics.

Though I may also replace some of the interior with CF. But not the dash since it lights up all fancy. I want to go with a blue trim interior that is otherwise Series 10 stock.

Old 07-12-2020, 01:15 PM   #11
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,094 Times in 2,044 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quote:
I'm referring to the fog light surrounds, windshield cowling, and rear air dam specifically. Real laid CF peices would be more rigid and durable than the CF pattern printed plastics.

Though I may also replace some of the interior with CF. But not the dash since it lights up all fancy. I want to go with a blue trim interior that is otherwise Series 10 stock.

What about the stock pieces makes you think they're not durable?
My car has seen scenarios like the photo of it below, and my bumper/bezels and rear bumper are totally unscathed.

DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 01:34 PM   #12
JonnyObnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What about the stock pieces makes you think they're not durable?

My car has seen scenarios like the photo of it below, and my bumper/bezels and rear bumper are totally unscathed.

I thnk you misunderstand. I'm not saying they're not durable. I'm saying CF is more durable. The CF printed plastics on my Series 10 that I named are damaged and/or highly worn: my car just hit 115k miles. While there are methods of polishing the plastics, I'm looking at doing a 2.0 update on it and would like the added touch of a true CF over the CF patterned plastic.

Also, my front bumper is pretty beat up from previous owners. I think my biggest challenge will be finding the silver ignition paint and a shop that can apply it to OEM spec. But I'm just starting to look.

Old 07-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,661 Times in 6,778 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
I thnk you misunderstand. I'm not saying they're not durable. I'm saying CF is more durable. The CF printed plastics on my Series 10 that I named are damaged and/or highly worn: my car just hit 115k miles. While there are methods of polishing the plastics, I'm looking at doing a 2.0 update on it and would like the added touch of a true CF over the CF patterned plastic.

Also, my front bumper is pretty beat up from previous owners. I think my biggest challenge will be finding the silver ignition paint and a shop that can apply it to OEM spec. But I'm just starting to look.

things made out of 'plastic' is the same as things made by 'honda'. there's a metric crapton of variations within the category. just because one type of plastic gets brittle and breaks in certain conditions does not mean that all plastics will.

i can say for certain that the urethane/poly propalene 'plastic' bumpers and cowling pieces are much more durable than a rigid carbon fiber piece of in those areas. they have much more flexibility as a plastic variant than any carbon fiber process currently available.

carbon fiber parts will retain more rigidity until they come into contact with something. and then they'll splinter like cordwood, or your wallet when you see the replacement costs...
Old 07-12-2020, 04:13 PM   #14
JonnyObnoxious

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post

carbon fiber parts will retain more rigidity until they come into contact with something. and then they'll splinter like cordwood, or your wallet when you see the replacement costs...
Well, I'm not exactly planning on hitting things.

Real CF is simply going to look better than the CF patterned plastics there now. Just like a real aluminum panel is going to look better than an aluminum wrap on a part. Yes, it costs more.